SCV 2012

2012 will be Vanguard's 45th Anniversary. Should they blow off the dust on some old charts and revamp them. What would you like them to do besides Phantom of the Opera or Fiddler?

My list is long but recently I keep listening and watching '85:

Festive Overture by Dimitri Shostakovich

Grover's Corner (from Our Town) by Aaron Copland

Tender Land by Aaron Copland

The Red Pony by Aaron Copland

Very Santa Clara

For an anniversary show, I'd love to see new treatments of -

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=3&corpstype=Junior

The Canyon (SCV '99)

The Young Prince and the Young Princess (SCV '04)

Stained Glass for Percussion (SCV '00)

Great Gate of Kiev (SCV '87)

... okay, maybe my future is not in show programming, but I'd still love to see it... :thumbup:

Mike

• Like 1

I have always wanted to see SCV do a complete Les Mis production, but not one year after BAC did it.

Rather than just pulling certain pieces I would like to see a complete production of Pictures at an Exhibition.

• Like 2

2012 will be Vanguard's 45th Anniversary. Should they blow off the dust on some old charts and revamp them. What would you like them to do besides Phantom of the Opera or Fiddler?

My list is long but recently I keep listening and watching '85:

Festive Overture by Dimitri Shostakovich

Grover's Corner (from Our Town) by Aaron Copland

Tender Land by Aaron Copland

The Red Pony by Aaron Copland

Very Santa Clara

Ahhh, the first year of the King K90 Contras, solidifying SCV's Low Brass sound of the 80s. I would only change one thing about your request: I'd want the 1984 push from Tender Land instead of 1985, but keep the French Horn high Bb from 85, lol.

I would only change one thing about your request: I'd want the 1984 push from Tender Land instead of 1985, but keep the French Horn high Bb from 85, lol.

THIS!!!!!!

Key Poulan and John Meehan were gonna stick that push into Vanguardian Sketches for the 07 BD/SCV alum corps...I was STOKED when Key told me....and majorly bummed when they took it out...I think they replaced it with the stuff from 04 (which was a poor choice, IMO). Ah well...at least I got to play Bottle Dance, PoTH, and the Festive Overture opening!!

• Like 1

Either Festive Overture or Russian Christmas Music for starters, followed by Young Peoples' Guide to Drum Corps. Closer would have to be Send in the Clowns. We'll leave the staff to surprise us with Bottle Dance as an ending tag.

I've always felt that YPGDC is a timeless piece. With their percussion, they'd really shine during the drum breaks.

And now my selections...in no particular order:

Bottle Dance (DUH!)

Procession of the Nobles (with the Peter T 4th opening)

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

Lezghinka/Stone Ground Seven (gotta throw a bone to the drum line!)

Slava

Tender Land (as before...84 version)

Festive Overture

Great Gate of Kiev

Something from Phantom of the Opera

New Era, New Era, New New New...New Era

Send in the Clowns (again, DUH!)

Lezghinka

They played this as their instant encore for the ToC show in Houston. It was one of the few that I really enjoyed (along with Cavies and Phantom).

I'd love to hear any of the following:

Giannini's 3rd symphony, 4th movement

Grover's Corner

The Red Pony

The Tender Land

Russian Christmas

Capriccio Espanol

Slava

Festive Overture

The Great Gate

Young Person's Guide

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

All I Ask Of You

But... no matter what they play, they have to bring back the tunnel and white pants!!!

• Like 1

I was thinking about this on the ride home from Allentown PA during my 6500+ mile Lap of America trip I just took on my motorcycle...I don't wear ear buds or listen to music when I ride, so I found myself mentally rehearsing all the music for Freelancers Alumni Corps since I'm heading to DCA, and kept cycling back to YPG. It's now been over 30 years since SCV has done Young Person's Guide, and I could see a whole show structured around it.

I agree with Bruckner8 about the T-land push; between the two I for one very much disliked the '85 version not only from a musical standpoint, but the drill was weak too even though Vince Noble and I landed a camera closeup. To this day I still can't believe we won Visual that night; I would rather have won (or tied for) Brass.

Sam-- Thanks to you, after years & years I finally got to "legally" play the lead bari part in Free (on a K-70!) in '07; what a hype!

Edited by TRacer