The DVD has landed

Just go the Blu-rays today. Kudos Mr. Blair, and the rest of the team who put together such a great product. The look & sound are just as great as I was hoping they'd be: I've NEVER seen drum corps look this crisp and sound so 'rich' and full on any recording before. This is a great looking/sounding product, and any hard corps DCI fan owes it to themselves to spend the extra money and upgrade to the blu-rays: the upgrade in quality is phenomenal, and worth the extra cash!

Thanks again DCI video production crew!!

Edited by perc2100

I have not spoken with anyone about this, but I know from a prior circumstance that if an organization pays a higher fee to one copyright holder, then that organizations is required to pay ALL copyright holders the same higher fee. And in that case, the product would be priced out of reach and $170.00 would be left behind in a trail of dust.

The way around that is to have the individual corps then release their own dvd of their show, assuming the demand would warrant that to happen, and the corps could break even, or hopefully even pull a profit.

Edited by MisterA

wow... You people are amazing. So quick to blame DCI. Do you REALLY think that DCI just CHOSE not to get sync rights for this stuff, bc of money? Do you really think they want to be answering the phone calls and emails from you people complaining about the black-out on your DVDs?

Trust me - they didn't get the rights bc they couldn't. Period. Honestly, the Scouts staff knew this was a possibility when they got permission to arrange, and chose to go ahead with it. When you get arranging rights, you usually can get a pretty good idea about sync rights. TRUST ME, they knew.

And don't blame DCI for "tricking" you into buying DVDs and then telling you about the rights issues. I am sure they tried until DVD production/distribution began, and finally had to make the decision that they did.

It is absolutely 100% the corps responsibility to make sure they pick music that won't have issues, in my opinion. Just bc DCI has to secure sync rights doesn't mean they are going to check up on corps repertoires in the spring and say "hey, you may want to re-think...". That's not their job.

I guarantee you won't see a DVD from the Scouts with the full show - I spoke with someone very close to the corps, and the sync rights were DENIED. Not TOO EXPENSIVE. DENIED.

• Like 5

:thumbup:

wow... You people are amazing. So quick to blame DCI. Do you REALLY think that DCI just CHOSE not to get sync rights for this stuff, bc of money? Do you really think they want to be answering the phone calls and emails from you people complaining about the black-out on your DVDs?

Trust me - they didn't get the rights bc they couldn't. Period. Honestly, the Scouts staff knew this was a possibility when they got permission to arrange, and chose to go ahead with it. When you get arranging rights, you usually can get a pretty good idea about sync rights. TRUST ME, they knew.

And don't blame DCI for "tricking" you into buying DVDs and then telling you about the rights issues. I am sure they tried until DVD production/distribution began, and finally had to make the decision that they did.

It is absolutely 100% the corps responsibility to make sure they pick music that won't have issues, in my opinion. Just bc DCI has to secure sync rights doesn't mean they are going to check up on corps repertoires in the spring and say "hey, you may want to re-think...". That's not their job.

I guarantee you won't see a DVD from the Scouts with the full show - I spoke with someone very close to the corps, and the sync rights were DENIED. Not TOO EXPENSIVE. DENIED.

:thumbup:

FWIW, I think more people are upset about the issues with Crown and Cavies than Madison. For the most part, we had a pretty good idea we weren't going to get Madison-it was stated even before the end of the season that sync rights had been denied. The issues with Crown and Cavies came out of left field, and NOTHING was mentioned until customers started receiving their products and noticed that certain "edits" had been made-and then, at the same time, the FN videos were pulled. IMO, that's called "bait & switch"-you purchase the product thinking you're getting one thing, and another lesser one is substituted in its place. DCI should have stepped up and been completely forthcoming as soon as they realized this possibility. Actually selling AND shipping a product that they KNEW was incomplete (in addition to Madison) is at the very least, unethical. Is this the message that we want our young men and women to take with them from their drum corps experience, that it's OK to try to fleece your customers so long as you close the sale?

• Like 3

...And don't blame DCI for "tricking" you into buying DVDs and then telling you about the rights issues. I am sure they tried until DVD production/distribution began, and finally had to make the decision that they did.

