Vanguard Brass Staff.

GR had that burning desire to win! He drove to the corps to succeed. He was the corps founder and its benevolent dictator. He may have made a mistake in not grooming someone to take his place. However, I don’t think he planned on passing away within a year of his retirement. Jeff’s success with the Cavalries is well documented, but he needs to prove it was not a fluke. So far, in three seasons, he has not.

Gail loved the Vanguard. It was his world and meant the world to him. Unless you've marched in the Vanguard, you cannot feel this feeling. Unless, of course, you were its founder, which Gail was.

• Like 2

With regards to this kind of discussion (this isn't statistics class), there are two basic kinds of validity, face validity and content validity. And they aren't measured, they are correlated.

+++

True, but mostly I was asking about the construct validity of the instrument he uses to predict the "results" he provides. I should have asked for an effect size, agreed, but I just like giving Bruckner a hard time with this. He knows it, and this is nothing new, as we have discussed/debated his idea before. As Bruckner said in a different post, we have met each other before in person, although the conversation had more to do with music and mutual acquaintances. Its just a healthy debate, nothing more. If there is something to his idea, then it should be able to withstand critique.

I think, however, it'd be a much easier task to correlate a corps' finances and their level of competitiveness.

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Tony, I am an older SCV alum and will back you on your comments. Absolutely.

If this is the Mo (Maureen) I know and love, then you certainly are not older, and thanks for backing me! I grew up here and lived this stuff I know of what I speak! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Um, what? I'm sure thousands of people beg to differ about the hornline being "disastrous" from beginning to end this year. Posts like these are totally unnecessary and it really makes me sad to see that there are people involved in this activity that would say something like that about another corps.

I've got a lot more to say about posts like these, but I won't because I don't feel like wasting my time right now. Last thing I'm gunna say is this: listen to SCV's ballad from this year and tell me that that hornline was disastrous and doesn't represent this corps' amazing brass traditions. I don't think you'll be able to. Tons of people got crazy chills and teared up during SCV's show this year. Since that's the case, I'd say that this show totally represents SCV's great traditions.

Exactly.

It doesnt matter what happens the rest of the season sometimes.

People dont recognize improvement and achievement. SCV started rough, sure, but then after that, it was over for them. It didnt matter what they did after that. The idiot public believes what they are told to believe. I think Phantom Regiments percussion fell victim to this same problem. Rennick left. Automatically it was "oh man.. they are gonna SUCK without rennick!".

They came out dirty (like ALL drumlines do in June) and everyone says "see? I told you so... They are awful because Rennick left". As a result they were pretty undervalued all season long.

• Like 5

Maybe he does... But Jeff is the kind of guy who needs the entire Vanguard Organization to be clicking on all cylinders in order to make effective change as he is a kinder and gentler sort than Mr. Royer was. Mr. Royer was the sort to lift the entire organization onto his back and carry it across the finish line if it were necessary. Any older SCV alum will back me up on this. If you are one then you probably shouldn't be arguing this point with me.

Mr. Royers Hard as Nails approach is what caused me to commute from my Home in San Jose to Concord, I could have never lived through that kind of situation but watched as the 1981 SCV Corps kicked out butts at DCI In Great Part because of the drive and determination of a leader that would not be denied, these great leaders have something that others do not have... The ability to instill that drive into others and have them do as well as they are able!

Maybe California has made Jeff soft then as I certainly can recall him being quite intense in the midwest.

As far as the "all cylinders" argument, Jeff is someone that makes an organization operate at its best. He's an operations and management wizard! Ive never met anyone else like him.

• Like 3

...actually...to say that an organization needs to be working well for the manager to make it productive doesnt really make a lot of sense to me.

What is the managers job but to make sure the organization is being productive?

• Like 1

Maybe California has made Jeff soft then as I certainly can recall him being quite intense in the midwest.

As far as the "all cylinders" argument, Jeff is someone that makes an organization operate at its best. He's an operations and management wizard! Ive never met anyone else like him.

Interesting take... So three years and three brass staffs would indicate what exactly? excellent culture and hiring practices? I think not sir...

...actually...to say that an organization needs to be working well for the manager to make it productive doesnt really make a lot of sense to me.

What is the managers job but to make sure the organization is being productive?

It is what I said isnt it... but in all frankness, here on DCP we try to be nice the first time we say something, it was a nice way to say that in three years Jeff has not changed the culture there one iota! and that he is not making headway... Me thinks he might be the wrong guy for the job because IMO the organization needs a MAJOR overhaul and until someone guts it, and changes the culture to one that is condusive to retention of staff and consistantly dynamic and awe inspring product. SCV will remain where they are without UPWARDLY MOBILE change.

• Like 1

Can Jeff remove people from the board of directors, since, according to someone on this post, it is the board of directors that keep changing the brass staff? If not, there's not much he can do.

• Like 2

It is what I said isnt it... but in all frankness, here on DCP we try to be nice the first time we say something, it was a nice way to say that in three years Jeff has not changed the culture there one iota! and that he is not making headway... Me thinks he might be the wrong guy for the job because IMO the organization needs a MAJOR overhaul and until someone guts it, and changes the culture to one that is condusive to retention of staff and consistantly dynamic and awe inspring product. SCV will remain where they are without UPWARDLY MOBILE change.

Guess you would have been busting on Royer, Sanford, and Emmons after their combined efforts lead Vanguard to a 7th place finish in '80, eh?

Vanguard's trying to do something a little different these days, and if the tradeoff for them doing Bartok, et al, is finishing 5th-7th rather than finishing 1st or 2nd with lesser material (like, ahem, a barely disguised re-arrangement of Puccini by Andrew Lloyd Webber), put me down as a fan.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 6