Cadets2 question...

I don't disagree with you on what is and isn't considered a youth. But given DCI's approach and YEA's mission to youth, I cant imagine having 40 year olds fits into their philopsophy where maybe a 25 year old may. I dont pretend to know the ins and outs of the youth label and mission statements etc

Oh I agree with you as far as C2 is concerned. it just made me think of what does youth mean today. I think it could mean or should mean somthing very different than it did back in the stone age..lol

Oh I agree with you as far as C2 is concerned. it just made me think of what does youth mean today. I think it could mean or should mean somthing very different than it did back in the stone age..lol

Being in the middle of when my corps got REAL young in the mid 70s I have a few thoughts on the so called youth swing in DCA today. And I say "so called" because I have no idea if it's true or not. Just like I don't know if my thoughts are full of it or not....

Could be we're getting younger people in corps because they are more able to participate than more mature members. Face it, times are tough and if you're starting out in the job force or trying to hold on to the job you're not going to take a chance by putting DC above a paycheck. Had the same thing when I marched and lot of Sr corps fell by the wayside due to declining older members. Ones who accepted the youth stuck around longer.

As for the new DCA corps, who would be more apt to join up? Younger people already playing instruments in HS/ college or more mature people who haven't played in a while?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

and I'm tied to no corps. but the amount of freakingout about the Cadets, from the day it was formally announced, and even now with one camp is hysterical. Look it's 12/1/11. Every show looks like a winner on paper now. Everyone had ( hopefully) great turnouts at their first camps.

No DCA title has ever been won by the hype on DCP...and the funny thing is the C2 folks aren't doing any of the hyping! It's the freaking out by others not even tied to YEA that's doing it.

and what's better for YEA is, the more others keep freaking out aboutit, the more attention it gives them. I meanmy God, you'd think Bucs folded, Cabs lost a lot of bodies etc just because Cadets started a DCA corps!

I mean what next...younger members of MBI and the Renegades will fly in every week just so they can do it?

Until they've competed in a show, all we know is it could be great...or it could tank. That's all we'll know. I'd imagine they will be good, but some folks act hee like the rest of DCA should just quit already.

Who's doing the freaking though, not the actual corps, mainly those that think they are speaking for some corps.

Who's doing the freaking though, not the actual corps, mainly those that think they are speaking for some corps.

not even those speaking for corps.

it's mostly fans. Most corps say "hey ok, welcome, now get out of our way we got a job to do".

at least the smart ones are

I'd go with KCWolfPack that C2 is hurting recruiting by restricting the age. But since it is under the YEA umbrella ,...............(and some other stuff)

I believe this excuse is a red hearing, i.e. charter, insurance, 501cwhatever,....................this corps (or any other for that metter) could be whatever they want to be, they could form a new (seperate) non profit,............etc...........just like starting any other new corps would have to,..............

Jim, I think they had camp last weekend, didn't they? There should be some numbers already reportable (can you pass that popcorn please).

about 100 attended,.............seems the guard won't be back till April,.............Battery had what seems like 30 - 40 applicants.............pit about a dozen,.............staff quotes include they want more brass and guard,...............

Wow, another 8 pages of posts on a drum corps that has had one camp and noone in this thread is directly involved with. Lots of speculation here.

Why is everyone so upset that they have an age limit? Are you upset because you cannot march there or would you even march there if you could?

In my opinion, the sole reason that C2 was formed is to close the loop for the Cadets as a whole and to keep their cut members or people who decide they can't do C1 from going to other DCA corps and never going back to Cadets at all.

We have had plenty of them in Bucs and I am sure other corps have as well. This is the Cadets way of keeping everyone in-house.

The real issues are the exorbitant cost for a senior corps. That will be a big issue for many as well as the usual issues with recruiting. I know it would be for me.

Please become familiar with the hoops that a new corps in DCA has jump through in order to ever hit the field. They get a pretty serious review of their organization, finances, etc. and then they get to draw for shows, after all of the member corps and existing corps pick where they will perform. This does not set the stage very well for them to "rock the circuit."

I do not see any issue with them at all.

Not knowing the answer, I wonder how many of the cuts live local enough to be able to do weekend corps in the Northeast. Also wondering which pull is greater - wanting to do (any form of) Cadets or wanting to do DCI. With the wildcard of anyone who thinks being in C2 would help them make Cadets before the age out. Or would being in another DCI corps be more of a help.... :huh: (question without an answer)

LOL, bringing back memories of my second year of Drum Corps and not knowing the background of Rochester Phoenix (story got better the more I knew). Also my first year back and seeing "San Francisco, CA" on the screen at Scranton, and then seeing this huge ###ed corps on the field. :blink:

I like you. :) You actually like to THINK! ;)

• Like 1

and I'm tied to no corps. but the amount of freakingout about the Cadets, from the day it was formally announced, and even now with one camp is hysterical. Look it's 12/1/11. Every show looks like a winner on paper now. Everyone had ( hopefully) great turnouts at their first camps.

No DCA title has ever been won by the hype on DCP...and the funny thing is the C2 folks aren't doing any of the hyping! It's the freaking out by others not even tied to YEA that's doing it.

and what's better for YEA is, the more others keep freaking out aboutit, the more attention it gives them. I meanmy God, you'd think Bucs folded, Cabs lost a lot of bodies etc just because Cadets started a DCA corps!

I mean what next...younger members of MBI and the Renegades will fly in every week just so they can do it?

Until they've competed in a show, all we know is it could be great...or it could tank. That's all we'll know. I'd imagine they will be good, but some folks act hee like the rest of DCA should just quit already.

Well HEYYYY! Glad I can help the corps out by adding to the hype and "freak out". My check is in the mail, right? ;)

• Like 1

about 100 attended,.............seems the guard won't be back till April,.............Battery had what seems like 30 - 40 applicants.............pit about a dozen,.............staff quotes include they want more brass and guard,...............

That's a REALLY good turnout! Holy cow! A lot of LONG time DCA Finalist contending corps would KILL for those numbers at a first camp. WOW!

• Like 1