Restructuring the DCI BOD

DCI is a registered 501©(3) with the IRS.

However... there are different *official designations* within the 501c3 classification. For example, not all 501c3's are registered as Religious Organizations, and therefore not all 501c3 institutions can raise funds as a religious organization. What Rifuarian was implying was that even though DCI is registered as a 501c3 *Charitable* Organization, but may no longer function as a Charity, DCI could be squeezed into being an Educational Institution, or an Amateur Competitive Sport, without *officially* being registered as such. And that is not true.

Edited by Stu

Drum corps is marching band. The sooner people just get over it... and learn to live with that reality... the better it will be.

drum corps is like marching band yes. But there ARE differences.

High School bands dont tour around the country on a bus every summer.

You want to put together a rock concert like promotional gig for bands great. But first, let's fix drum corps.

Well, if you love America then it's your patriotic duty to report DCI to the IRS immediately. These SOBs have gotten a free ride on the back of the American taxpayer for far too long.

You do love America, don't you?

As long as corps like Legends, Racine Scouts, Genesis, et al are being supported by DCI then DCI is fulfilling the 501c3 mission. However, if the G7 proposal (in its entirety, with elimination for support of the aforementioned corps) had passed, I would have been first in line to scream to the IRS that their 501c3 status should have been revoked.

These are only my views.... nothing else behind it.

If the activity is depending on parents and alum to make up the fanbase... might as well pack it in now.

thats been a core part of the audience for say, oh ever.

you have to have them for when you can't get the regular joes in off the streets.

and guess what...modern design isnt going to do that

In this case, 12 year olds should be exceptionally mature.... and 19 year olds to be more responsible.

My little brother, for example, turned 12 in the middle of tour his first year... in a corps with 21 year olds. He handled it pretty well, and was definitely an exception... but I think if the max age was lower parents would feel more comfortable about kids participating at a younger age.

ok 12 with 19 is ok, but 15 with 21 isnt. your logic fails somewhere here

I am really not sure the word PILFER applies to how kids move around these days... I can personally tell you that I moved corps, I started where I thought I would be accepted, and when I felt more confident, I went to the corps I wanted to be a part of. I do not believe this is pilfering on the part of the 2nd corps. It was a dream worked toward and achieved.

agreed. Whats sad is, some of the G7 corps have greatly benefitted from this yet dont realize it

What matters is the *official IRS designation* not what we think it might be accomplishing. So, is DCI *officially registered with the IRS* as an Educational Institution? Nope; A Religious Organization? Nope; Scientific? Nope; Literary? Nope; Public Safety? Nope; Fostering Amateur Sports? Nope; Preventing Cruelty? Nope; Charitable? Hmmmmmmmm.

They are not registered as a charitable organization.. this has been addressed before on these thread. They are a performing arts organization - A Arts, Culture, and Humanities / A6C (Music Groups, Bands, Ensembles).

Is your local opera a charity? Is the International Double Reed Society a charity? Is the Cincinnati Ballet a charity?

Once again... here are al the major classifications:

I. Arts, Culture, and Humanities - A

II. Education - B

III. Environment and Animals - C, D

IV. Health - E, F, G, H

V. Human Services - I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P

VI. International, Foreign Affairs - Q

VII. Public, Societal Benefit - R, S, T, U, V, W

VIII. Religion Related - X

IX. Mutual/Membership Benefit - Y

X. Unknown, Unclassified - Z

All sub categories of codes.

You point to the total cost of participation in a touring drum corps (including 12 weeks of room and board) and describe it as a "barrier to entry"....and you don't see how the cost of alternative room and board is relevant?

The "barrier to entry" is the cost difference between marching and not marching.

Not revenant because the kid could work in that scenario.

Translation: you can't quantify how much any corps contributed to the bottom line. Thanks for proving my point....again.

Can I quantify this? Yes.

Can I quantify this to you? No.

It's not my place to give out any internal data... not mine. If you want it, ask the owners of the data and see if they will give it to you.

I can simply comment on it. It's not like I'm talking about seeing a UFO or something... it is just numbers that any logical, rational human would say "ah, yeah.. that makes sense".

You are letting emotion cloud your views.

However... there are different *official designations* within the 501c3 classification. For example, not all 501c3's are registered as Religious Organizations, and therefore not all 501c3 institutions can raise funds as a religious organization. What Rifuarian was implying was that even though DCI is registered as a 501c3 *Charitable* Organization, but may no longer function as a Charity, DCI could be squeezed into being an Educational Institution, or an Amateur Competitive Sport, without *officially* being registered as such. And that is not true.

Once again.... DCI is not registered as a charity... never was.

The point I was trying to make is that in many people's minds it is and should behave more as one.

Drum corps, within DCI, is very far from a youth development program, as previously stated, because only youth that are already very highly developed can participate.

Point is... get over all of this and just see it for what it really is and figure out how to maximize that.

Drum corps isn't what it was when many people on this board were kids. It's a different animal now, targeting a different type of participant. It is never going back, at least in the context of DCI.

My point here is that there is sort of a split focus by still hanging onto this idea that you can take kids off the streets and teach them how to play, etc. This is why there is such emotional support for smaller, lower performing corps. DCI, however, cannot effectively serve 2 masters... and needs to FOCUS.

Activity needs to get a bit leaner, more focused (yet diversify revenue streams)... attract corporate sponsorship. In reality, corporate sponsors will want to see a more focused DCI brand.... where all aspects associated with the brand are of the highest level of performance. This is reality.

My point is to simply take a realistic approach... and encourage a redefinition of the purpose of DCI and to encourage the development of smaller corps in maybe a more appropriate environment.