DCI trivia

fsubone, on 03 October 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

I think the smallest one that has ever been was a corps called the Braintree Braves back in the 80s or 90s, where it has been mentioned they had somewhere around 5 members, and performed a couple of times in exhibition up in Mass.

It was between 3-5 for the season. No Corps buses, equipment vans, kitchen trucks, needed for this Corps, nosiree. No" exhibitions " either .The Corps competed. It was " a close knit family ", this Corps.

The Corps traveled to competitions all summer long in Mom and Dad's SUV with the Corps equipment in the back seat. It gave a new definition to the Corps name " Braves ". ( either that, or Brainless Braves, depending upon one's perspective on doing this. )

I judged them many, many times from 1981 to 1984. Every time was worse than the previous outing. I don't know how parents could allow their kids to participate - when Massachusetts had many corps still vibrant in that time period. Often times, within a few weeks, we would never see the same kids, or they would be playing another instrument. It was usually 2 flags, 1 horn, 1 drum, and a cymbal. Sometimes a rifle, sometimes 2 horns. So very sad.

There are four active corps that have defeated all other rivals, but don't have a DCI world-class title to their credit. In addition to Crossmen and Bluecoats, we also have Carolina Crown and Troopers.

Going out on a limb, but I believe the 27th Lancers are the only inactive corps to have defeated every corps in the same season, and not won a DCI title. (1976 and 1980). :sad:

What is the significance of the following years/corps?

1986 Phantom Regiment

1992 Cadets

I judged them many, many times from 1981 to 1984. Every time was worse than the previous outing. I don't know how parents could allow their kids to participate - when Massachusetts had many corps still vibrant in that time period. Often times, within a few weeks, we would never see the same kids, or they would be playing another instrument. It was usually 2 flags, 1 horn, 1 drum, and a cymbal. Sometimes a rifle, sometimes 2 horns. So very sad.

That's a good example of "the judging staff should never outnumber the drum corps." I did see many with less than 25, and people today don't understand, those small corps although admirable, were painful to sit through. I never saw that particular group, but they sure sound like the answer to the "smallest ever" drum corps.

So what did you judges do, circle the corps for 15 minutes looking for ticks? What did you say on the critique tape? :huh:

Only corps to win a caption in (WC) prelims and not make finals....

1977 Oakland Crusaders (percussion)

Lowest score during regular season of a WC corps that eventually ended up in finals (not sure on this one) 1983 Bridgemen 47.15

Lowest total score ever (not including disqualifications/penalties) Racine Scouts 7/4/82 score 4.8

Biggest point spread first to last place 7/24/82 83.85 Phantom 11.3 Racine Scouts margin= 72.55 points (not sure on this one, either)

Only corps to get a perfect total effect score and lose........1975 Vanguard

Lowest placing WC finalist to beat the eventual champion during the same season....1987 Spirit (1oth) defeated eventual champ Garfield (1st) in June (not sure on this one)

Lowest prelim caption ranking of a corps that made WC finals...1977 Cadets (27th in perc. execution).....not sure on this.......

biggest drop in ranking/placement in August....1976 Muchachos...defeated eventual 9th place Blue Stars on 8/18, finished 21st at DCI prelims on 8/21.

Biggest jump into WC finals from prior season.........Kilts (10th 1977.....28th 1976)

Quickest corps to make WC DCI finals.........Star (1st season) Spirit (2nd season) Crossmen (3rd season)

only year when there were 2 Canadian WC finalists (1976.....Oakland and Seneca)

corrections welcome!!!

GB

So.....the State that's produced over half of the World Championships has hosted only one Finals?? .....and that one produced one of the largest gates in recent years. Is a puzzlement! :blink:

amen brother.

I've got an interesting one, let's see if anyone can get this answer.

Musically what is the unique aspect of the 1992 Blue Devils show that no other corps had done before or since?

all the dirty snare rolls?

:ph34r:

all the dirty snare rolls?

Compared to 1993? ...They were Gods!

Mike