Restructuring the DCI BOD

Actually, the priority would be to improve them by concentrating focus.. 15 WC, 15 OC (age out of OC at 19).

Focus would be on improving the levels of all corp to be on par with top in each division. Corps could start in another circuit and move into DCI OC if they meet minimum level.

but the problem is there are more than 30 corps out there.

I'm suregiven your ties, this G7 the next variation, but any plan that supports eliminating any corps is a step in the wrong direction. You say you want more kids to participate, yet everything you say leads to fewer kids participating.

fewer kids leads to fewer parents, fewer fans and alum sticking around and paying for tickets and everything else.

Please explain: why the age-out of OC at 19? My cynical size says because those kids will be forced to try out for WC, and over 19 fits their demo better. I see some logic in this, but why retire a kid who can't make WC when he now has 2 or 3 years left to march?

If all levels of corps are on par with the top corps, then competition is effectively removed and the activity becomes a specific entertainment activity. Is this also part of your vision?

Limiting the age for OC to 19 creates a better environment for attracting kids younger than 14, say drop it down to 12... so, OC 12-19... WC 15-21.

It is not a good idea for kids younger than 15 to be touring with kids over 18-19... there is just a bit too much of a gap there. This shift would even things out a bit in OC and also encourage participation at a younger age.... so, more potential kids participation over a greater potential length of tie.

If the kid can't make WC, then there are other options out there.... like DCA, for example... just think there are many benefits to caping the OC age at 19.

Many marching bands and winter guards perform on a higher level and provide a better quality of experience than some drum corps currently competing in DCI.

Raising the bar will cause some of these corps to either fold or step up their game. If they are not able to perform on the level of top marching bands in the country (who draw kids from only ONE SCHOOL)... there is not much lost in them folding.

this isnt about marching bands Daniel, it's about DCI. Sure, given your YEA ties, I'm sure the more marching bands out there that join USSBA makes your friends happy ( except in oh, say every other circuit).

Limiting the age for OC to 19 creates a better environment for attracting kids younger than 14, say drop it down to 12... so, OC 12-19... WC 15-21.

It is not a good idea for kids younger than 15 to be touring with kids over 18-19... there is just a bit too much of a gap there. This shift would even things out a bit in OC and also encourage participation at a younger age.... so, more potential kids participation over a greater potential length of tie.

If the kid can't make WC, then there are other options out there.... like DCA, for example... just think there are many benefits to caping the OC age at 19.

by your logic, it's also not good for 12 year olds to be touring with 19 year olds

And did I catch that the Vaticinate study was contradictory with that data regarding the percentage of G7 corps' membership comes from OC?

Can you share the actual stat?

Also, Persona showed that corps pilfer another 30% of their membership from other top corps. Is that also refuted among the G7 corps?

Top corps do have a lot of back and forth... but there are a few corps that don't seem to have kids moving so much between them.

this isnt about marching bands Daniel, it's about DCI. Sure, given your YEA ties, I'm sure the more marching bands out there that join USSBA makes your friends happy ( except in oh, say every other circuit).

Drum corps is marching band. The sooner people just get over it... and learn to live with that reality... the better it will be.

but the problem is there are more than 30 corps out there.

I'm suregiven your ties, this G7 the next variation, but any plan that supports eliminating any corps is a step in the wrong direction. You say you want more kids to participate, yet everything you say leads to fewer kids participating.

fewer kids leads to fewer parents, fewer fans and alum sticking around and paying for tickets and everything else.

These are only my views.... nothing else behind it.

If the activity is depending on parents and alum to make up the fanbase... might as well pack it in now.

Ahhh...makes sense now. Thanks. As a father of a twelve year old, regardless of his hands at 14, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with him touring with 20 year-olds. I'd have to have a lot of trust in the management.

by your logic, it's also not good for 12 year olds to be touring with 19 year olds

In this case, 12 year olds should be exceptionally mature.... and 19 year olds to be more responsible.

My little brother, for example, turned 12 in the middle of tour his first year... in a corps with 21 year olds. He handled it pretty well, and was definitely an exception... but I think if the max age was lower parents would feel more comfortable about kids participating at a younger age.

And did I catch that the Vaticinate study was contradictory with that data regarding the percentage of G7 corps' membership comes from OC?

Can you share the actual stat?

Also, Persona showed that corps pilfer another 30% of their membership from other top corps. Is that also refuted among the G7 corps?

But you didn't address this one...

Edited by garfield