I think Grumpy addressed this just now, but it's the way DCI handled the situation. They could have e-mailed us and let us know beforehand that there would be additional edits. SOMETHING. Instead, we get nary a peep from DCI. Very slimy business tactics if you ask me.

Me? I am very upset about the edits. Here's why:

Phantom's ending is from semi-finals, which is a much less epic ending and in fact, pretty lame imo. I never liked this ending until finals, and then they edit it out. Are you telling me there wasn't ONE camera that had a frontal shot on Juliet? And if so, so be it. We know she doesn't really "kill" herself, so why edit that back shot out? Those of us who have FN have already gotten used to this shot anyway.

I'm even more upset about Crown's edits (or lack thereof.) Why cut the pre-show? That sets the mood for the whole show. I wasn't nearly as upset about this edit, however, as I was about the LACK of an edit. They edited Phantom's ending because (I guess) the effect was ruined due to a poor camera angle, but they don't bother to edit the guitar smash from semi-finals into Crown's ending? WHY? So, we get to see a failed guitar smash, which to me is much more disappointing than seeing the back shot of Juliet "killing" herself. Man, I'm ###### about this. I thought, "Surely they will edit in the good smash from semis since they so heavily edited everyone else's performance." but no. We get the failed attempt. There was absolutely no need to leave this as is. They could have cut to the shot from semis seamlessly, as they did with the Cavies' edit, and the cut back and it would have been epic. Instead, we get a big fail bomb. That guard dude deserves better. We all do. Cavies' edit was jarring, but it didn't bother me that much. It was only jarring because I know the shows so well. It still sucks that they are doing this. I am seriously considering not purchasing finals blurays again because of all of this and mostly because of the way it was handled. Shame on you, DCI.

• Like 5

I wonder if it really was just the Rihanna sample in the Crown show? Seems to me you could edit that right out with Celemony. Or copy/paste a clip from earlier or later to erase it. Or (worse case) just mute those sections with the sample -- it's only a few seconds long.

I think Grumpy addressed this just now, but it's the way DCI handled the situation. They could have e-mailed us and let us know beforehand that there would be additional edits. SOMETHING. Instead, we get nary a peep from DCI. Very slimy business tactics if you ask me.

Me? I am very upset about the edits. Here's why:

Phantom's ending is from semi-finals, which is a much less epic ending and in fact, pretty lame imo. I never liked this ending until finals, and then they edit it out. Are you telling me there wasn't ONE camera that had a frontal shot on Juliet? And if so, so be it. We know she doesn't really "kill" herself, so why edit that back shot out? Those of us who have FN have already gotten used to this shot anyway.

I'm even more upset about Crown's edits (or lack thereof.) Why cut the pre-show? That sets the mood for the whole show. I wasn't nearly as upset about this edit, however, as I was about the LACK of an edit. They edited Phantom's ending because (I guess) the effect was ruined due to a poor camera angle, but they don't bother to edit the guitar smash from semi-finals into Crown's ending? WHY? So, we get to see a failed guitar smash, which to me is much more disappointing than seeing the back shot of Juliet "killing" herself. Man, I'm ###### about this. I thought, "Surely they will edit in the good smash from semis since they so heavily edited everyone else's performance." but no. We get the failed attempt. There was absolutely no need to leave this as is. They could have cut to the shot from semis seamlessly, as they did with the Cavies' edit, and the cut back and it would have been epic. Instead, we get a big fail bomb. That guard dude deserves better. We all do. Cavies' edit was jarring, but it didn't bother me that much. It was only jarring because I know the shows so well. It still sucks that they are doing this. I am seriously considering not purchasing finals blurays again because of all of this and mostly because of the way it was handled. Shame on you, DCI.

I have to agree with you. This kind of stuff is starting to get old. No one at DCI wants to take responsibility. Doesn't the organization have someone that knows something about copyright laws. There has been one screw up after another recently with that ridiculous 10 year agreement with Lucas Stadium being perhaps the worst. Maybe it is time for new blood at DCI itself. These kind of f### ups need to stop. DCI is starting to remind me of the U.S. congress..... out of touch and incompetent. When do heads start to roll?

• Like 1