Some Answered Questions About Cadets2

I feel safe saying those directors knew the day would come when a dark horse corps would come up out of the woodwork and beat them. They have been safe knowing how hard it is to get a corps off the ground much less having a program that can compete head to head with the top 5.

Its a new ball game folks.

Agreed. I find it hard to believe 11 months form now, Directors will be sitting a table saying "Wow, where did they come from?" If anything, Cadets2 will drive the other corps designers to pull out all the stops and start introducing those radical ideas you have always wanted to do- Which is a good thing.

After reading some comments I see your point now and have to agree. Appears YEAs target audience is potential members who are more interested in being with the Cadets organization than being in DCA. Makes more sense as potentials more interested in DCA would look at other corps. LOL, if they are more interested in being in Cadets org but can't do touring corps than it's C2 or nuttin'.

Haven't been reading the PR but guessing it's "CADETS, CADETS, CADETS.... oh yeah not in DCI". :cool:

I agree that YEA's target audience is potential members interested in being apart of the Cadets, but they are promoting it like its the only option for prospective members who can't commit to a full touring program. DCA's active corps roster says otherwise.

Is it YEA's job to promote other corps?- of course not. But if the other corps can't promote their program at any USSBA events than it's pretty tough to compete against what YEA is selling.

I agree that YEA's target audience is potential members interested in being apart of the Cadets, but they are promoting it like its the only option for prospective members who can't commit to a full touring program. DCA's active corps roster says otherwise.

Is it YEA's job to promote other corps?- of course not. But if the other corps can't promote their program at any USSBA events than it's pretty tough to compete against what YEA is selling.

Wasn't aware that C2 was being promoted like this at USSBA shows.... Can only hope that the potentials (or especially their parents) google Drum Corps and do a WTF when they see other corps... in the area... doing the same #### thing....

Just reminds me of ye olde "After they age out they can't do Drum Corps anymore" on the DCI Finals on PBS.....

I really do not see your point considering the average age of DCA corps is already around 22 years old and getting younger each year.

With Cadets2 raising the bar with a age cap and expected/anticipated drill demand I expect the average age to drop even more. Especially if Cadets2 sees some success rattling the cages and making a huge impact on the top contenders.

This is not your beer drinking senior corps anymore.

Oh, please. As I said earlier, perception and reality are very different. And besides, there's a modicum of truth to the old "beer swilling corps" whether you like it or not, diminished though it may be.

The number of long-time DCA folks that are in denial on this and other important topics is simply astounding.

• Like 2

Oh, please. As I said earlier, perception and reality are very different. And besides, there's a modicum of truth to the old "beer swilling corps" whether you like it or not, diminished though it may be.

The number of long-time DCA folks that are in denial on this and other important topics is simply astounding.

Not sure how much truth there is in it but if that's what some people (and/or their parents) believe, it is a real problem. Second thought... Even if they don't believe it but fear it might be true, why take chances and let little Johnny and Suzie <$1 to 70s BoD member> join?

And if C2 can tap into that beleif/fear.... another point to them vice some other corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And if C2 can tap into that beleif/fear.... another point to them vice some other corps.

Absolutely. With C2, you're seeing the future of DCA. Maybe not as a whole, but if C2 is as successful as many believe (not just competitively), I firmly believe we will see in influx of DCI Open Class corps that can't or won't do the tour anymore. Long-time fans are going to have to change how they perceive these corps and their shows.

Attracting a younger fan base is DCA's Job #1 right now, and Cadets2 is going to be a driving force in that.

Not sure how much truth there is in it but if that's what some people (and/or their parents) believe, it is a real problem. Second thought... Even if they don't believe it but fear it might be true, why take chances and let little Johnny and Suzie <$1 to 70s BoD member> join?

I have done many many studies on parents involvement in their kids period ( one actually published ) and you would be amazed how little parents are aware of what their kids are doing or the company they keep. And YES even those who are paying for them to do drum corps as well as other activities.

There are many very involved parents in our activity and maybe we couldn't survive without them BUT there are many more who it simple wouldnt matter. realistically the controlled inviorment of drum corps is way safer than the street or a frat party for sure.

I dont believe it is anything like to used to be and even back in the day it was more legendary stories that tend to grow as time passes.

Edited by GUARDLING

1) Not allowing other DCA corps to recruit/promote at all USSBA events.

It took years for DCA corps to be able to promote and have recruiting booths at DCI shows and when they did it was hard as pulling teeth getting them to say yes.

I suspect in time USSBA will open up the doors more to other DCA corps. Slow growth. I know I have heard that somewhere before.

Attracting a younger fan base is DCA's Job #1 right now, and Cadets2 is going to be a driving force in that.

Agree 100% with the first and don't care what the causes might be.....

Interesting parallel as my Alumni-type corps has pulled in a few younger members in the last few years. Not 100% sure but changing some things (like what we play) is paying dividends. IOW - can't do same olde, same olde and expect to survive in the long run.