DCI trivia

The first corps to go inactive twice (two seperate Occasions) and then rise up to make finals.

Bluecoats - Inactive 1979 & 1983, Made finals in 1987-1998 & 2000-2011

That's actually arguable.

The Purple Lancers, originally a senior corps, went inactive after the 1956 season. Resuming activity as a junior corps in the early 1960s, the corps combined forces with the Shortsville Shamrocks in 1967 (appearing as the Dynamic Duo), then sat out the 1968 season. After those two stints of inactivity, the corps returned with renewed strength in the years 1969-1974, the last of which saw them make DCI finals.

I judged them many, many times from 1981 to 1984. Every time was worse than the previous outing. I don't know how parents could allow their kids to participate - when Massachusetts had many corps still vibrant in that time period. Often times, within a few weeks, we would never see the same kids, or they would be playing another instrument. It was usually 2 flags, 1 horn, 1 drum, and a cymbal. Sometimes a rifle, sometimes 2 horns. So very sad.

Who knows, maybe this was a clever ( but devious ) way for Mom and Dad to write off the SUV as a 401C " transportation vehicle " or some such tax advantage or whatnot. Otherwise, putting the family's kids out there in a field competition like this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I blame the Corps Association in Massachusetts for this. There should have been a fundamental minimum number of marchers ( 20 ? ) to compete in any field competition in that Association in my opinion. What the H. benefit is there to go out on the field with 3-5 total ? They went out "sometimes with 2 horns", you said ? Good grief. This has to be the only Corps in Drum Corps history to have a duet for the entire musical show!

Edited by BRASSO

I'll give you an even better trivia question; what was the first world champion corps to completely abandon every tune in its winning show and play a completely new show the next year?<br><br>That is commonplace today, but unheard of back in the early days of DCI.

Edited by wvu80

Well technically, it was the 1976 Madison Scouts...at least for the first half

of the season. They departed from all the 75 music and did a Disco show.

But, at mid-season, they scrapped it and went with most of the same music from 1975.

Other than that, I would go with the 1984 Garfield

Cadets. WSS was completely different than the 1983 show, which included RPH and

Bernstein's Mass.

• Like 1

The 83 to 84 Garfield Cadets was what I was going for Jeff, so ding ding ding!:cool:

On the 76 Scouts show, I knew they scrapped most of their show and brought back 75, but I didn't realize the 75 champs had started 76 with a clean sheet of paper! That certainly would qualify as innovative, especially for that era where EVERYBODY played their best song from the year before and only added a couple of new tunes.

As a champion showing innovation, the Scouts were waaay ahead of their time.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The first corps to use 2-piston bugles was VK in 1976, a year before they were legal. Zig Kanstul worked out an agreement with DCI to field test a set of sopranos. Even better related trivia: the bells were stamped "Benge".

Garry in Vegas

That's actually arguable.

The Purple Lancers, originally a senior corps, went inactive after the 1956 season. Resuming activity as a junior corps in the early 1960s, the corps combined forces with the Shortsville Shamrocks in 1967 (appearing as the Dynamic Duo), then sat out the 1968 season. After those two stints of inactivity, the corps returned with renewed strength in the years 1969-1974, the last of which saw them make DCI finals.

I did not know that about the Purple Lancers (but since they only went inactive once after becoming a junior corps I would list it with an asterisk.

What corps went the most years between DCI finals appearances?

Troopers? 1986 to 2009, twenty-three years.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 1

Blue stars, 1979 to 2008? That's 29 years

• Like 2