Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

It is their show, their right to allow whoever to use their space at whatever show they choose. No sort of legal action applicable to this.

It's actually NOT USSBA's show. They are merely the sanctioning body, and BEING PAID to be so. It is in fact a fund raiser for the high school hosting event. Maybe there is something stated in the "contract" about excusivity to USSBA. That being said USSBA has a very specific "BRANDING" of their shows more so than any of the other circuits. I've personally seen this and in other situations where I'm being paid by the school to provide sound and announcing services, I am being MANAGED by USSBA.

um, TOB as far back as I can remember has always welcome corps from anywhere come and recruit at Championships.I know, I froze in the tunnel in Scranton one year recruiting for Westshore.

I wouldn't exactly say TOB has fallen by the wayside. Going into Championships weekends, over 210 bands participated in TOB events this fall. 130 some bands will participate in the TOB Championships series these nexttwo weekends....Cavalcade may have 70, but thats up from where they were 10 yearsago for sure.

The Band world is cyclical....itcomes and goes, and bands often move to where they can get the best read, score, price etc. Each circuit has pros and cons, and usually it depends on who you talk to and what their most recent score was.

Just a point of info. Calvalcade is up to 110 bands and has seen an influx mid season. They have had to split their champsionships into 2 sites this year moving one whole class to a different venue to compensate for the mid season swell.

But agree that it is an ever changing situation.

Edited by jkmummer

It's actually NOT USSBA's show. They are merely the sanctioning body, and BEING PAID to be so. It is in fact a fund raiser for the high school hosting event. Maybe there is something stated in the "contract" about excusivity to USSBA. That being said USSBA has a very specific "BRANDING" of their shows more so than any of the other circuits. I've personally seen this and in other situations where I'm being paid by the school to provide sound and announcing services, I am being MANAGED by USSBA.

DCA corps are going to USSBa shows hosted by BANDS. DCA corps are not allowed at the shows USSBA runs and operates THEMSELVES.

There is a difference. Many of the big shows USSBA runs by themselves...no schools involved in hosting. Think any of the state championships, DeMoulin Challenges Annapolis etc. Those shows are all USSBA run and paid for.

Just a point of info. Calvalcade is up to 110 bands and has seen an influx mid season. They have had to split their champsionships into 2 sites this year moving one whole class to a different venue to compensate for the mid season swell.

But agree that it is an ever changing situation.

good for them. It's nice to see them making a comeback.

As far as Windsor Regiment performing- I made mention of this in my 1st response. It is because that show is not hosted by USSBA, but rather the Robbinsville school district as part of the USSBA circuit. Had it been a regional/Gold/Championship show- its likely, you wouldn't see that.

Yes, I posted prior to the clarifications about a USSBA regional versus a local show.

Yes- 1 announcement. However, on all the promotional material going out to schools, as well as all the other web announcements, DCA was not included. I referenced that in my 1st post, that the announcement you referenced was the 1st one I had seen with DCA mentioned.

Oh, I missed that statement. Not a prob. They are doing what they think best to attract potential members to their audition, IMO. I would think that once there they would be explaining just what this new group is all about, and where they'd be performing. That way they can answer questions face-to-face that kids may have...inc what DCA is. While lots know all about DCI, I bet faaar fewer have any idea what DCA is, and might even think it a typo on the materials! :smile:

And its not geographically restricted to just the Lehigh Valley. By restricting other corps to promote at their larger band shows as far as MD, NY, CT, they are pulling from those areas too.

Oh, not restricted, of course, but I think that their base target will be kids who are relatively close to Allentown, given the weekend-only nature of C2. If some kids from CT want to march, and can commit to the schedule, great! The C2 webpages makes mention of "...ages 16-25 who will be located in the Lehigh Valley".

In my opinion- I believe that label is mis-leading and a slap in the face to the other corps and perhaps DCA in general. Remember, the target audience here are young adults who likely don't have any experience or knowledge of what drum corps is, or they only know DCI. When I hear the term "Regional Ensemble" I think of a band or ensemble (Jazz, Orchestra, or otherwise). I don't think - "Drum Corps". As I mentioned in another post, the C2 poster is up in a band room in a school I teach at and a few of the students thought this was a mixed group including woodwinds. They never through "Drum Corps".

