Why we watch (and tend to like shows of "our era"

Interesting article about "mirror neurons". This also may explain part of the difficulty drum corps has in attracting audiences who have not themselves participated in marching, and why we tend to like to watch shows from the era we marched in:

Grantland article: This is your Brain on Sports

"experience of feeling almost physically active when I watched sports or dance, as if I were running, leaping, dodging, punching, and crashing to the ground myself. It was as if from my couch potato position I had reaped the benefit of at least a portion of the endorphins a workout would produce."

Possibly, or maybe it is just that the older stuff was just better and more entertaining!?!?! :thumbup:

• Like 4

Interesting article about "mirror neurons". This also may explain part of the difficulty drum corps has in attracting audiences who have not themselves participated in marching, and why we tend to like to watch shows from the era we marched in:

Grantland article: This is your Brain on Sports

"experience of feeling almost physically active when I watched sports or dance, as if I were running, leaping, dodging, punching, and crashing to the ground myself. It was as if from my couch potato position I had reaped the benefit of at least a portion of the endorphins a workout would produce."

Interesting

Personally, I'm more interested in shows from before I marched, and shows well after I marched. The era I marched (late 90's) doesn't do too much for me, nor do many of the shows right after I aged-out.

But I can TOTALLY see the logic in this article, and I was obviously a big drum corps fan before I marched. My 'favorite' era of drum corps would probably be late 80's - early 90's which directly precedes when I marched and was when I first discovered drum corps.

My hunch, the brain neurons respond more favorably to something we have seen and experienced live, than something similar we view filtered through a camera and sound recorder and reproduced and stored for later viewing. Thats what my brain is telling me now anyway, but who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

very interesting. I'm weird tho...I like stuff from all eras.

• Like 1

What does it say about following corps you remember competing against? Realized over the years when one of "those" :tongue: corps come out my first thought is memories of back then. Have a few favs of corps I never saw BITD but they're almost the exception to the rule. And one of the "never saw then corps" reminds of some corps back then.....

Far as other eras, I'm a history buff and enjoy pre-1974 shows. But lot of that interest come from hearing/seeing how corps was done before my time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I liked it before I marched, when I marched and still today I love this activity! I think that, lately< corps are starting to become more entertaining for the fans and I hope that DCI continues to tell the corps to be more entertaining. Vince Bruni had it right with the Empire Statesmen and year after year they entertain the fans. They put out a show that caters to the fans...and if they win? More the better!

Love to see these "dark" shows go away and bring back entertaining shows, music that we can whistle/hum to as we leave the stadium.

• Like 1