Regiment and Crusaders are going to California in 2012

I didn't read the other "fun facts" as political. What specifically is political about them? It seems to balance the rose-colored fun facts about Cali.

Well, besides the matter of two of the three "facts" from that list apparently being incorrect (I wasn't sure how to check the third: state services California provides to its illegal immigrants against the services provided by those immigrants native countries; to be fair, all three were offered as mere guesses), I would say that the size of California's debt and especially its rate of incarceration are significantly less relevant than the size of California's population and GDP to the question of whether corps should tour there. Maybe a better counter-example, if one were determined to show that the corps should avoid the Golden State, would be to suggest that expenses are higher there. (Are they?) Perhaps we need some lists: reasons to tour / not to tour state A, B, C ? Too hot in Texas? Too cold in Alaska? Too far to Hawai'i?

Since all DCI corps members are required to provide birth certificates, chances are good that neither Phantom nor Boston has any illegal immmgrants marching with them.

Back on topic.....?

• Like 4

I am very excited that BAC & Phantom will be coming out west.

However, with all due respect to Phantom, I would have loved to see another corps make the trip to the left coast (Carolina Crown, I am looking at you!). It was great seeing them last year, but if only 2 non-West corps make the trip, it would have been great to see a new face.

I think that California kinda gets the shaft when it comes to drum corps shows. Given the population power of California (see below) I wish that more groups traveled out west.

Fun facts about California

-If it were an independent country, California would rank 34th in population in the world

-One in Eight Americans lives in California

-Three of the top 10 most populous cities are in California (LA, San Diego, San Jose)

-There are more youth in California high schools than the total population of 17 states

-If California was it's own country, it would have the 7th largest Gross Domestic Product in the world

I get so bored of the California fans #####ing about their seasons or depending upon the rest of the country, mainly mid-west corps to prop up their shows and circuits. You have several world class corps but seem to only be able to keep 2 of them at the top level, why? Seems to me because the California scene is a few really hard core fans and not much else…it’s up to you to developed and grow your own scene and it seems the California scene is only interested in the best of the best…which by definition is finite….I have little sympathy for the California fans that only step in the stadium for G-8 corps…there is a lot more too drum corps than them

And no disrespect to some of the California fans that are out there working really hard, beating their heads against a wall with all the smaller corps trying to get over this fan snobbery which severally limits the California scene

Get your own house in order Cali-fans, your state is so big, so great than why can’t you do better for yourself?

Only other way is to greatly jack the ticket price and bleed the Cali fans for their fix

• Like 1

I get so bored of the California fans #####ing about their seasons or depending upon the rest of the country, mainly mid-west corps to prop up their shows and circuits. You have several world class corps but seem to only be able to keep 2 of them at the top level, why? Seems to me because the California scene is a few really hard core fans and not much else…it's up to you to developed and grow your own scene and it seems the California scene is only interested in the best of the best…which by definition is finite….I have little sympathy for the California fans that only step in the stadium for G-8 corps…there is a lot more too drum corps than them

And no disrespect to some of the California fans that are out there working really hard, beating their heads against a wall with all the smaller corps trying to get over this fan snobbery which severally limits the California scene

Get your own house in order Cali-fans, your state is so big, so great than why can't you do better for yourself?

Only other way is to greatly jack the ticket price and bleed the Cali fans for their fix

Cali sends their corps to the Midwest and East every year at great expense. Please tell us the local shows you like to attend. Perhaps the California corps will make sure not to "bore" you with their pressence. Don't worry, it wont wont affect your attendance numbers because you have your house in order.

• Like 1

Since all DCI corps members are required to provide birth certificates, chances are good that neither Phantom nor Boston has any illegal immmgrants marching with them.......

Ahem......what about those Canadians :w00t:

It's a shame that Cavaliers or Scouts aren't going to Calie. I will be glad personally because I do go to alot of the shows in the midwest during the late part of June and early July, since we have family in that area, and really enjoy Cavies and Scouts. It does seem weird that although Phantom has been in one of the worst shapes of the midwest corps financially, they tend to go west more than any of the other corps. I guess that 1st place bailout a couple of years ago must have put them financially back on the map.

And to anyone who thinks California gets robbed of great corps during the early season, I think that is ridiculous. I would love to be there for a show featuring, SCV, BD, Pacific Crest, Academy, Mandarins, VK, Impulse, Gold, and some of the other corps that are from California. To me, that is an amazing early season lineup. I do agree it would be nice for them to see the top 12 or even all 23 World Class corps out there early in the season, but I don't think the lineups at alot of those bigger shows are anything to sneeze at. I don't think any other state has quite the level of drum corps that California does. I believe they not only have the most World class corps, but I think they also have the most Open Class corps as well. It is a shame budget doesn't allow all of them to travel to the midwest for finals week.

I personally wish all the corps would start their tour in the California area, and have super regionals with all the corps every weekend. That way almost every part of the country could be within a 6 hour drive of all World Class corps. It seems like the money coming into the huge shows would be enough to maybe give the corps a little more money, as those shows are usually tend to draw crowds 10 times the size of a regular season show. and if you split the corps into about 3 groups all traveling together, and possible even have 2 night shows during the week in larger cities, I think overall attendance would be greater during the season. It would also be cool in my opinion if somehow 2 or more of the corps could find a way to tour together, utilizing the same food trucks and vending booths. Think of the savings of not having 4 or 5 vehicles traveling the entire season. If timings were planned out right, I think that could work out very well for alot of corps. It is just too bad it is difficult to coordinate that many people without having major issues.

Great to see Boston heading to Cali though. I can't remember the last time other than when finals were held there that Boston was out west.

• Like 2

Those kids need to make sure they get some In-N-Out when they get over here.

Shouldn't be a problem since San Francisco seems to be on a free-day list. There's one in Fisherman's Wharf, next to Hooter's. I think the In-N-Out t-shirts there are even labeled with "Fisherman's Wharf" rather than "California".

I'm praying for a Stanford World Class lineup as follows:

BD

SCV

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Seattle Cascades

Academy

Add the Open Class and Seniors, and Stanford could be THE premier West Coast show to go to. Long day, but I'd be game.

• Like 3

Ahem......what about those Canadians :w00t:

What is so illegal about being a certified Canadian citizen ? Or Dutch, or British ? An illegal is someone in the country under fallse pretenses....

Shouldn't be a problem since San Francisco seems to be on a free-day list. There's one in Fisherman's Wharf, next to Hooter's. I think the In-N-Out t-shirts there are even labeled with "Fisherman's Wharf" rather than "California".

I'm praying for a Stanford World Class lineup as follows:

BD

SCV

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Seattle Cascades

Academy

Add the Open Class and Seniors, and Stanford could be THE premier West Coast show to go to. Long day, but I'd be game.

I tried to get to Stanford in 2011 but stuff happened. However, Stanford is on my 2012 agenda and I have a passport. It's been many years since I visited California; What's with that? :lookaround: I'll try to come by and say hi :smile: