2012 Reps

skeptic

Also the music of Ennio Morricone is my dream show...

Kidsgrove did The Falls from the Mission in 2005, and played it as a concert piece last year. Dead good!

Kidsgrove did The Falls from the Mission in 2005, and played it as a concert piece last year. Dead good!

I had David Childs' Euphonium solo of "Gabriel's Oboe" as the music my groomsmen and I walked to the ceremony to during my wedding this past saturday.

I think the Statesmen would do very well with a show based around "Casablanca." Not sure if they've attempted this. I know Blue Devils did in DCI a while ago, but a fresh take on it in DCA would be great. Heck, they already have uniforms that fit the part.

My favorite Cabs show in recent memory was Carmen in 2007. Definitely fresh, definitely them. There have to be other large, fan-friendly works that fit the general Cabs identity that they can build around.

I'd like to see Bucs also attempt a whole show built around one or two pieces of fan-friendly material. Perhaps use it to tell a bit of a story.

I'd like to see MBI keep the same approach they've had. It obviously works for fans and judges.

Phantom Sequel - "Love Never Dies"

phantoAB.jpg

"Beneath a Moonless Sky" (intro to ~ :56)

"The Coney Island Waltz"

"Heaven by the Sea"

"Till I hear you Sing" (less intro ~ 1:08+)

"The Beauty Underneath"

"Devil Take the Hindmost" (less into ~ :42+)

"Love Never Dies"

Dan

(Re-written; Going to film)

Read Here!!!

Edited by skymello2

I think the Statesmen would do very well with a show based around "Casablanca." Not sure if they've attempted this. I know Blue Devils did in DCI a while ago, but a fresh take on it in DCA would be great. Heck, they already have uniforms that fit the part.

My favorite Cabs show in recent memory was Carmen in 2007. Definitely fresh, definitely them. There have to be other large, fan-friendly works that fit the general Cabs identity that they can build around.

I'd like to see Bucs also attempt a whole show built around one or two pieces of fan-friendly material. Perhaps use it to tell a bit of a story.

I'd like to see MBI keep the same approach they've had. It obviously works for fans and judges.

Brigs and MBI have in the past few years performed much of the same songs as were in the BD show "As Time Goes By".

I know it's Madison's thing and various alumni groups have played it, including Brigs Alumni...but I would love to hear "You'll Never Walk Alone" on the field at DCA. Maybe this is a push, I know it hasn't appeared on the field much, but what about "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana. Just some thoughts...

Carmina Burana is an absolute nightmare for marching groups of any kind to get the rights to.

Forgot about the whole rights issue. That is a big killer for other pieces of music as well. One can dream though! I thought it would be nice from a brass side and a big hornline.

Carmina Burana is an absolute nightmare for marching groups of any kind to get the rights to.

Actually, Carmina Burana, which was composed by Carl Orff in 1937, will be hitting the 75 year mark in 2012 which makes it open to the public for use at that time.

Obtaining the rights from the Orff estate has not been that difficult which is why you will hear recordings of his work in various video game trailers and low budget films.

The Raiders performed Carmina Burana in 2003 almost verbatim to Carl Orffs original composition I believe.

Edited by irishbugle

Actually, Carmina Burana, which was composed by Carl Orff in 1937, will be hitting the 75 year mark in 2012 which makes it open to the public for use at that time.

Obtaining the rights from the Orff estate has not been that difficult which is why you will hear recordings of his work in various video game trailers and low budget films.

The Raiders performed Carmina Burana in 2003 almost verbatim to Carl Orffs original composition I believe.

Getting the right to Carmina for your movie or TV show isn't hard. It's just expensive. It's been absurdly difficult and expensive for marching bands and drum corps to secure rights. It's on the BOA and WGI "no play" list for years as a result. The hoops Raiders had to jump through were pretty crazy. The Orff estate places some very restrictive requirements on just how you can arrange the piece should they deem you worthy of granting the rights.

As for the rights to Carmina expiring in 2012, you are incorrect. Carmina was finished by Orff in 1936. It will not enter the public domain for several more years (2019-2026 depending on how you interpret US copyright law). I'm not sure where you got the 75 year idea, but it's been established that due to the date Carmina was finished (registration of copyright no longer matters, and hasn't since 1992) it will be fully protected for 95 years after first publication. You used to have to register for copyright, and then re-register in the 28th year following to retain rights, but that is no longer the case in either instance.

Trust me on this, I speak from experience. Also, Carmina Burana is one of the most oft-cited works in Music Law classes.

Edited by Kamarag

Yeah. I know. Just saying what I'd like them to play. We can dream, can't we? :cool:

who do we bribe?