Then it is about TIME DCA let WW march! Why not be a step ahead of DCI for once??? :devil:

I marched in both DCI and DCA. I'm proud to have marched in both. DCA is a great circuit with great opportunities. I know C2 has announced they are competing in DCA but at the same time, for parents and students who don't follow DCP, "Regional Ensemble" sends a different message. Why not just say its a drum corps competing in DCA with occasional appearances in exhibition at DCI shows.

Oh, I agree on DCA. I've seen DCA shows going back to 1970 or so.

As to what they are calling it, etc...its their own right to market themselves as they see fit to attract as many potential members as possible. As I said above, I think the DCA aspect will best be answered in person as kids wonder what it is, as opposed to kids not coming in at all.

BTW , on the same page they call it a regional ensemble, they call it a drum corps too, and they refer to brass, pecussion and guard specifically.

On the C2 website, the homepage makes mention of DCA and brass, percussion and guard, and the About page does as well. Eric Kitchenman's Q&A also makes note of them competing in DCA.

You right! As compared to the Cadets1 and other DCI corps it's not a high cost. But we are not talking about the cost of Cadets2 compared to DCI. We are talking about Cadets2 compared to other DCA corps. I can't speak for a lot of the DCA corps, but for the ones I have been affiliated with in the past, the dues were MUCH lower and included meals and any corps wide transportation (buses to and from events). If I'm driving 3 hours one way each weekend, plus providing my own meals 3 times a day, plus my own sleeping arrangements, and still paying potentially the highest tuition in DCA, I'm going to have a few questions. That gets expensive- QUICK. Especially if the corps 2 hours away from me provides all those things (except for maybe food) for hundreds of dollars less.

And just to clarify- when I say dues were much less when I marched, I'm referring to a time period within the last 3 years. Not- BITD.

If YEA can't draw members at 1K, they'll have to do something else. Is it a reasonable amount to pay? If there are enough members who think so...yes.

When I was with Cabs way back in the day we use to do band show exhibitions. They were fun and always got a great crowd reaction. I hope Windsor Regiment does a great job tomorrow. Good luck at your performance, Unfortunately, Ill be in Hillsborough. Good Luck WR

You can see another "Windsor" at H'boro...If you get a chance to see West Windsor-Plainsboro South, say hi! I'll be there with them, as I am their music (wind and percussion) arranger and also teach the band. :thumbup:

We are in class II Open, and I think we are on around 6:00 PM. Just look for the band with the cellist! :smile:

You can see another "Windsor" at H'boro...If you get a chance to see West Windsor-Plainsboro South, say hi! I'll be there with them, as I am their music (wind and percussion) arranger and also teach the band. :thumbup:

We are in class II Open, and I think we are on around 6:00 PM. Just look for the band with the cellist! :smile:

I always liked watching WWP. I am actually going to be at the Hatboro Show. I look forward to see the show. Good Luck

DCA corps are going to USSBa shows hosted by BANDS. DCA corps are not allowed at the shows USSBA runs and operates THEMSELVES.

There is a difference. Many of the big shows USSBA runs by themselves...no schools involved in hosting. Think any of the state championships, DeMoulin Challenges Annapolis etc. Those shows are all USSBA run and paid for.

And would agree with their exclusivity there. If they're footing the bill they should reap the marketing benefits as well.

When I was with Cabs way back in the day we use to do band show exhibitions. They were fun and always got a great crowd reaction. I hope Windsor Regiment does a great job tomorrow. Good luck at your performance, Unfortunately, Ill be in Hillsborough. Good Luck WR

Thanks guys.

The Robbinsville NJ show will go on as scheduled to begin at 6:00 pm and has been moved indoors. Windsor Regiment will perform after the host band at the end of the show. WR rehearsed for this two weeks ago and the corps is ready to go. Hope to see you there now that the HB show has been re-scheduled.

Stay warm and dry everyone.