"Ballet Mecanique" George Antheil
  • GERTRUDE WRITES A PLAY
    Music from "The Artist"
    Dr. Bones
    "New Arrival" Danny Elfman
    "Tevot" Thomas Ades

• Like 1

LOL. Not exactly what I meant but...

I just think their detour is over and they're going headfirst back into the esoteric and abstruse.

You just might be very, very wrong.

Or not!

Dadaism: A European artistic and literary movement (1916-1923) that flouted conventional aesthetic and cultural values by producing works marked by nonsense, travesty, and incongruity.

• Like 1

Or not!

Dadaism: A European artistic and literary movement (1916-1923) that flouted conventional aesthetic and cultural values by producing works marked by nonsense, travesty, and incongruity.

In other words, if the evaluation from the judges is that "this BD show is "nonsense", a "travesty", and filled with confusion and "incongruity"," it has the potential to score very, very well.

Sounds like another winner in the making from BD, no ?

If a lot of fans are able to turn to one another after this show's completion and tell one another that they are really " confused " this could be a brilliant production. Imagine if both the judges AND most of the audience feels a sense of nonsense, travesty, and confusion. Why, we might just be looking at a production of pure genius and a show for the ages. But they have set the bar pretty high here in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

• TRISTAN WRITES A MANIFESTO
    "Harmonielehre" John Adams
    "Morrison Mania" James Horner
    "The Children's Hour of Dream" Charles Mingus
    "Symphonies: V" Andre Souris
  • MARCEL PAINTS A MOUSTACHE
    "Bird & Bella in B Flat" Don Sebesky
  • HANNAH MAKES A COLLAGE
    "Gymnopedies" Erik Satie
  • MAN RAY MAKES A METRONOME
    "Ballet Mecanique" George Antheil
  • GERTRUDE WRITES A PLAY
    Music from "The Artist"
    Dr. Bones
    "New Arrival" Danny Elfman
    "Tevot" Thomas Ades

Wow! This is very a interesting mix. Lots of potential. I have a feeling we will be discussing this program for years after it is performed. But for now I am going to shut up and wait till I see it live.

Edited by musclebud

(Posted also in the "2012 Blue Devils" thread):

Seems like Blue Devils didn't get the memo about being more fan-friendly and accessible with their show...

I used to be the biggest Blue Devils fan, back when I first became acquainted with them in the mid-80s, when they would just play shows consisting solely of straight-up jazz - seems like the days of "Channel One Suite" are LONG gone.  One shouldn't need a PhD in modern art or literature to enjoy a drum corps show.

To be fair, it's more of a widespread issue than just the Blue Devils.  Somewhere along the line, drum corps became so engrossed with the concept of themed shows that the wheels just about completely fell off the product.  Don't get me wrong - the talent level has continued to rise every year as the performances get better and better, however the shows themselves seemed to have gone off the deep end.

If you need any proof, you need to look no further than why there was a need to bring Michael Cesario in and create the position for him that DCI did.  Last year seemed to get slightly better in terms of accessible shows, but now one year removed, it almost looks like some corps did this just because they were "forced" to, and this year they're back to the same old, same old.

Flame away...

• Like 3

If you need any proof, you need to look no further than why there was a need to bring Michael Cesario in and create the position for him that DCI did. Last year seemed to get slightly better in terms of accessible shows, but now one year removed, it almost looks like some corps did this just because they were "forced" to, and this year they're back to the same old, same old.

From the programs we've seen so far, I disagree with this. It feels like more corps are bringing crowd pleasing shows this year, at least from a repertoire standpoint... I'll wait until I actually hear and see the shows before I say if they are actually more crowd pleasing than normal.

• Like 2

It always amazes me how clever some folk are. They know how a show's going to work out without hearing one note or seeing one step.

MJCs changes were not just for 2011. I think any corps who moves away from what DCI now call "fan friendly" is taking a huge gamble with regard to how performances are now scored.

• TRISTAN WRITES A MANIFESTO"Harmonielehre" John Adams"Morrison Mania" James Horner"The Children's Hour of Dream" Charles Mingus"Symphonies: V" Andre Souris
  • MARCEL PAINTS A MOUSTACHE"Bird & Bella in B Flat" Don Sebesky
  • HANNAH MAKES A COLLAGE"Gymnopedies" Erik Satie
  • MAN RAY MAKES A METRONOME"Ballet Mecanique" George Antheil
  • GERTRUDE WRITES A PLAYMusic from "The Artist"Dr. Bones"New Arrival" Danny Elfman"Tevot" Thomas Ades

So approximately 1 minute per piece, average? Huh... :huh: