DCA is competitive again.

there needs to be a rule that all DCA corps need to run at least one show for DCA member corps....if there isn't one already. They need to find a way to strengthen all regions and promote the founding of new corps and shows.

And how do you do that when there's no DCA region like out west?? Technically, Renegades DO run a show (late July) that SoCal Dream appears in (thus taking care of THAT requirement), but that's also a DCI show in the first place. Ad putting on a show is a very expensive proposition...something that some corps probably can't afford to do without damaging their ability to get down the road to perform.

Please think these things through before you start throwing around "requirements." Putting on a show and driving the corps into the ground isn't much different from trying to tour nationally and driving the corps into the ground.

This year marked DCA's 47th season! With the addition of Minnesota Brass, 10 corps have won the DCA Championship: (If this is not right please feel free to make corrections)

Corps - #of wins

Buccs - 10

Cabs - 9

Bush - 6

Sunrisers - 6

Brigs - 5

Empire - 5

Hurcs - 3

Skyliners - 3

Westshore - 1

M.B.I - 1

Congrats to Minnesota Brass on this seasons Championship and making the list!

what you have adds up to 49.

I believe that's due to a tie between Bush and Sun 2 years in a row?

what you have adds up to 49.

There were some ties on the way! :lookaround: 1988 Bush & Sun, 1997 Brigs & Empire.

I agree!!! Congratulations, Minnesota Brass!!

In my opinion, however, it's been flagrantly obvious all season that the Ct. Hurricanes have the greatest Color Guard!!

buy a video... count the drops alone... and look at it

YES greatest guard all season

NO not the greatest last night...

oh gee... the judges judged last night's performance and not what was "expected" ... pleasant happening for the activity

Edited by TomPeashey

I have a question after looking at the recaps. What is Communication?

You've been hearing that DCA wants the corps to be more entertaining and less artsy fartsy??? This is suppose to be the caption for how well the show connected with the audience.

And how do you do that when there's no DCA region like out west?? Technically, Renegades DO run a show (late July) that SoCal Dream appears in (thus taking care of THAT requirement), but that's also a DCI show in the first place. Ad putting on a show is a very expensive proposition...something that some corps probably can't afford to do without damaging their ability to get down the road to perform.

Please think these things through before you start throwing around "requirements." Putting on a show and driving the corps into the ground isn't much different from trying to tour nationally and driving the corps into the ground.

again,..........I read on here where someone ran a show, had 300 people in the stands,...........and they made money,............with that said,......why is it a bad idea to require competing corps to host a show,.............BTW, Cabs ran three this year,............ :blink:

It might have been an easier thing to accomplish had two of the West Coast seniors survived. St first there was Renegades, and Northwest Venture came shortly after that. We added SoCal Dream and River City Regiment the next couple if years, but NWV ran into difficulties and folded.

River City rose up enough to be the only West Coast all-age to beat the Renegades (and, believe it or not, Lee thought that was a good thing, too.) They ran into organizational difficulties the next year, and now we're back down to two.

A lot of people also don't understand the logistics of traveling out west. The Renegades and Dream are about 400 miles apart. That's a full day drive just for either corps to get to each other's shows. If NWV had survived and we wanted a central location for a West Coast championship it would have been in Medford, OR.

Can you see how having a requirement is much more difficult in one region than another? Dream and Renegades are lucky to get two weekends a year together, and that's usually after the DCI World Class corps are on the road ( except possibly Pacific Crest or Mandarins), so the audience draw is diminished making hosting a show even tougher financially. It would suck if both corps met their requirement obligation, but lost too much money to attend finals.

I'd love to see another all-age rise in the NW, and another in Central/Northern California, and for Sam to get off his butt and get En Garde going. There's also a project to get one going here in Las Vegas. Before we celebrate the possibility, though, get out a map of the US and see what kind if travel that entails just within the region and get back to us.

Garry in Vegas

Co-Founder, SoCal Dream

PS Kudos to Cabs for hosting three shows. They have enough corps in a smaller region than the West Coast to draw from.

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 3

I threw the "must travel" rule idea out there as a response to all the folks that seem to be so upset because the NE corps won't travel out of the region, and think that just because there's a bunch of non-NE votes now, things will radically change. When I suggested in another thread that they'd come if a show, in Atlanta maybe, made it worth their while, they freaked at the idea that a sponsor defray travel costs.

In truth, I don't really believe DCA should institute any such rule.

Edited by Kamarag