DCA Finals - National Anthem

I loved Argonne Rebels arrangement back in...1974(?). I think it was in 4/4 time too. That was Sandra Opie's arrangement(?)

Although I no longer speak for DCA... I do know that this (what Ed speaks of) is exactly why we used the corps at both shows on Sunday... that is also my preference...

As for prelims, it's a concession to play them at all... there are those who wish to not bother (which I think is wrong)... they consider the entire weekend one huge show and feel playing it at the larger audience at finals is sufficient. What was done was an acceptable compromise...

Mini corps? We had a talented individual volunteer to sing the anthems and her grandfather was inducted into the hall of fame the next morning - how appropriate... she's also done it the last couple years as a high school girl... this has encouraged her to pursue her singing further. I beieve it's ok to say that brass players should be used at a brass event... heck I'm the one who just asked the all knowing question.- why do we call it drum corps when we have more bugles - wouldn't bugle corps be more appropriate?

However, the implication here is an objection to her singing ability or style... that is simply wrong... she was world class... maybe not Whitney Houston but a lot better than many who came after Whitney... and frankly I hope she doesn't read dcp... unfortunately, I KNOW her proud grandpa does...

heck I'm the one who just asked the all knowing question.- why do we call it drum corps when we have more bugles....

Because we don't have bugles anymore????

Just a thought. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

• Like 1

i just wanted to inject some history here and maybe some old timers will remember this. in 1976 we did the 1st olympic style retreat for finals. all the corps played the star spangled banner while we marched along the track. the horn arrangment was truman crawfords. the drum arrangement was i believe rod goodharts. we got them in june. it was fun. didn't sound to good i'm sure but it was a blast.

This was my first experience at a DCA Finals. Why do we play a recording of the National Anthem? It seems to me DCA would have for both the field and mini-corps events a live drum and bugle performance of SSB. With as many corps as were represented there could be a single arrangement (allowing for different keyed instruments) and have a lottery that each corps picks to determine which part they will supply. If all of the corps already know the arrangement then it is a matter of having the dozen or so horns and percussionist meet for a run through on Friday evening.

While I am on the topic of the Star Spangled Banner ... Why do some people feel that getting asked to play or sing the National Anthem gives them artistic license to go all over the place with it. Play it straight! This is our National Anthem not American Idol!

The implication was not directed at one specific performer. The point here is that this is our national anthem. While having your own arrangement is one thing it is difficult to sing along when it is not sung or played in a traditional manner. I am speaking out of patriotism to our country and not jabbing at the performer. I am not saying she was not patriotic nor am I saying she was bad. I am simply saying that The Star Spangled banner needs to be played, sung, hummed or whatever somewhat traditional and those in the audience need to be encouraged to sing along. Then there is the placing your hand on your heart but that is another topic in itself!

My post has absolutely nothing to do with musical ability or execution I was merely a bit thrown off by the arrangment. Perhaps it is due to my career as a military musician, but it just grates on me when I hear the Anthem arranged\performed in a non-traditional manner (and this applies to instrumental arrangments as well) It is nothing personal just my preference.

The anthems at prelims were recordings of the Canadian Air Force and US Air Force Bands. These are "stock" recordings used regularly at the stadium.

I'm fine with someone singing the anthem at a drum corps show.

The gentleman who sings at the Scranton show each year does a great job, IMO.

In 2010, a young lady who was a member of the Caballeros sang the anthem at the Cabs' home show, and was outstanding.

It's nice to have a brass player or players do the job, but singing is good, too.

In 2010, a young lady who was a member of the Caballeros sang the anthem at the Cabs' home show, and was outstanding.

It's nice to have a brass player or players do the job, but singing is good, too.

Thanks, Fran! :cool:

Edited by skajerk

I thought it was Kathryn Hepburn in Scranton :whistle::tounge2: