DQ's

I guess the question is...Who are we really punishing? In the end the DQ's punish the kids that are "of age". The overage kids walk away, what do they get? The adults take some blame BUT if I were an 18 year old kid in Muchachos in 1975, I would HATE drum corps after that! I would love to hear from those Muchacho members that were there.

If what was said was true then... One person forced the disqualification of 134 kids. I don't blame DCI for this, I blame the practices of the past.

the corps deserved the DQ if they knew. the shame is the staff and management deserved worse but didnt get it

the corps deserved the DQ if they knew. the shame is the staff and management deserved worse but didnt get it

I think what stung the most at the time for those members was that it was such a common thing back then and only they were singled out. This was very evident in finals where many corps looked liked swiss cheese.

As the legend goes a member of another corps that tried out ( wasn't called auditioning then lol ) was cut from the drum line, went back to his previous corps ( Cavaliers) gave info to Don Warren and He ran with it at DCI prelims. Many members from that time swear by this and held a hatred for Cavaliers to this day. Many years ago DCI was being shown on TV in October or November, I was at a drum corps party and when Cavaliers came on all the Hawthorne members and staff got up and left the room with disgust as if it happend the day before.

So theres the legend according to people around me who marched that 1975 tragic moment in DCI History.

So Don Warren knew about this earlier? Just wondering if he did, why did he wait till Championships? Hmmm

So Don Warren knew about this earlier? Just wondering if he did, why did he wait till Championships? Hmmm

well according to many involved........yes he did...................now why do you think he waited....lol....we respect our legends but also forget they were just as much businessmen back then as they are now, it was just hidden more then.

Got it. If a person is a featured dancer and helps write the color guard choreography that person is by definition "THE" most important member; or if a snare soloist also writes a portion of the drum book that person is by definition "THE" most important member. I was unaware of that fact, so thank you for the clarification.

Good grief. I said it was A viable answer from someone, not THE answer....and then I gave my own opinion (which, to reiterate, was that no full-size drum corps is carried by a single person). But even when I agree with you, you disagree with me.

• Like 2

I think what stung the most at the time for those members was that it was such a common thing back then and only they were singled out. This was very evident in finals where many corps looked liked swiss cheese.

As the legend goes a member of another corps that tried out ( wasn't called auditioning then lol ) was cut from the drum line, went back to his previous corps ( Cavaliers) gave info to Don Warren and He ran with it at DCI prelims. Many members from that time swear by this and held a hatred for Cavaliers to this day. Many years ago DCI was being shown on TV in October or November, I was at a drum corps party and when Cavaliers came on all the Hawthorne members and staff got up and left the room with disgust as if it happend the day before.

So theres the legend according to people around me who marched that 1975 tragic moment in DCI History.

As a legend in my own mind - I have heard the version above as well. I have heard that Jim Jones was involved - but can't remember how? Troopers were in 13th at prelims time. With Hawthorne out, the 13th place corps was then a finalist - did Don Warren give Jim Jones a break ??? It's a conspiracy that people like to carry on with.....

Often times we hear about the Muchachos 1975 prelim score sheets being added up and that they won prelims. I was told by George Bonfiglio himself (President of DCI BOD at the time) - their sheets were collected, and destroyed, and their score was absolutely not tabulated.

The only way we might ever know Hathorne's prelim score, would be to get the individual judges to cough up their scores. Not sure the "tic" judges counted their sheets.

As a legend in my own mind - I have heard the version above as well. I have heard that Jim Jones was involved - but can't remember how? Troopers were in 13th at prelims time. With Hawthorne out, the 13th place corps was then a finalist - did Don Warren give Jim Jones a break ??? It's a conspiracy that people like to carry on with.....

Often times we hear about the Muchachos 1975 prelim score sheets being added up and that they won prelims. I was told by George Bonfiglio himself (President of DCI BOD at the time) - their sheets were collected, and destroyed, and their score was absolutely not tabulated.

The only way we might ever know Hathorne's prelim score, would be to get the individual judges to cough up their scores. Not sure the "tic" judges counted their sheets.

yep heard all that also..I know members were told they won and a DCI official at the time led them to believe this as well.

Yeah some of the old respected guys were alot tougher than most like to let on and competition was just as fierce as it is now....maybe more

I did hear Warren and Jones were sorta a team back then and I do know some didn't like MAC ( Hawthornes director..also have to remember kids rarely corps hopped so the kid that went back to cavies did what he had to to get back in good graces i guess.

dang, I thought this thread was gonna have something to do with Dairy Queen, been craving a delicious shake all day.

DCI was shown on TV?

Glad the activity is that healthy today

Back to topic - the way I heard it was a guy in Cavies had fight w/ girlfriend in 'chachos, and for revenge went to Don Warren.

But Cavies were certainly involved, as was Phantom in 77 w/ Bayonne. Maybe there is something in the water in Illinois. Or New Jersey.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Good grief. I said it was A viable answer from someone, not THE answer....and then I gave my own opinion (which, to reiterate, was that no full-size drum corps is carried by a single person). But even when I agree with you, you disagree with me.

Audiob: I emphasized the word THE as a form of tongue-in-cheek; do we "always" have to use these little icons to indicate intent? :rolleyes::smile::doh::w00t::tongue: