Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

Will you write my blog while I do that?

Heck yeah!

I can even put a little damper on all the positive foofy comments for once. :)

(I'm kidding, you do a good job. I just wish you had the chance to sit where some people do who pay pretty hefty prices for their seats...)

*sighs* How is it a financial risk to open the roof? Please do tell.

If there is rain coming, keep it closed.

If there is not rain, *try* to open it.

Nobody is saying keep it open all 3 nights no matter what... I have yet to hear any valid reasons or arguments on why it would be this "huge financial risk" for opening it. That's just not right to say, nor does it have any backing whatsoever.

And about having the same conditions for each night, that's horsecrap. I DO AGREE with having the same conditions for THAT night (i.e. finals, semis, etc). But to say you need conditions to be equal across 3 nights is dumb. One night it could be breezy and 75 degrees out with the roof open -- same conditions for all.

But then say for Finals, it rains, then you close it. Simple. That way you still end up with the same competitive conditions for all of the corps, for all of that particular night.

Directors dealt with outdoor and varying conditions for over 35 years, so to say now that it would be completely unfair to "x" corps if it was different conditions from prelims to finals is a sham. Just my two cents.

Rain doesn't always show up on the way on radar. Sometimes it just develops. Part of any "huge financial risk" is if rain does form over Indy and the field gets drenched...and the black fabric that is covering the back and much of the side stands. And as mentioned earlier, opening the roof with all that fabric could create some unwanted action in the fabric as it responds to breezes and possible wind gusts. Having it open part of Prelims or Semifinals and then having to close it would potentially create an imbalance with how later corps are perceived compared to the earlier corps.

I would love for the DCI World Championships to be held in weather like we had in Bloomington in 2008, but not like the weather Bloomington had weeks earlier when days of solid rain opened up the sinkhole on the south goal line.

INDY for the next 100 years.

Yeah, with the roof open when its not raining or too hot. Sounds awesome. Lets do it.

Rain doesn't always show up on the way on radar. Sometimes it just develops. Part of any "huge financial risk" is if rain does form over Indy and the field gets drenched...and the black fabric that is covering the back and much of the side stands. And as mentioned earlier, opening the roof with all that fabric could create some unwanted action in the fabric as it responds to breezes and possible wind gusts. Having it open part of Prelims or Semifinals and then having to close it would potentially create an imbalance with how later corps are perceived compared to the earlier corps.

I would love for the DCI World Championships to be held in weather like we had in Bloomington in 2008, but not like the weather Bloomington had weeks earlier when days of solid rain opened up the sinkhole on the south goal line.

You missed the part of the discussion where we talked about laying the fabric across the seats like they do along the sides. There is no reason that can't happen to lessen the chance for wind or the curtains blowing away. Take them out if you have to, and let the open air create the live atmosphere. You might have reverb, but you'll have much more of a front end acoustical experience hitting the audience. There are options, the curtains are not the end all be all to why the roof can't be opened.

And there are days where I can guarantee you that it will not rain based on atmospheric conditions. If there is a 0% chance by the local NWS office, that is usually 99.999% accurate. If there is a 20% chance, that's different. I have friends who are meteorologists, and I often contemplated going into that field when I first went to college, so I know there are days where it is pretty much assured that it will not rain. Those days included ones like Thursday last week.

But again... the roof closes in 9 minutes. So you cannot tell me it would be impossible to remedy a situation where a popup shower is nearby. If it's a popup only and the rest of the day really was only a 0% or 10% chance of rain, they delay it the 10 or 15 minutes it would take to reopen the roof and make it "fair" for the rest of the corps to perform under the same conditions.... I'm obviously creating the perfect situation here, which most likely would never ever happen.

And financial risk is entirely on the ICVB in the end, because they have the ultimate say in whether or not it goes open, NOT DCI or Dan Acheson. They wouldn't let it open if it absolutely should not be open due to a chance of rain. They've allowed Kenny Chesney and other concerts, and also a monster truck rally and high school football games to be in "open air", so they are experienced at making the right decision based on conditions.

Then again, Indiana is the amazon rain forest according to many people... so all of the above is just a pipe dream.

Edited by IMcomguy

Heck yeah!

