What's Next for Pioneer

yes many did take a hit at the time.,..the strong survived!!!!or at least the ones who were needed...i think the argument is in your words.............the going through...they are what they are and thats ok...who cares...they, just like any of the top 5 WC corps can be whatever they want...run their corps however they want...choose what ever show they want and thats the way it should be and if it works as it has for many fantastic........if it doesnt then just like some who faded away in the past, it's a corps own choices that make or break them. Life will go on with or without any corps although noone wants to see anyone fold or fail to their mission. If a corps like Star at its peak can go away and the world didnt end that goes for anyone else. The sky wont fall as it wont with new bells and whistles added to shows today either.

Here's a question...what happens to Pioneer when Roman is no longer living? I mean I see so many posts...over and over again how he makes so many of the decisions. I mean I remember at one point...didn't he fire his own son at one point? Do I have that right? It was awhile back...maybe 15 years back.

I guess in all this is an attempt to make an equation between one corps...a professional small ensemble..and when I saw them in Buffalo in 1995, they didn't even march. Anyway, I guess the attempt is that size has nothing to do with good. I think a better example would be to go back to some of the Canadian corps like Les Etoiles or CYE who were both small and good. Were Spartans bigger than Pioneer this year?

yes many did take a hit at the time.,..the strong survived!!!!or at least the ones who were needed...i think the argument is in your words.............the going through...they are what they are and thats ok...who cares...they, just like any of the top 5 WC corps can be whatever they want...run their corps however they want...choose what ever show they want and thats the way it should be and if it works as it has for many fantastic........if it doesnt then just like some who faded away in the past, it's a corps own choices that make or break them. Life will go on with or without any corps although noone wants to see anyone fold or fail to their mission. If a corps like Star at its peak can go away and the world didnt end that goes for anyone else. The sky wont fall as it wont with new bells and whistles added to shows today either.

I think you support DCI then as you make the argument well. DCI has determined they are WC therefore there is no argument.

I think you support DCI then as you make the argument well. DCI has determined they are WC therefore there is no argument.

OHHHHH NOOOOOO!!! I didnt say that at all. Although I support anythinng they want to do..that's their thing are they a WC corps HELL NO!!!!! One of the corps I taught this summer we fgot to see them at times and the kids work hard no doubtbut its far from world class. Unfortunately ( and I didnt want to really get into this ) BUT I did over hear someof their staff speeches after a performance and although staff does need to encourage their members it was crazy, pipe dreams..blaming others before a the corps was even given scores....enough said...as I said they can do what they want.

, But do I support that its their choice , sure,,,agree no, feel sorry...well maybe for some of the kids but thats it. Also if the kids are happy then , thats enough

Edited by GUARDLING

Here's a question...what happens to Pioneer when Roman is no longer living? I mean I see so many posts...over and over again how he makes so many of the decisions. I mean I remember at one point...didn't he fire his own son at one point? Do I have that right? It was awhile back...maybe 15 years back.

I guess in all this is an attempt to make an equation between one corps...a professional small ensemble..and when I saw them in Buffalo in 1995, they didn't even march. Anyway, I guess the attempt is that size has nothing to do with good. I think a better example would be to go back to some of the Canadian corps like Les Etoiles or CYE who were both small and good. Were Spartans bigger than Pioneer this year?

That's a good question. He is the decision maker, including the occassional decision to allow someone else to make the decision, but he is NOT a dictator. I am skeptical if Pioneer could ever even survive without Roman and Sue, they (along with Murray) ARE Pioneer. That is not to say that hundreds of others are not to be given credit for what they have done (and continue to do) for the corps, but in terms of leadership and ensuring that the corps comes out each year, it is Roman, Sue and Murray that are the constant day-to-day, year after year, do it ALL (with the exception of the design and teaching activities) behind the scenes individuals that keep the corps going. No other role in the corps would be fulfilled without the daily work of those three. Because of how Roman chooses to run the organization, it really comes down to those three, and there is no succession plan sitting on a shelf somewhere that I am aware of that will lead the corps beyond Roman's leadership. I really hope that that changes soon.

