Drum corps stadium profiles

The blog's been on a hiatus with winter fast approaching (if I'm lucky I'll get some more Wisconsin pictures when I go see my brother in Madison for christmas). In the meantime, I'm going to be doing semi-weekly posts into the spring. Tonight's is some "small college" venues in southern Indiana and Illinois, including one that I'm sure is a favorite of anybody who's marched in a midwest corps.

As stated on the blog.

Well done. There have been DCM shows at both Charleston and Terre Haute. And a couple of DCI shows in Terre Haute. That was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (aka, when I marched). Either site would be great for me, as a fan. Ind State has done major upgrades the past couple of years, but even now, it's still not best suited for a DCI event. Parking the biggest. And as far as a "college town," the stadium is deceptive. For reasons too long to get into, Memorial Stadium is 3 miles removed from campus. Makes for a non-college atmosphere.

Not stated on the blog ... should have told me you were in Terre Haute! Would have been nice to have met you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted a christmas update with some nice venues from Appleton, Menasha, Green Bay and Wausau. I'd say I've definitely got northern Wisconsin covered now.

A new venue that I found wonderful for sound is University of Akron - Bluecoats host a show there in the early part of the season. It's turf - so the members get the smooth experience, and the it's got buildings around it on three side, so there is some nice bounce to the sound. I heard some people (when I was there) comparing it to TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

Sorry - no pics...at least from me -

I'm finishing off 2011 with some more posts from my christmas holiday travels, including a couple from the greatest drum corps town of all, Madison WI!

Happy new year everybody! I've made a couple of new posts about venues in the Peoria IL avenue, AND I've introduced a rating system to try and give some objective evaluations of the venues I've visited. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Back with a couple posts from northwest Wisconsin, as well as ratings for all prior posts.

I’m surprised not to see The Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA as a favorite. It was a common place where the CYO Circuit finals were held and I know it has been listed on similar posts. The finals always had a packed stadium since the drum corps, drill teams, and bands always competed and 70-80 different units competed in three different divisions. It was probably the only time most units, with the exception of Boston Crusaders, North Star, and Defenders played to a packed house (this was long after 27th competed on the circuit level). I remember watching the World Open prelims quite a few times too. Manning Bowl also made people feel they were living dangerously. Lynn had a reputation and anytime our band competed in or attended a show at Manning Bowl, we were told not to leave the stadium. There’s a famous local saying “Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin, you never come out the way you go in” and any marching unit from the Boston suburbs took it seriously. Several years later I lived within walking distance of Manning Bowl and learned we had nothing to worry about, Lynn’s woes were greatly exaggerated.

Another great location was the old Boston College Stadium where the CYO Nationals were often held. I don’t remember marching on this field, but it was s great venue to watch a show. I’m not sure if there has been a drum corps show at BC since the last CYO nationals in 1984, but it’s been completely remodeled, seats are spacious, and the lines at the concession stands move quickly. It’s a great place to watch a football game and probably even better for drum corps.

one of the stadiums that stands out to me was out east, Ohio or NY maybe, (it might not have been very far east at all) had a over hang above the stands. i remember getting to the gate looking in and thinking about how loud it will be when we perform.

I remember performing in mile high thinking that the grass was incredible and also for being an outdoor stadium, there was a significant amount of echo. also the old meadowlands stadium missing a decent chunk of seats from the upper deck back sidelines because it was in the process of getting ready to be torn down because the new one was built and ready for football season.

I see you now IDd it as massillon, but i thought of Hornell, NY when you mentioned it.

new-stad_1.jpg

Back with a couple posts from northwest Wisconsin, as well as ratings for all prior posts.

Thanks for the write-up for my old home town. D&NW stadium needs a show again. But, part of the problem was securing housing sites to go along with people to operate the show is it fell to the wayside.