Drum corps stadium profiles

• 3 weeks later...

A new $62 million high school stadium is being proposed in McKinney TX (Dallas). Interestingly, in the news story about this stadium the board of education spokesperson references how the stadium can host many events, including "Drum Corps International". Good to know that DCI can help fund these Texas mega stadiums.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/category/spoken-word-ktvttv/3367725-mckinney-isd-proposing-62-million-hs-football-stadium/

DCI will not be hit up for construction costs, but yes, it was nice that a DCI show could be scheduled at the proposed stadium. May this stadium not have the pre construction issues that Allen had.

Well maybe not the construction costs directly, but few DCI shows get their stadiums for nothing.

If the BoE is using DCI as an advertising/bargaining chip, will they give DCI a discount for rentals?

Does DCI have licensing fees and such when activity is utilized for other agenda...the way the musicians and such charge DCI??? (Those Texans may afford it.)

I have not seen anything here about Gillette. Home of the cheatin (but multi Super Bowl Champion) Patriots. All that aside, the Crusaders put on one heck of an anniversary show last year and Gillette was an awesome stadium for it IMO. Not only is the stadium excellent with seating & sound, but the overall facility with restaurants, shops and entertainment on site, makes for a great & fun drum corps day. And they having their show there again this year. I can't wait. A bit of a step up from Lawrence. Hope it stays successful and they can keep it there.

I haven't done an entry on Gillette Stadium yet because I haven't had a chance to go there. Typically I like to go to a stadium in person before I do a report on it, although that may be changing. In the meantime, I have included Gillette Stadium as one of the entrants in this year's Drum Corps Bracket Tournament- which you can check out right here: http://marchingarenas.blogspot.com/?m=1

I have not seen anything here about Gillette. Home of the cheatin (but multi Super Bowl Champion) Patriots. All that aside, the Crusaders put on one heck of an anniversary show last year and Gillette was an awesome stadium for it IMO. Not only is the stadium excellent with seating & sound, but the overall facility with restaurants, shops and entertainment on site, makes for a great & fun drum corps day. And they having their show there again this year. I can't wait. A bit of a step up from Lawrence. Hope it stays successful and they can keep it there.

I disagree about Gillette. The tickets and concessions were too expensive. Also, it took too long to get out of the parking lots.

I disagree about Gillette. The tickets and concessions were too expensive. Also, it took too long to get out of the parking lots.

Are your thoughts based on the finals in 05 or last years Crusaders anniversary show there?

I found the staff at Gillette Stadium during 05 finals to be by far the rudest bunch of stadium staff that I've encountered in over 40 years of attending drum corps shows.

Some of the best venues are the more traditional drum corps event stadiums. Some of the worst are the major sports venues. The notable exception is at Lucas Oil Stadium. The folks that work there are very nice. Rules that are enforced for the NFL are not strictly enforced for the drum corps shows. They understand the crowd difference at LOS. My family has always had great experiences in Indy.

• 1 month later...

A new $62 million high school stadium is being proposed in McKinney TX (Dallas). Interestingly, in the news story about this stadium the board of education spokesperson references how the stadium can host many events, including "Drum Corps International". Good to know that DCI can help fund these Texas mega stadiums.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/category/spoken-word-ktvttv/3367725-mckinney-isd-proposing-62-million-hs-football-stadium/

Looks like the school bond which includes the stadium got approved by voters this past Monday making it the most expensive high school stadium in the country. :wow:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3582862/Texas-high-school-build-62-8MILLION-football-stadium.html

Maybe DCI can squeeze in another north Texas stop in future seasons or perhaps relocate either the Dallas or Denton shows.