DCA is competitive again.

It's been competitive among MBI and Bucs for a couple of years now. MBI was the only corps that raised their game and beat Bucs at theirs. I'm really happy they were the corps to do it, and that they did it with both corps at their very best.

MBI won with an outstanding administration, great design, superior quality instruction, and and amazingly committed and motivated membership. Hopefully the MBI-Reading duel will continue for some years to come.

And maybe, if we're lucky, some other corps will figure out the formula for competitive success and join them.

last year you had a strong Empire in the mix too.

just because one corps wins a lot doesnt mean it's competitive.

I don't foresee any earth-shattering changes, but if they wanted to sneak in a rule requiring all corps to travel out of region for at least one show (say, in order to keep their prelims seeding or something), I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

it's not a rules congress year, so I doubt anything will change

A lot of people also don't understand the logistics of traveling out west. The Renegades and Dream are about 400 miles apart. That's a full day drive just for either corps to get to each other's shows. If NWV had survived and we wanted a central location for a West Coast championship it would have been in Medford, OR.

A lot of folks don't understand the logistics the NE corps deal with, either...

Bucs had an easy 5+ hour drive to Rochester

Same for Bush

Same for Cabs

Same for Hurcs

Same for Sun

Same for Fusion Core

Same for Windsor Regiment

(I could get from Vegas to LA faster!)

Even Excelsior traveled about 4 hours - and it's a straight shot across the State.

Heck, some of the DCA "Wheels" live around Providence, RI - a good 7 hours away.

It was a haul for everybody - well, except Empire and Peashey!

Heh...

Many people think the NE corps are right on top of each other.

T'ain't so - especially considering the conditions.

(Hurcs should be able to get to Clifton in 1 hour 44 minutes, according to the maps.

Yeah, right...)

I've driven up and down both Coasts, and getting around the NE is a lot slower...

(Narrower/rougher roads, slower speed limits, lousy weather etc.)

That's a far riskier proposition than the one I suggested. Holding a show when there's no support for one from the community can be fiscally disastrous.

"Holding A Show":

The Hawthorne Caballero have held TWO field competitions ("Cab's at the Beach", & "The Grand Prix") for the past several seasons as well as help with the late season show in Seccaucus NJ.

They also used to run a "Pre Season" standstill in Patterson NJ and a "Post Season" Standstill in Wildwood.

Elphaba

<snip>

I'd love to see another all-age rise in the NW, and another in Central/Northern California, and for Sam to get off his butt and get En Garde going. There's also a project to get one going here in Las Vegas. Before we celebrate the possibility, though, get out a map of the US and see what kind if travel that entails just within the region and get back to us.

There's one brewing in Fresno as we speak. Valley Thunder is currently a drum line only but from what I've been told, they plan on fielding a horn line next year.

artsy fartsy as you call it can be communicated quite well :rolleyes:

"A Failure to Communicate":

I can't speak for DCA Finals week, but "Way Back" at the Bridgeport Barnum the fourth and third place finishers (Hawthorne & Empire) got spontaneous "Stand up and cheer" standing "O"s while the eventual contest winning Buccaneers recieved a somewhat subduded "Courtesy C;lap", and walked off with the "High Communication" caption.

I was rolling MY eyes also....

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 2

Absolutely no problem! Fortunately, I can take it as well as I give it out. But again, I will reserve my opinion until I see the championship DVD's. And hell, I'm so gun shy that I may not give my opinion even then. NOT!! I agree with one of the previous posters however that MBI's win in the guard caption was a bit suspect 'cause again, as of what I saw at the end of July, Hurcs guard was head and shoulders above EVERYONE...including MBI. Hell, they must have added and cleaned a LOT of guard work in a month too! But at any rate, they ARE our champs, it is a GOOD thing for the circuit and they have my sincere congrats!!

They did serious cleaning! From the first show that I saw in June to DCI Minnesota to DCA... it was like looking at 3 different colorguards.

I have a question after looking at the recaps. What is Communication?

How well you are able to sell your product to the judges and the crowd. Is it understandable... etc.

They did serious cleaning! From the first show that I saw in June to DCI Minnesota to DCA... it was like looking at 3 different colorguards.

I hadn't seen MBI (this year) before last night and was suitably impressed. Their show was a really cohesive concept and they executed. I give them credit, they could have choked, but instead hit a home run!

The Bucs were great champions and have been a credit to DCA. I wasn't happy to see them fall, but I am happy for MBI if that's possible.

I have to say that I thought Fusion (disclaimer: my favorite show of the year) had won the day in Class A-no offense to the Govies.

What a great event for all-thanks to DCA and performers!!!

• Like 2