Allentown: What's the big deal?

never heard of it. I just know Pineville is what we named the area where we have tailgated due to the pine trees

Perhaps he didn't keep it going after the move to Franklin Field?

I wrote the following for DCI.org when we went to Philadelphia during the reconstruction of J. Birney Crum Stadium.

One person who has reason to miss Allentown is Larry Eckert of Putnam Valley, NY. He was the impetus behind “Eckertsville,” the campground city that sprung up each year from 1978 through 2000 right across the street from J. Birney Crum Stadium. About a dozen hardy fans joined him in the makeshift campground, and each year, about 150 corps fans dropped by to eat, drink, reminisce, and watch old drum corps videos.

Allentown was where Larry’s future wife was first introduced to drum corps. For Larry, “Waking up in the morning and knowing I was in drum corps heaven, and being able to walk down the street and listen to corps rehearse, was something that will never be duplicated outside of Allentown.”

Indeed, as accommodating as the University of Pennsylvania is, Franklin Field is a much different experience, an urban environment that certainly is not conducive to camping across from the stadium.

Nah...it's really the pierogies!

:tongue:

I did have a surprise when I asked the vendor about the perogie and found out they are Mrs. Grass, the same ones I buy frozen at home. But they taste so much better than when I make them, perhaps because I don't have a deep fryer.

• Like 1

Allentown does have a place in amny people's hearts but one of the biggest attractions is it is outdoors. So many big shows now are in domes, it's just not the same.

Yep. I think if you mixed up the schedule and had Minneapolis right before finals, you'd draw some big crowds there too. Outdoor drum corps a week before finals in a premier venue that is great for drum corps like that? Count me in. I'd pay finals prices for a show there the weekend before finals, and just skip the oil can forever.

Edited by AlexL

This year was my first time attending Allentown since I marched there in 2000. I will most likely attend every year until I transfer from Philly.....but I will NEVER EVER EVER EAT ANY FUNNEL CAKES OR PIEROGIES.

Perhaps he didn't keep it going after the move to Franklin Field?

I wrote the following for DCI.org when we went to Philadelphia during the reconstruction of J. Birney Crum Stadium.

One person who has reason to miss Allentown is Larry Eckert of Putnam Valley, NY. He was the impetus behind "Eckertsville," the campground city that sprung up each year from 1978 through 2000 right across the street from J. Birney Crum Stadium. About a dozen hardy fans joined him in the makeshift campground, and each year, about 150 corps fans dropped by to eat, drink, reminisce, and watch old drum corps videos.

Allentown was where Larry's future wife was first introduced to drum corps. For Larry, "Waking up in the morning and knowing I was in drum corps heaven, and being able to walk down the street and listen to corps rehearse, was something that will never be duplicated outside of Allentown."

Indeed, as accommodating as the University of Pennsylvania is, Franklin Field is a much different experience, an urban environment that certainly is not conducive to camping across from the stadium.

oh,...that's Pineville now. We named it, have a mayor and town council, you name it :tongue:

oh,...that's Pineville now. We named it, have a mayor and town council, you name it :tongue:

Ah, good. I'm glad to hear it's still around. Usually when I get to the stadium, I have to get right to work and it might be difficult for me to get over because usually drive in a couple DCI.org people, but I'd love to reconnect. I part right by where Pineville is...I really must get over there.

Jeff, please share some stories of what it's like in Pineville. When I saw it (when it was still called Eckerdsville), it was a pretty happening place with lots of camaraderie...and refreshments. At the time, it went on through the night. Does it still do that? (Unfortunately, I've got to get back to the hotel to do the recap analysis and assist with any other DCI.org stuff if needed.)

Who all is invited to partake of the community?

• Like 1

This year was my first time attending Allentown since I marched there in 2000. I will most likely attend every year until I transfer from Philly.....but I will NEVER EVER EVER EAT ANY FUNNEL CAKES OR PIEROGIES.

LOL, never ate a the stadium and always cringed when someone near me had one of them funnel cakes nah (PA Dutch speak). Was there for 79 DCI East Prelims and just a great spot to see the shows even if you were walking around. Always drove to DCA Prelims in the morning and back home for dinner (just wanted to see the corps so skipped Finals).

Parking in the residential area in front of the stadium was the bugger. One year pulled into the parking lot of a supermarket that was closed Sunday. Guy sitting in the bed of a pickup smiles and sez "Here for the show?". When we said yes the response was "You can't park here MOVE!!". So we parked on the stret RIGHT IN FRONT of where he was sitting. He was PO'ed but couldn't do anything. Then on the way out a car on the other side of us pulled out and got sideswiped. Never knew chrome body moulding could go that high in the air. :blink: