Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

I asked two. One blamed dci, one blamed los management

No one blamed me? I'll have to work harder next year.

Yes, it is a big deal.

If the corps directors wanted the roof to be open, I suspect it would be open. Has anyone asked a corps director why there hasn't been a groundswell amongst themselves to open the roof?

It's been mentioned elsewhere this week how wind would mess with the black fabric put up for sound muffling.

I know many corps staff who have been in communication with directors about it. From all accounts, they all want to try.

It was kind of put off this year after the #### that hit the fan when the G7 wanted to bolt. I think DCI just kind of figured it was no longer an issue. Unfortunately, they're wrong. And people are still waiting for the 2010 experiment to actually take place.

I know it's nice to sit where you were at (I was two rows in front of your table in section 440 during prelims), but one day you should take a step outside of your little VIP box and take a stroll to the 25 yard line and sit where people are still paying $125 to sit for Finals to listen to crappy acoustics.

• Like 1

Roof will never be open if finals are in Indianapolis. Too big of a financial risk and the corps directors want the same conditions for every corps every night.

Best that fans can hope for is that once every ten years DCI will go some place else. That site will The Meadowlands Stadium not Denver. DCI has kept 40 years of data on their fan base and it clearly shows where the Championships should be held.

When the current $152 million renovation is complete, I say . . . .

ROSE BOWL in 2014.

:thumbup:

If we ever return to that venue, it will be too soon. I have been to Finals every year since '94, and that ranks right down near the bottom alongside the Citrus Bowl. As for 2014, we're committed to the Can for a few more years. I'm not a fan of LOS, but will gladly choose it over the Rose Bowl. I am hopeful that once the contract is up, we can once again move the Championships around.

Build it and they will come.

DCI and Indy built it and the people are coming. Sound issues are improving. $125 a ticket is a small price to pay for the certainty of the show going on and for the safety of the children and spectators. this is a football field in a great stadium. Not some half baked baseball field in the middle of the ghetto.

INDY for the next 100 years.

• Like 1

Roof will never be open if finals are in Indianapolis. Too big of a financial risk and the corps directors want the same conditions for every corps every night.

*sighs* How is it a financial risk to open the roof? Please do tell.

If there is rain coming, keep it closed.

If there is not rain, *try* to open it.

Nobody is saying keep it open all 3 nights no matter what... I have yet to hear any valid reasons or arguments on why it would be this "huge financial risk" for opening it. That's just not right to say, nor does it have any backing whatsoever.

And about having the same conditions for each night, that's horsecrap. I DO AGREE with having the same conditions for THAT night (i.e. finals, semis, etc). But to say you need conditions to be equal across 3 nights is dumb. One night it could be breezy and 75 degrees out with the roof open -- same conditions for all.

But then say for Finals, it rains, then you close it. Simple. That way you still end up with the same competitive conditions for all of the corps, for all of that particular night.

Directors dealt with outdoor and varying conditions for over 35 years, so to say now that it would be completely unfair to "x" corps if it was different conditions from prelims to finals is a sham. Just my two cents.

Edited by IMcomguy

You want an interesting piece of reading material???

How the ICVB and the city of Indianapolis sold this to DCI...

Title of Article: "ICVA: Stadium's retractable roof worth the cost"

http://www.ibj.com/lucas-oil-stadium-becomes-music-magnet/PARAMS/article/6442

Three music events with direct visitor spending estimated at $28 million that were hosted at Lucas Oil Stadium offer proof, city officials said, that the expense of the retractable roof and other features of the $720 million facility are paying off.
“The potential to offer an outdoor experience is huge in our ability to book events at that facility,”
Among those events are the music events that make up the backbone of the city’s Music Crossroads initiative. The idea behind the initiative, Welsh said, is to use Lucas Oil Stadium and the surrounding infrastructure to draw various music events.
Drum Corps International marched into the stadium Aug. 4-8, drawing 30,000 spectators and bringing the city $10 million in direct visitor spending, according to the ICVA, despite the weak economy.
DCI often uses open-air stadiums, but it likes the flexibility Lucas Oil Stadium offers if the weather is bad.
The roof can’t be opened if there is a threat of rain because there is no drainage system inside the stadium and many electronic features are not waterproof. The roof also can’t be opened when the outside temperature is below 40 degrees or above 90 because it’s too expensive and ineffective to control the inside temperature with the roof open.

There is plenty more............

• Like 1

I know it's nice to sit where you were at (I was two rows in front of your table in section 440 during prelims), but one day you should take a step outside of your little VIP box and take a stroll to the 25 yard line and sit where people are still paying $125 to sit for Finals to listen to crappy acoustics.

Will you write my blog while I do that?