Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

You're confusing membership/performers with audience.

The audience, however, isn't. I spent a lot of time at the six DCA shows I attended last summer looking around. It's frightening just how old the majority of the fan base is.

Not to worry. They are dying off. Literally.

It's a problem NOW. It has to be DCA's #1 priority to do something about this immediately. If they (the corps, DCA admin, show sponsors, etc.) don't work to build a younger fan base, there won't be a fan base left in a few short years.

I think once the woodwinds and electronics hits DCA you will see the old folks leaving in droves and the new kids on the block rolling in.

I am sorry but you are incorrect in your assessment. I know for a fact that they were not allowing other corps to recruit at their shows.

Quite frankly I've been to a lot of local USSBA shows in NJ, DE, MD and PA over the last few years and there have been corps other than Cadets with recruiting tables.

It's a problem NOW. It has to be DCA's #1 priority to do something about this immediately. If they (the corps, DCA admin, show sponsors, etc.) don't work to build a younger fan base, there won't be a fan base left in a few short years.

Couldn't agree with you more. And I believe one way that will help is adopting a similar (or exact) format of how the DCI Tour of Champions shows were run. Having a corps stand still and play a modern pop chart while their equipment is exiting off the field and another corps pit is coming on was one of the highlights at the Meadowlands Show last year. I enjoyed listening to the hornlines playing re-arranged pop charts which gave a youthful feel to the activity.

Something like that kept the audience engaged and gave the younger (high school/college) fans something to cheer about.

I also liked how each competition was made into a really big deal for the audience. Before the start of the show, small ensembles were out performing for the crowd inside the stadium (Bass, small hornline,pit...etc.) which sets the tone similar to going to a broadway musical. Once you step into the arena there is always something to entertain you- even before the 1st corps steps off.

Also- having a few representatives, in uniform, from each corps down inside the main entrance to talk to the guests gave it a "meet the performers/backstage" appeal.

Again, all these things set a great presentation for just the average fan. That's a big difference from DCA's sit in the stands/watch drum corps/maybe buy a souvie/leave approach.

Edited by irishbugle

Quite frankly I've been to a lot of local USSBA shows in NJ, DE, MD and PA over the last few years and there have been corps other than Cadets with recruiting tables.

Correct. But every other year they weren't attempting to recruit for their own DCA corps. Now that they are they are being very certain to not allow anyone else to play in THEIR sandbox.

But they still were hoping those DCA corps would still send their volunteeers to help run their shows…

Correct. The point being made is that this year, no other corps is allowed to promote.

This year as well. Ive been to the Broadneck show in Md. A DCI corps (not the Cadets) was there recruiting same thing at the Shawnee show this past weekend.

I do know for a fact a DCA corps was told they could not recruit this year bwcause of C2

This year as well. Ive been to the Broadneck show in Md. A DCI corps (not the Cadets) was there recruiting same thing at the Shawnee show this past weekend.

Could be that maybe YEA just restricted DCA corps than.

Just to confirm what Legal Eagle is saying- I also have 1st hand information saying DCA corps were not allowed to recruit at USSBA shows this year.