Cadets2 question...

This.

This is what bugs me the most. All this attention for a corps that has had ONE rehearsal.

drumcorpsdrummerman2012, I will SLAP BET you that C2 won't win. I would do likewise to say they won't be top 5. No one is going to just roll into DCA and suddenly dominate. That is obsurd. They will be quality, no doubt. But win? Please. Their age cap is a HANDICAP, not and advantage. They are choosing to exclude themselves from more experienced, very talented people simply because of their age. How are they going to be superior by limiting themselves to 16-22 year olds and recent Cadet age out that HAPPEN to live on the east coast AND choose to join C2? I march with 2 former Cadets that have been asked to march C2 and have actually turned down the offer.

I've said it before, I would put my bassline from last year up against ANY other in DCA and quite a few in DCI just for grins given the oppritunity, and of the 5 of us only 2 would be elligible for Cadets 2 this season because of age. 2! Disadvantage: Cadets! Not to metnion I've heard through the grapevine their dues are in the $1500 range. Huge disadvatage to C2!

I, for one, applaud Cadets 2 in DCA. I think it is great for the Cadets, YEA!, DCA, DCI, and the plethora of C2 and C1(w/ C2 experience) age-outs that will be looking for another corps once they're out and decide to go to Hawthorne, or Bush, or Reading, or Empire, etc...

Slap bet is ON for the top 5. They will make top 5 easy. Probably closer to the top 3 but Ill take the top 5.

Has DCA received the Cadets2 "paid our dues check yet?"

Just wondering. :tongue:

Now this is about the 3rd time we have been through this. Page, after page, after page, of the SAME thngs, over and over. Come on DCP add them all in One and Close this.

The One and ONLY answer is: Cadets2 have every Right to start, and do, WHATEVER it wants to do, under DCA Rules. End of Subject.

They will be somewhere between: "the greatest thing that has ever happened to DCA - or - just another Corps added to DCA"

I am Not, and never have been a Big "Garfield Cadets, Cadets of Beg. Cnty., The Cadets fan. AHHHHHHH, but what a Great History all of that is. A History, MANY Corps, could only Dream of having. Now a new part of that History is to start.

Lets move on. Look what Should be a "Stand alone Post" about C2.

" about 100 attended,.............seems the guard won't be back till April,.............Battery had what seems like 30 - 40 applicants.............pit about a dozen,.............staff quotes include they want more brass and guard,...............", lost in all that other stufff.

To your first two sentences and middle comment..........couldn't agree more :worthy:

As to the future, I see the eventual creation of a new division called (what for it)............ "Senior Corps". IMHO C2 has to be good despite the "experience" factor, and will spawn copies. Perhaps other World Class DCI corps creating 'all age' corps, maybe to the detriment of current BD "B" type corps, who knows? The only thing for sure is that if too many corps with an age cap are successful (and this is certainly not guaranteed because of the financial aspects and all the other things mentioned in this thread)there will be a whole bunch of +25'rs who will get fed up with trying to keep up with the athleticism of these new corps.

And I know how it works. I last marched in 2006 at age 59 with some other "experienced" folk, and being in pretty good shape, once the season got going, so did my body & brain. Our show was not what anyone would consider easy either, but we did it. But I certainly don't think I could have done a DCI performance class show. If the demand level starts to rise, because judges reward the higher physical demand levels put out by "age capped" corps, you see where I'm going with this.

(hey! is this a new demograhpic we just invented?)

Still think its all good, though. Long live drum corps in whatever format!!!

JUNIOR DRUM CORPS

ALL AGE DRUM CORPS (Now defined as 25 or less or perhaps INTERMEDIATE DRUM CORPS)

CHAMPIONS (SENIOR) DRUM CORPS (Formerly All Age).

LOL........hey WWBD!!!!

drumcorpsdrummerman2012, I will SLAP BET you that C2 won't win. I would do likewise to say they won't be top 5.

THAT is ridiculous! Did you read the report on their camp numbers? NOBODY in DCA has that kind of turnout at their first camp. Win or not, they WILLLLLLLLLLLLL be in the top 5.

No one is going to just roll into DCA and suddenly dominate. That is obsurd. They will be quality, no doubt. But win? Please. Their age cap is a HANDICAP, not and advantage. They are choosing to exclude themselves from more experienced, very talented people simply because of their age. How are they going to be superior by limiting themselves to 16-22 year olds and recent Cadet age out that HAPPEN to live on the east coast AND choose to join C2?

