A new rule proposal

I wish all copyright holders realized this fact: Once I heard the Scouts play their 2001 closer, I went home that very night and purchased the entire Alicia Keys Mp3 album containing the song Empire State of Mind Part II. I can also go back through every year I have heard/seen drum corps shows and point to origonal source material which I discovered, and then purchased, due to hearing a drum corps arrangement. How copyright holders can argue with that is beyond me.

yup, same here. Also bought Nature Boy ( both the Miles Davis and the Moulin rouge versions), Creep, another version of Hallelujah ( already owned 2) Paint It Black, and even the music from the finals montage Closer to the Edge.

I hadn't realized there were two problems of this nature in 2008. The missing section of Phantom Regiment's "Spartacus" is well known, but it was only when I watched the Troopers' video tonight that I learned their "Iron Horse Express" has a section of video only, with a note explaining that the "Song of the Gandy Dancers" audio had to be cut. Naturally it's all been discussed before on DCP. The irony there is that the composer is Richard Saucedo, prominent in drum corps. It apparently was not he but his publisher who charged more for synchronization rights than DCI can afford.

Which prompts me to note that a further factor to keep in mind concerning licensing is that some rights-holders probably give DCI an affordable rate with the stipulation that no other licensor will receive more favorable terms. So if DCI agrees to one licensor's high rate, they would have to pay other rights-holders the same deal: any potential increase in cost therefore must be multiplied, perhaps many times.

The copyright firm working with DCI is very experienced and very good at knowing which pieces are likely to receive the ok, and which ones may be a problem, and the likely price point(s).

So if the copyright firm working with DCI know a piece is unlikely to receive permission then DCI should have a rule that states the corps can't use it.

DCI should be doing everything in their power to ensure their end of season flagship product is fit for purpose.

So if the copyright firm working with DCI know a piece is unlikely to receive permission then DCI should have a rule that states the corps can't use it.

When a copyright holder can suddenly change their mind (Regiment 08), that's kinda hard to do, don't you think?

DCI should be doing everything in their power to ensure their end of season flagship product is fit for purpose.

How much "power" do you think DCI has over this?? Drum corps is a miniscule player in the entertainment market, no matter how much fans bay wish to believe otherwise...the corporate suits only care about the bottom line.

When a copyright holder can suddenly change their mind (Regiment 08), that's kinda hard to do, don't you think?

How much "power" do you think DCI has over this?? Drum corps is a miniscule player in the entertainment market, no matter how much fans bay wish to believe otherwise...the corporate suits only care about the bottom line.

very true

Pinning this issue on DCI, for one, is silly.

And would much rather have heard Madison the 8 or 9 times live I did this summer, and not get to hear it on the DVD/BRD... than to not have been privileged to hear them at all.

I'm glad I got to hear the performance. It affected me... I still can't get the stupid song out of my head and walk around humming it all day. :thumbup:

Hopefully they will get it on the BRD/DVD. But if they don't, that's not DCI's fault.

Dumb question, but were all the 'license issues' in place for the Legacy Series; DVDs?

I have 1974-1983 (except 81), which is a whole lot of drum corps. There are a few places where the video drops out, supposedly do to condition of the original source, but nowhere is something missing due to 'license issues'. I also remember discussions in DCI Contest Guild (sort of a hard-copy newspaper that evolved decades later into their website) that stated all corps needed to make sure they were meeting copyright requirements.

So, did that copyright law change, or back then were corps more diligent in securing permission (I doubt this one), or are copyright owners more aggressive now in defending their rights, likely due to issues arising from TSTMNBM or Napster? Or is it something else (statute of limitations perhaps)?

Pinning this issue on DCI, for one, is silly.

And would much rather have heard Madison the 8 or 9 times live I did this summer, and not get to hear it on the DVD/BRD... than to not have been privileged to hear them at all.

I'm glad I got to hear the performance. It affected me... I still can't get the stupid song out of my head and walk around humming it all day. :thumbup:

Hopefully they will get it on the BRD/DVD. But if they don't, that's not DCI's fault.

then surely you understand that it's a great shame those who didn't see Madison Scouts live in 2011 + all future generations will never get the chance to be moved just like you.

You're right, a copyright holder who suddenly changes their mind is something that can't be legislated for but that particular set of circumstances is rare.

DCI have a responsibility to their paying customers to ensure their products are complete. I don't think they're doing that.

I'm quite sure the powers that be in LOS could get together and come up with some sort of process that would avoid minutes of silence on the DVDs.