Cadets2 question...

alloweing the TRUE "senior corps" to exist in the Alumni corps activity? Lets face it, at the "senior corps level", it's not about competition anyway. It's about getting your face melted old school style. :thumbup:

If you're talking about the Alumni-type corps, not true for all....

No! You are literally saying the same things I am and agreeing with me to the point where as YOU SAID...you are defending YEA (which is what I TOO am doing) and then you are attacking me as if I don't agree. Then you will add insults (which I thought was frowned upon on DCP) which I guess is the part that I'm supposed to be intimidated by. LOL! Trust me, I've had to take a thicker skin to far more important people than you. :rolleyes:

I was just laughing at the same thing you responded to... even a relatively inocuous question like this and the teeth get bared.

Reminds me of the old RAMD days... sadly...

If I missed anyone ask this earlier I apologize - this is the only question I'm coming up with out of this - most kids in the junior corps age (17 - 22?) are back at school prior to Labor Day. Most OC corps' rosters would be decimated by Labor Day. How will this play with C2?

BTW - I'm not going to ask anyone to consider any sources on either side of the earlier poo throwing contest but I've seen some DCI kids (OC and WC) with some pretty nice keyboard skills. The reference to pushing down some buttons is a little like saying Frank Dorritie put the horn to his face and that music came out - feel free to fill in the name of your own superstar player if you're not as old as I and therefore not as big a Frank fan. You can insert Jim Brady or Frank Ponzo or Donny Allen but you get my point. There's more to it than holding down buttons. We don't have to like the synths on the field (how do you think I feel? I'm a dinosaur with a daughter playing synth)but we don't have to insult the kids or their skills.

• Like 1

If I missed anyone ask this earlier I apologize - this is the only question I'm coming up with out of this - most kids in the junior corps age (17 - 22?) are back at school prior to Labor Day. Most OC corps' rosters would be decimated by Labor Day. How will this play with C2?

Well, the many, many high school kids that march in the existing DCA corps don't seem to have many issues with that, so why would C2 if they recruit from the same area? Besides, since C2 and YEA are not shy about using USSBA as a recruiting base, I doubt those band directors are going to have many issues either.

You know, now that I'm finally starting to accept the idea of C2 in DCA - I think this takes this discussion in an interesting new direction. Is it time to allow C2 and the other young corps in DCA to become the forerunners in making DCA's competitive circuits have a younger age cap - and alloweing the TRUE "senior corps" to exist in the Alumni corps activity? Lets face it, at the "senior corps level", it's not about competition anyway. It's about getting your face melted old school style. :thumbup:

there is room for some of both in DCA, and every year many corps prove that true.

Didn't know having a discussion, sharing opinions and even allowing a little "heat" in the debate made me a troll. Furthermore, will everyone lay off me already? I've said at least 8 times now that I accept the decision. RELEASE THE FANGS! :rock:

Good point. I guess it depends on the design of the show. They could be every bit as polished as a top level DCI OC corps or a lower leve DCI World/Open Semifinalist but with a show design that fits the DCA sheets.:huh2:

If they deserve it (I said "if"...even though I predict that they will) and DON'T get it, DCA needs to change something within their system or their own biased ways.

An example of what I mean: If Blue Devils B in 2012 put that show on the DCA field and did not win, it would have been a travesty. They were that much better than every DCA corps on the field. I was there (at DCA finals) and saw BDB in Indianapolis. Some will hate me for saying this...but BDB was better than everyone.

So what's my point? If C2 is that good (which is the assumption...yes...only an assumption that I'm basing my arguments off of), they should win (unless Buccs or MBI really step it up). At the very least, if they aren't in the top 5 (assuming they will have BDBs quality....AND MAYBE they wont), something is wrong.

why do yo continue to compare DCi to DCA? You can't do that. A DCi corps, even BDB rehearses and performs far more than a DCA corps does. DCA is weekend only. You keep throwing up BDB, but they do far more rehearsal and performances than any DCA corps will.

you kill your arguments every time you do that. DCI, even Open Class, to DCA is apples to oranges. Be it age, be it schedule...it's not a like comparison

• Like 2

Dude, I AGREEEEEEE with what you are saying. Will you stop barking up the wrong tree. I cannot find a single point you have made that I disagree with. Not ONE. Stop fighting against what is not fighting against you.

you and i agree on SOME points. And we don't on others. That's what your missing. see the post above this for further proof

• Like 1

OP- Its been a couple days since I read this thread. Thanks for the comment about great post. . But going through all these pages, I just wanted to ask- Are you marching anywhere this season?

I think the only way we are going to forget this perception of Cadets2 is by marching ourselves. And have more adults our age march with us. Our Recruitment campaign- "Like BeBe's kids- We don't die, we multiply".( Cause people our age probably remember who said that and what it means). Joking aside- Why does it seem DCA competitive corps have a shortage of us? 25 and older guys who still want to march? Maybe there are a lot of us, but we don't hear about them. Not as much as we hear about the kids.

As I mentioned in my prior post, friends of mine have put down the horn, the flag, or the sticks because of thoughts on age, drill etc. In many cases, it has to do with thier perception of DCA making a cultural shift- That shift being not what they want or what they are used to. ( Not always because of physical demand). They may have marched in the 80s or 90s in DCI ( or wish they had).- but have some hangups on marching now. They may feel that the "pasture is calling for them" - either in "life with the wife" or they see so many kids doing this- Its just not their thing anymore.

Its not by rule that DCA doesn't have an age cap- nor is it by rule they allow it. Hence, you are always going to get the answers you have seen on here- Mainly people stating the obvious.- That DCA corps can do what they want in terms of membership. The independence of corps to make their own decisions without the roadblocks of DCA -Its so Ron Paul- but yes, it seems that's the way it is. And that may be the way it will stay.

So, if there is going to be a corps with an age cap, let's encourage ourselves to march and have others our age join us. The less of us- the more Cadets2 and all the doubtful and sometimes negative thoughts surrounding it, and the youth movement, will exist.

why do yo continue to compare DCi to DCA? You can't do that. A DCi corps, even BDB rehearses and performs far more than a DCA corps does. DCA is weekend only. You keep throwing up BDB, but they do far more rehearsal and performances than any DCA corps will.

you kill your arguments every time you do that. DCI, even Open Class, to DCA is apples to oranges. Be it age, be it schedule...it's not a like comparison

Valid point.

• Like 1

you and i agree on SOME points. And we don't on others. That's what your missing. see the post above this for further proof

Fair enough, but I think we agree on more than what we disagree with. The frustrating part for me is on a lot of what we DO agree on, you are posing against me as argument as if I don't agree. That's frustrating because it's as if you are dictating to me what I believe or what my opinions are. Even other people see it - as one user several posts up even noted.

i.e.,...

I was just laughing at the same thing you responded to... even a relatively inocuous question like this and the teeth get bared.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

Yup! They sure are.

No- they sure aren't. One paragraph was about what I believe is the average age of DCA currently, and the other paragraph discussed the physical condition of some of the performers I know who are over a certain age. Average means just that,... its the mathmatical average of ages, meaning some might be less than 23, some might be more. The 6 or so people that I know that still compete and are in the upper age demographic are in really good health, potentially better than most of the people I know in their early 20's. That's what that paragraph stated.

6 or so people does not contradict an average age of 23.