I can even put a little damper on all the positive foofy comments for once. :)

(I'm kidding, you do a good job. I just wish you had the chance to sit where some people do who pay pretty hefty prices for their seats...)

Hey, I got a quite a number of negative responses when I didn't write mega-glowing reports on some corps even when I was being positive...more than I've ever gotten. Within a week, I was even told I was biased towards one corps and then told I was biased against the same corps. If you were to "put a damper" on the positive comments, I will not be responsible for pulling the arrows out of your derriere.

And I've paid a hefty price to sit where I'm sitting...over three decades of cultivating whatever the heck it is that I do. :tongue:

I'm not saying I don't feel for those in the outer realm of seating, but the really expensive tickets are among the first to disappear because people are willing to pay for them. I'd like to drive a Porsche, but my economic reality puts me in a Honda. It still gets me to what I want to see, just not in as much style.

I'm not saying I don't feel for those in the outer realm of seating, but the really expensive tickets are among the first to disappear because people are willing to pay for them. I'd like to drive a Porsche, but my economic reality puts me in a Honda. It still gets me to what I want to see, just not in as much style.

No, they disappear because they are not even available. They are "blacked out" for Friends of DCI, who are either big time donors, or special guests. Not necessarily people who even show up to watch the show (look at how many of the FODCI tickets end up on eBay, StubHub, Craigslist, or DCP. Then your remaining $125 seats that are actually "on sale" were not even close to being sold out this year. Sections 139 and 141 for example had rows of 6 and 8 tickets left the night before finals because everyone was running to grab the cheaper $55 and $75 seats on the edges.

People that do pay the $125 and want to sit up high only have 432 and out, or 428 and out... which is 35 yard lines and beyond. Last year it was $125 out to the goal line (!!!) before DCI wised up and changed that price tier to $75 or $55, finally.

Sorry, getting off topic here. Let's go back now...

Edited by IMcomguy

No, they disappear because they are not even available. They are "blacked out" for Friends of DCI, who are either big time donors, or special guests. Not necessarily people who even show up to watch the show (look at how many of the FODCI tickets end up on eBay, StubHub, Craigslist, or DCP. Then your remaining $125 seats that are actually "on sale" were not even close to being sold out this year. Sections 139 and 141 for example had rows of 6 and 8 tickets left the night before finals because everyone was running to grab the cheaper $55 and $75 seats on the edges.

People that do pay the $125 and want to sit up high only have 432 and out, or 428 and out... which is 35 yard lines and beyond. Last year it was $125 out to the goal line (!!!) before DCI wised up and changed that price tier to $75 or $55, finally.

Sorry, getting off topic here. Let's go back now...

From what I've been told, the seats, which are available to someone, (and I don't know the details there), do sell out. If the people don't or can't show up, that is a shame. Some people find it worthwhile to become Friends of DCI for this purpose, some don't. But at least everyone has a chance to do so, provided they can afford it, just like I have a chance to fly around the world to sample tofu at the world's finest vegetarian restaurants.

Was the audience way past the goal lines Saturday night because the center sections were largely empty?

From what I've been told, the seats, which are available to someone, (and I don't know the details there), do sell out. If the people don't or can't show up, that is a shame. Some people find it worthwhile to become Friends of DCI for this purpose, some don't. But at least everyone has a chance to do so, provided they can afford it, just like I have a chance to fly around the world to sample tofu at the world's finest vegetarian restaurants.

Was the audience way past the goal lines Saturday night because the center sections were largely empty?

No, they were past the goal lines because DCI did a great job of pushing their last minute $10 tickets, and a bunch of corps kids came and sat in the empty seats (and slid over as well). You have to be down there to know just how much seat-hopping there was. It's unfortunate, but it's what happens at DCI Finals when you give seats to Friends of DCI members that inevitably don't show up.

Maybe one of these years I'll be an FODCI member, then again I may want to ride in my Porsche that night instead... cruising the sights on the streets of Indy.

• Like 1

You certainly have the right, as we all do, to express your opinion. My opinion is they should, as quickly as possible, sign an extension of the contract for LOS from 10 years to 20.

IMO......I think you are in luck. The DCI championships (IMO) will be held at LOS for as long as dci is in existence. The only thing I believe that would change things is if the folks of Indy/LOS....tell DCI they are not interested in hosting anymore....