And to be clear, Roman Jr. was not fired... at least not really. Understandably, it seems that you're blending several of the 1980's and 1990's "Roman and Roman Jr. conflicts," resulting in a rumor (Roman Jr. was fired) that is not accurate. Their relationship is quite special, and I would say has always been quite strong. It's Roman Sr.'s deep seeded passion for the activity and Pioneer that has been the center of some of the overblown rumors about the two. Roman Jr. is so much like his dad, including his being strongly unwavering on what he believes is right, but his loyalty to his dad is also unwavering. He knows when his dad will or won't bend, and ultimately chose to stand his ground and play another role with the corps (rather than director after several years), as he still does from time-to-time. The year you cited (1995) included the period in which Pat S. was still with the corps, so the corps director transition was smooth, but Roman Jr. was neither fired, nor did he ever really cease working with the corps. The line between "Blenski Family" and "Pioneer Family" is quite blurry if your last name is Blenski, they're really almost one and the same.

By the way, I'm not sure what you observed in Buffalo in 1995 (some kind of standstill i.e. ensemble performance maybe?), but the corps itself was certainly not small (it was one of the larger Pioneer corps), and in fact, they won the DCI Div. II Championship that year.

Pioneer after Roman Blenski... that's a good question.

Pioneer after Roman Blenski... that's a good question.

Pioneer during Roman Blenski is an even better question. I would like to see Pioneer succeed competitively in the near future. They have already succeeded as a well run, financially stable organization.

Roman is a great guy with a certain kind of charisma and should use that to his advantage withing the many local non-profit arts education groups in Milwaukee. I just don't get the impression he is doing that. When it comes to receiving grant money it's often who you know in addition to a well written grant proposal. Pioneer has the proven track record as an organization serving youth. It's a shame they are not receiving that recognition locally.

Gotta run to Cudahy for the band comp. but will email Pio some info to help them get started.

Edited by warsawstory

• 2 weeks later...

Got this from an update from the Pioneer Facebook group 20 minutes ago:

Pioneer Announces Its 2012 Program!

The theme of the show is “Irish Immigrants: The Hands That Built America” and while not all of the music is final, we are looking at the following: Dvorak, Symphony No. 9 “New World”, music from the movie “Gangs of New York,” music from the movie “Boondock Saints,” a few songs by the Irish rock band U2, Ignaz Moscheles’ “Recollections of Ireland” piano concerto and a few other pieces. The staff and designers are really excited about how the show is beginning to take shape. We should have a sense of the show, a possibly a bit of show music by the first camp (November 18-20). The writer for the brass book is Ken Norman, a DCI Hall of Fame member. Drill will once again be written by DCA Hall of Fame member Rick Morey, who has also written for the Colts and Syracuse Brigadiers, 5 time DCA World Champions

Discuss.

Edited by SDBassCreature
  • Like 1

Pioneer Announces Its 2012 Program!

The theme of the show is “Irish Immigrants: The Hands That Built America” and while not all of the music is final, we are looking at the following: Dvorak, Symphony No. 9 “New World”, music from the movie “Gangs of New York,” music from the movie “Boondock Saints,” a few songs by the Irish rock band U2, Ignaz Moscheles’ “Recollections of Ireland” piano concerto and a few other pieces. The staff and designers are really excited about how the show is beginning to take shape. We should have a sense of the show, a possibly a bit of show music by the first camp (November 18-20). The writer for the brass book is Ken Norman, a DCI Hall of Fame member. Drill will once again be written by DCA Hall of Fame member Rick Morey, who has also written for the Colts and Syracuse Brigadiers, 5 time DCA World Champions

As always, we will ahve to see what they actually chose for songs, but I would love fro them to get away from New World, the piano concerto stuff and go towards the U2 and Boondock Saints stuff. Hell, I'd love to see some Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphy - even go to the over played Shipping Up to Boston!

Ken Norman, I feel is a good arranger, I have met him a few times - nice guy. He could do well for them, if they are the right pieces.

I am happy to see Pio do something that might be a bit up to date compared to some other stuff that they have done before.

What do you think if they were to rehash their '95 show. I loved the music from it.

• Like 1