Because the younger kids are going to be in better physical shape and will be able to do more of a demanding drill design and have more physical endurance. Handicap my butt. Sure, the old guys in senior corps might be more experienced players (some even professionals) but that don't mean SQUAT when they have to MOVE and play. Old guys (even the best of them) will have more feet pulsation in the sound and struggle more to get a great sound. Sorry to break it to ya, but unless you are a 38 year old NFL athlete, the old guys in this activity will not hold up physically in comparison to the kids. Sorry to burst your bubble. There are not many truly athletic adults in DCA. Rather, it's mostly made up of old guys with beer guts trying to re-live their glory years. And hey, I aint knockin it. I PAY good momey to see it every year and even marched in a DCA corps myself once. But let's be real....those DCI age kids will march circles around the older DCA corps.

Cadets that have been asked to march C2 and have actually turned down the offer.

I've said it before, I would put my bassline from last year up against ANY other in DCA and quite a few in DCI just for grins given the oppritunity, and of the 5 of us only 2 would be elligible for Cadets 2 this season because of age. 2! Disadvantage: Cadets! Not to metnion I've heard through the grapevine their dues are in the $1500 range. Huge disadvatage to C2!

I, for one, applaud Cadets 2 in DCA. I think it is great for the Cadets, YEA!, DCA, DCI, and the plethora of C2 and C1(w/ C2 experience) age-outs that will be looking for another corps once they're out and decide to go to Hawthorne, or Bush, or Reading, or Empire, etc...

Again, check the camp attendance. The dues are obviously not a problem and infact, make it look all the more legit to an 18 year old - to say nothing of the fact that they actually ARE part of the Cadets.

As for your comment about C1 kids turning down an offer. If you are talking about alum who have aged out...DUHHH! It's not built as an all age corps anyway so why would they want to?

If you are talking about potential canidates for the current C1, just wait until the start making CUTS! The true "Cadet hand me downs" are still holding hopeful for C1. Once the cuts are made...THEN we will see what really happens. I'm certain that many who are cut will come running....just like they do in BDB and SCVC.

My response to you in short: You are DREEEEAAAAAMIN!!!

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

ftfy

I agree that there's nothing to stop YEA from creating an all-age corps with no age-limits...

EXCEPT

it doesn't make any sense for their organization. Limiting the performer's age fits their "mission statement".

from their site:

Mission Statement

The mission of Youth Education in the Arts is to support the development of young people into magnificent human beings through participation in the performing arts.

So creating a corps for 40-something old guys doesn't make much sense for them.

Creating an outlet for weekend-only corps does.

As for the OP's question (why DCA) it bloody obvious. For a corps based in the Lehigh Valley, DCA provides a much better weekend-only schedule than DCI-Open. Lots of other reasons (many in this thread) but I suspect that this a primary one.

Yeah, I think I'm finally sold and in agreement for the most part. Though as I said in my last post above this one, I think the only problem is that C2 is going to be pulling sandbag on their competition. I don't think they will even be touchable.

• Like 1

Slap bet is ON for the top 5. They will make top 5 easy. Probably closer to the top 3 but Ill take the top 5.

IF they can fill the corps

and

IF they can pay their bills

and

IF they've gotten a quality instructional staff

THEN

the fun begins :-)

Dust of the 1983 book.

Write some new drill.

Write a much better guard book.

Throw in some sets from the old show.

WIN!

Repeat next year with your favorite Cadets show from the past 30 yrs.

Fans will love it. Even old fart fans.

Marchers will love it.

Judges will love it.

While C2 can't do recent C1 shows, they can certainly do 80's and early 90's C1 shows.

It's like an alumni corps only they can actually march and play the old shows.

They don't have to *keep* doing that but I'd sure do it for the first few years.

There's actually far more "it's unfair" hype here than "C2 is gonna win".

No doubt C2 faces some challenges. But I don't think the inexperience factor will be as difficult to overcome as you seem to suggest. HS MBs do amazing things every season with "inexperienced" performers.

Add in one of the best design teams in the business.

Shake well.

I don't KNOW what C2 will do competitively. IMO the big unknown here is the instructional staff.

Gonna be fun to watch what happens.

Thank you for bringing up the HS band point. As much as a few on here will want to hang me for saying this - take a road trip and visit BOA Grand National Finals. Put any BOA GN Finalist on the field at DCA and they would WIN!

Some people are just DREAMIN if they think C2 is going to "struggle". Just DREAMIN!

• Like 1

To your first two sentences and middle comment..........couldn't agree more :worthy:

As to the future, I see the eventual creation of a new division called (what for it)............ "Senior Corps". IMHO C2 has to be good despite the "experience" factor, and will spawn copies. Perhaps other World Class DCI corps creating 'all age' corps, maybe to the detriment of current BD "B" type corps, who knows?

THAT is the big dissapointment for me and why I've been such a grump over the DCA decision.I want to see them compete with BDB! It's their TRUE competition and we will never see a head to head. It bums me out. :(

• Like 1