Cadets2 question...

Gary,

You nailed our problem in education in the past 25 years...Reading Comprehension! DCP is the WORST place! So many people read a post and then flip it around, turn it inside out and then cut it up to make the OP something totally different.

I love Glen's post...write George and ask. Boy if that isn't the best answer. It should have been the 2nd post and this post wouldn't go fo pages and pages LOL.

dude,................check out the website photos and video,.........................reading comprehension is needed,.......they had 25 - 30 people on snare drums alone,................not as many horns as you seem to think,.......and they had guard there, they said they would not be back until April

Because the younger kids are going to be in better physical shape and will be able to do more of a demanding drill design and have more physical endurance. Handicap my butt. Sure, the old guys in senior corps might be more experienced players (some even professionals) but that don't mean SQUAT when they have to MOVE and play. Old guys (even the best of them) will have more feet pulsation in the sound and struggle more to get a great sound. Sorry to break it to ya, but unless you are a 38 year old NFL athlete, the old guys in this activity will not hold up physically in comparison to the kids. Sorry to burst your bubble. There are not many truly athletic adults in DCA. Rather, it's mostly made up of old guys with beer guts trying to re-live their glory years. And hey, I aint knockin it. I PAY good momey to see it every year and even marched in a DCA corps myself once. But let's be real....those DCI age kids will march circles around the older DCA corps.

My response to you in short: You are DREEEEAAAAAMIN!!!

I know I'm a few days behind here; I just started reading through these pages yesterday. If you think that "Old Guys" have more pulsation in their sound and struggle to get a great sound, than I can only conclude you know nothing of today's DCA and have fallen victim to the stereotypes created by DCI staff and loyalists by ignorance.

For starters, the average age of the larger DCA corps is around 23 rights now. The only corps that I can think of that has an average age of 30+, and this is only based on my observations from last year, is the Hurcs. They seem to have a slightly older average membership. And for what its worth, they seem to be competing quite well these days- only supporting the claim that age is not really a factor.

I can think of quite a few performers still marching in DCA today who are over the age of 40 and could run circles around anyone in Cadets2. Any that's more the rule, not the exception. I challenge you to go tell Frank Ponzo he will not hold up physically to the younger members and he struggles to produce a good sound. I think that is an event we could sell tickets for.

It's been witnessed by many that the more experience you have in this activity, the better a performer you are. Age rarely plays a factor. Whats more of a factor is health, and that applies to all age groups. For example: A man in his 40's who has been in this activity for 20 years knows what condition he needs to be in to complete a season whereas a man in his 20's with only a few years experience really knows nothing (with some exceptions of course) and is more likely to eat poorly and not exercise enough during the week between rehearsals.

Remember- its not like a DCI World Class Corps, that has been rehearsing every day for 2 months, is simply switching to DCA for a weekend. C2 will not have that type of conditioning since they will be a weekend only corps like the rest of DCA, ergo a slightly slower paced drill, ergo more rehearsal time dedicated to cleaning and fixing, ergo not as much stamina building, ergo they are on the same ground as everyone else.

Do yourself a favor- Pick a Saturday in May or June, grab your lawn chair, and head out to a Bucs, Cabs, or Hurcs rehearsal. Watch and learn how the big dogs do it. I will guarantee you'll learn something that day.

• Like 3

For starters, the average age of the larger DCA corps is around 23 rights now. The only corps that I can think of that has an average age of 30+, and this is only based on my observations from last year, is the Hurcs. They seem to have a slightly older average membership. And for what its worth, they seem to be competing quite well these days- only supporting the claim that age is not really a factor.

I can think of quite a few performers still marching in DCA today who are over the age of 40 and could run circles around anyone in Cadets2. Any that's more the rule, not the exception.

Are these two statements conflicting? Or am I reading them incorrectly?

all the size queens.....lol :tongue: C2 could have a total of 80 on the field and blow everyone away or have the max and not.

Will it be a decent quality.....I'm very sure it will be, Hop is not doing this for his health and not to be at the top of the game otherwise why do it. His reasons for this are most likely very different than most coprs either who have started up in A class or in OC.

As far as the OC of DCI what many are forgetting is he has NO INTEREST in OC of DCI and I believe has made that clear before. So there you have it.

FUNNY

MAkes me wonder if the internet exsisted back in the mid 80s when Bush was coming out would the world turn up side down....just a thought :smile:

many of us have said that about Hop and OC. But people read what they wantto read, and to many people it's"OMG, Hop is going to ruin DCA"

:rolleyes:

If you think that "Old Guys" have more pulsation in their sound and struggle to get a great sound, than I can only conclude you know nothing of today's DCA and have fallen victim to the stereotypes created by DCI staff and loyalists by ignorance.

Its not about the old guys sound. Its about the old guys visual.

Todays DCA is judged all about the visual. Brass only accounts for a very small part of the sheets. Its all about Visual Visual Visual.

