Cadets 2

weekend only drum corps

with those 22-25 preferably being alumni of the Cadets

we are trying to keep the cost under $1000

1. So they are going to have to be local talent

2. Well that is going to up the physical aspect

3. **** that is expensive :blink:

This is going to turn into C2 domination, no corps are going to be able to compete against this in 3 years. I welcome them to DCA but this just seems like trouble.

all it will do is up the competition......if it works......people said the same when Bush was formed...did Bush changed the way some corps did things for the sake of competition..sure it did..as well as this will and maybe time it should.......look at the changes in recent years and more to come Im sure.........look at the ICON corps of the past that are gone. All you have to do is look at OC finals and see all that are gone. Look at average age in recent years.

It aint your daddys drum corps anymore.........for the good and bad of it

The things I have heard that have ruined drum corps since I've begun include:

The 3rd valve; guards in costumes; guards no longer marching but instead dancing; themed shows; Bushwackers; having to know how to actually read music; DCI; the Syracuse Brigadiers; Broadway; instructors who teach marching bands; corps who repeatedly win; Bb's; no more color presentations; amplification; allowing Star United into Mini Corps; DCI and DCA partenering; the Bucs; and if I put George Hopkins in bewteen every entry I listed I wouldn't be saying his name enough for the amount of times I have heard it said.

And I disagree with every single one of them.

Edited by LegalEagle50
  • Like 2

The things I have heard that have ruined drum corps since I've begun include:

The 3rd valve; guards in costumes; guards no longer marching but instead dancing; themed shows; Bushwackers; having to know how to actually read music; DCI; the Syracuse Brigadiers; Broadway; instructors who teach marching bands; corps who repeatedly win; Bb's; no more color presentations; amplification; allowing Star United into Mini Corps; DCI and DCA partenering; the Bucs; and if I put George Hopkins in bewteen every entry I listed I wouldn't be saying his name enough for the amount of times I have heard it said.

And I disagree with every single one of them.

LMAO...so true

all it will do is up the competition......if it works......people said the same when Bush was formed...did Bush changed the way some corps did things for the sake of competition..sure it did..as well as this will and maybe time it should.......look at the changes in recent years and more to come Im sure.........look at the ICON corps of the past that are gone. All you have to do is look at OC finals and see all that are gone. Look at average age in recent years.

It aint your daddys drum corps anymore.........for the good and bad of it

Its going to make other corps cut their older members and try to find younger members. (No offense, these corps just seem to have older members) there is no way Empire, Cabs, Kilties will be able to keep up.

If C2 is a success then DCA will turn into DCI Open Class....but on the weekends.

I'm interested to see what new proposals will come up at the rules congress after next season...

And of course by that point we'll actually KNOW what Cadets 2 are capable of instead of just speculating like we are now......

Its going to make other corps cut their older members and try to find younger members. (No offense, these corps just seem to have older members) there is no way Empire, Cabs, Kilties will be able to keep up.

If C2 is a success then DCA will turn into DCI Open Class....but on the weekends.

"DCA into DCI (On Weekends):

He shoots, he scores.....

Elphaba

weekend only drum corps

with those 22-25 preferably being alumni of the Cadets

we are trying to keep the cost under $1000

1. So they are going to have to be local talent

2. Well that is going to up the physical aspect

3. **** that is expensive :blink:

I feel compelled to comment on your post based on MY experience in drum corps and others around me in drum corps.

As to point 1.

Being a weekend only corps does not mean you are restricted to only local talent. I know this might sound forien to a lot of people but a great many corps have members drive ridiculously long hours to get to rehearsal. Ive actually seen two members that flew into rehearsals every weekend we had camps so its not unheard of.

I personally had to drive 6+ hours every weekend to be part of a competitive open class corps.

CV back in the day had members driving from points as far north as OHIO and as far south as Florida and LA. Even one or two from Texas if memory serves correctly.

Alliance this season has seen some peeps from as far north as Indiana and a carload of peeps from Nashville.

The California corps? Forgetta bout it. I know some of those guys have to fly in and/or drive upwards of 12 hours.

There is no such thing as local corps from our point of view.

As to point 2.

The physical aspect of DCA has been changing rapidly over the last 6 years. I call it aging out of DCA. Lots of corps are losing the Grey hairs and people with surgical scares older than the kids marching it for some time now. I expect the Cadets2 model to accelerate that even more.

As to point 3.

Corps that travel and don't have bingo or a cash cow..... $600 to $1000 bucks is about average for dues. Its just a way of life for us that we have had to adjust too.

"DCA into DCI (On Weekends):

He shoots, he scores.....

Elphaba

I thought Hurcs had many DCA age outs in their ranks. There were several peeps in the show that looked like they needed to step out in order for the drill to advance.

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

logic alert.....he's one person, with no formal vote as of right now.

Good God, you people think the DCA BOD is just a bunch of suck ##### who roll over to whoever is in charge

:rolleyes:

"DCA BOD":

I am quite sure Mr Corso and company are fully capable and won't be "Rolled".

I WOULD feel a bit better if "Lefty" Mayer were still around....

Elphaba

As much as I have been relatively opposed to this new venture by YEA the truth is I can see it doing great things for DCA. The big negative that I can see is, before those great things come about, there are going to be some really tough growing pains with a lot of corps in the northeast. I can see Cadets2 having a noticeable impact on Reading, Hurcs, Cabs, Empire, Fusion, and Windsor Regiment next year. I believe Cadets2 will be able to field a full corps (60+) horn line with ease, all the while getting their members to pay $999 for dues and have a great staff and arranger at their disposal. At first, there will be some jealousy, than over the next few years there will be some growing pains as Cadets2 reshapes the activity to a more DCI like style (which they will undoubtedly have given their intent to move members between the two corps). Some corps with deep roots with individual styles in DCA like Cabs and Empire have the hardest time adjusting as they will need to figure out how to field different types of shows than they are used to in order to stay competitive. Empire is already a step ahead here.

In the end, 5+ years from now, DCA will be a highly competitive, fast moving, younger version of itself than it is today. We can debate whether this will be a good thing or a bad thing all day and both sides will have decent points.

For now, the best thing any corps can do is get in front of Cadets2 and use it as a motivator to try different tools. Up your recruiting (be at every USSBA show you can because you Cadets2 will be) and start thinking N O W of some really creative, innovative ideas for your show next year- because you know GH has already thought up a great show concept that will send a message about his program from day 1.

Edited by irishbugle