Vanguard Brass Staff.

Can I just say... the horns never sounded "bad." They were just not loud enough. And it took A LOT of GE out of the show. When it's your first year with a horn line, you're not always going for volume. You are trying to teach the right playing habits and building a foundation to work off of in years to come (however, I do think that the hornline has to remain effective no matter how much building you have to do). Unfortunately... SCV HAS to be competitive NOW or it's the end of the world. I personally thought the horns this years sounded great! When you could hear them.... and that is a problem. I think they could have given it another year.. let them build the horn line, but I don't see a problem with a change either. And I could see valid reasoning behind it.

Basically. New brass staff welcomed. Could have given other guys another chance, but I have no problem with them not being given a chance. I mean... the horn line was lacking some serious volume. That show would have been a lot more widely liked if it has been performed to par.

I hope you can understand my disconnected thoughts at this time of night. :)

• Like 6

I've rekindled my love of drum corps less than 5 years ago after a hiatus of 22 years. We went to finals in 2010. I did not blink when I watched drum corps live. I couldn't travel in 2011 and watched lots of Fan Network (btw the Denver footage was awesome :) and did not blink when I watched and listened to 2011 SCV numerous times. It's intricate, fast, dynamic. I liked it alot and will watch and listen again to find another innuendo. Very cool SCV! signed a fan of SCV since 73 :)

Perhaps I'm esoteric and shouldn't go to a show 'cause ya don't want me there :(

I agree with you. I think this was a show for the ages. Few other corps put on a show so intricate and demanding, and I for one enjoyed it more than several units that finished above them. I hope they continue to travel that path most of the time with unique and daring music, and not pander. They were one of the few corps that showed me something new this year. I think they are doing something right. I'm glad to find someone who saw something similar.

• Like 3

Look at the Bluecoats thread. Rumor mill says Bluecoats brass instructors are heading to SCV en masse.

I thought it was just a few of the Bluecoats brass staff not the whole brass staff. something like 3 or 4 people.

I thought it was just a few of the Bluecoats brass staff not the whole brass staff. something like 3 or 4 people.

You are correct. It is my understanding that Dave McKinnon and some others are staying on with the Bluecoats while George Wozniak and some others are headed to SCV.

Can I just say... the horns never sounded "bad." They were just not loud enough. And it took A LOT of GE out of the show. When it's your first year with a horn line, you're not always going for volume. You are trying to teach the right playing habits and building a foundation to work off of in years to come (however, I do think that the hornline has to remain effective no matter how much building you have to do). Unfortunately... SCV HAS to be competitive NOW or it's the end of the world. I personally thought the horns this years sounded great! When you could hear them.... and that is a problem. I think they could have given it another year.. let them build the horn line, but I don't see a problem with a change either. And I could see valid reasoning behind it.

Basically. New brass staff welcomed. Could have given other guys another chance, but I have no problem with them not being given a chance. I mean... the horn line was lacking some serious volume. That show would have been a lot more widely liked if it has been performed to par.

I hope you can understand my disconnected thoughts at this time of night. :)

This is the only things I really disagree with in your post. To my ears, they sounded rough pretty often. Not all the time, but often. They did get to a point later on in the year where they did not sound rough nearly as much, but it they never really got clean either. I have heard groups that were not very loud that played the precision game and it worked just fine. BUT the problem is, when you take the emotion out of the program (i.e. the effect) everything becomes about the ensemble which is all well and good until you have ensemble issues. If / when you do, you end up getting slaughtered by the judges and you get a lot less leeway from the fans.

Anyways, what is done is done and the new folks should do just fine.

• Like 2

This is the only things I really disagree with in your post. To my ears, they sounded rough pretty often. Not all the time, but often. They did get to a point later on in the year where they did not sound rough nearly as much, but it they never really got clean either. I have heard groups that were not very loud that played the precision game and it worked just fine. BUT the problem is, when you take the emotion out of the program (i.e. the effect) everything becomes about the ensemble which is all well and good until you have ensemble issues. If / when you do, you end up getting slaughtered by the judges and you get a lot less leeway from the fans.

Anyways, what is done is done and the new folks should do just fine.

I can agree with this comment, and it's finally a decent one. Thank you for saying it tactfully and more accurately! Much appreciated!

• Like 1

If Rennick is a home run, I would call this hire a triple. That's only because I have huge props for Rennick. A brass hire equivalent of a Rennick would be Wayne Downey or Donnie VanDoren and that's about it. All in all I think this is a excellent hire for the Vanguard and I expect great things in the upcoming years with their brass program.

So would JD Shaw be an equivalent of a Rennick? satisfied.gif

• Like 1

I agree with you. I think this was a show for the ages. Few other corps put on a show so intricate and demanding, and I for one enjoyed it more than several units that finished above them. I hope they continue to travel that path most of the time with unique and daring music, and not pander. They were one of the few corps that showed me something new this year. I think they are doing something right. I'm glad to find someone who saw something similar.

Yes! And I agree with you and Lindap. I LOVED SCV 2011, (and 2010 for that matter). SCV personifies a level of cool, complex sophistication unlike any other corps, IMO. If all these staff changes help them climb competitively, well.... great. But, please, please, please do not change the current Vanguard style. I'll run screaming from the stadium at the first sign of pandering or gimmickry.... :crazy:

• Like 2