It was pretty dramatic watching DCA morph into what it is today. I was really shocked at how out of place the over 30 marchers looked on the field this year. I mean there is a nice clean line of flat bellies and perfect posture and then some average looking guy that age is catching up to him stands out of place blowing the whole visual aspect of the show. It was clear with a couple of the corps that the old pharts were slowing down the pace of the show. They just could not keep up with the PHYSICAL stamina of today's shows.

DCA wants a more youthful DCA. They just need to go ahead and institute the age cap so they can get on with these high speed visual shows the judging community are giving credit too. Looks Like Cadets2 is setting the pace on this.

ITS TIME TO MOVE ON PEOPLE.

Say what you will, but I disagreed that DCA as an organization will ever institute an age cap.

Say what you will, but I disagreed that DCA as an organization will ever institute an age cap.

I don think they will really have too. The pace of the show is already sidelining a lot of vets. I think once Cadets2 ups the ante this year that will take care of itself.

This negative discussion of "old farts" and over 40's in drum corps is burning my butt a bit because it just propagates a lot of stereotypes about age - and at 63, I should know a thing or two about that. Just to inform you all, aging doesn't guarantee bad fitness or health. I have been marching competitively in DCA for 10 years now and performing a fair number of high tempo intense shows as a lead trumpet. No, I am not as fit as I was at 18, but I am as fit as many of the youngsters around me and march as well as many. My fitness level does not detract from the show. Furthermore, I know a bunch of over 40's who can march as well as the youngsters. Also, I can say there are plenty of young marchers with beer bellies that could use a little fitness boost. My point is not to be negative, but to ask you all to be careful about your stereotyping.

Doc

• Like 3

This negative discussion of "old farts" and over 40's in drum corps is burning my butt a bit because it just propagates a lot of stereotypes about age - and at 63, I should know a thing or two about that. Just to inform you all, aging doesn't guarantee bad fitness or health. I have been marching competitively in DCA for 10 years now and performing a fair number of high tempo intense shows as a lead trumpet. No, I am not as fit as I was at 18, but I am as fit as many of the youngsters around me and march as well as many. My fitness level does not detract from the show. Furthermore, I know a bunch of over 40's who can march as well as the youngsters. Also, I can say there are plenty of young marchers with beer bellies that could use a little fitness boost. My point is not to be negative, but to ask you all to be careful about your stereotyping.

Doc

*Applaudes*

THAT is ridiculous! Did you read the report on their camp numbers? NOBODY in DCA has that kind of turnout at their first camp. Win or not, they WILLLLLLLLLLLLL be in the top 5.

Because the younger kids are going to be in better physical shape and will be able to do more of a demanding drill design and have more physical endurance. Handicap my butt. Sure, the old guys in senior corps might be more experienced players (some even professionals) but that don't mean SQUAT when they have to MOVE and play. Old guys (even the best of them) will have more feet pulsation in the sound and struggle more to get a great sound. Sorry to break it to ya, but unless you are a 38 year old NFL athlete, the old guys in this activity will not hold up physically in comparison to the kids. Sorry to burst your bubble. There are not many truly athletic adults in DCA. Rather, it's mostly made up of old guys with beer guts trying to re-live their glory years. And hey, I aint knockin it. I PAY good momey to see it every year and even marched in a DCA corps myself once. But let's be real....those DCI age kids will march circles around the older DCA corps.

Again, check the camp attendance. The dues are obviously not a problem and infact, make it look all the more legit to an 18 year old - to say nothing of the fact that they actually ARE part of the Cadets.

As for your comment about C1 kids turning down an offer. If you are talking about alum who have aged out...DUHHH! It's not built as an all age corps anyway so why would they want to?

If you are talking about potential canidates for the current C1, just wait until the start making CUTS! The true "Cadet hand me downs" are still holding hopeful for C1. Once the cuts are made...THEN we will see what really happens. I'm certain that many who are cut will come running....just like they do in BDB and SCVC.

My response to you in short: You are DREEEEAAAAAMIN!!!

A couple points:

1) The "You are DREEEAMMIN" and "WILLL be" garbage, along with the "reliving glory years" (Dan Acheson, is this you?) are exhibits 1, 2 and 3 in support of John's (Kamarag) assertion that you are a troll.

2) Not DCA, but we had around 100 at our open house, and that was without most guard and many missing peeps.

3) One thing that I have not seen mentioned at all in the myriad C2 threads is this: Regarding any "advantage" that the corps will have due to youth, is there anywhere on DCA sheets that will really make that advantage pronounced? I am not trolling, I seriously don't know. C2 could come out with a show similar to a mid-range D1 or high-range OC corps and get hammered on DCA sheets, right?

Finally, lost in all this "they are going to win/finish top 3/whatever" balderdash is another point... with the DCA politics being what they (allegedly) are, does anyone REALLY think that C2 is going to come out in the Top 5 in their first year? Really? I have a feeling (totally my opinion, and mine only) that they could have the best show on the field and still not place top 5. Not really a slam on DCA, just a matter of dues needing to be paid and whatnot. Do I think it's right? Nope. Do I think it's realistic? Yep. Will people get their knickers in a twist because I mention it? Absolutely.

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum