Cadets2 question...

Are you kidding me?

Every Cadets @ thread has gotten up to 10 pages of banter.

Do you really think that po dunk corps out of Bum Freak Calitnkyohtanka would generate this much attention?

Nope!

And the reason why is Cadets2 is not some farm town group that got together over a kitchen table and said "lets start a drum corps". We have no idea what we are doing but lets go for it.

The staff are seasoned professionals ready to show DCA some new stuff and probably change the face of DCA forever. So Yeah I think its got some corps scared.

Its a whole new ball game

Who are the posters that are making these threads 10+ pages long? Certainly, not the other DCA corps or it's members, that's for sure.

You have corps with 50+ and 60+ years of experience, this is not something new, the only thing new about it is we can Thank Al Gore and his internet to provide armchair directors with a keyboard to provide their opinions that don't know the difference between opinion and fact.

I am NOT dismissing Cadets2 and their potential, but I highly doubt the corps proper are "scared".

This isn't my first rodeo either.......................

I like you. :) You actually like to THINK! ;)

Thinking Drum Corps is a brain break from my usual mess of techie computer type stuff... :ph34r: Anyone know a good website for setting up security keys for sending files (aka - sftp) PM me.... :shutup:

And seriously, I've just been around long enough that a lot is remembering things and putting the pieces together. Nothing new under the sun more or less, we just now have the Internet to hear about and discuss it better..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I believe this excuse is a red hearing, i.e. charter, insurance, 501cwhatever,....................this corps (or any other for that metter) could be whatever they want to be, they could form a new (seperate) non profit,............etc...........just like starting any other new corps would have to,..............

Are you saying this could actually be a business decision more than anything else? :devil:

Ever see the Batman movies with Two-Face? (like Tommy Lee Jones version better) Picturing George with the coin saying "This side... DCI OC.... this side... DCA" and guess which the bad side represented. :cool:

Who are the posters that are making these threads 10+ pages long? Certainly, not the other DCA corps or it's members, that's for sure.

You have corps with 50+ and 60+ years of experience, this is not something new, the only thing new about it is we can Thank Al Gore and his internet to provide armchair directors with a keyboard to provide their opinions that don't know the difference between opinion and fact.

I am NOT dismissing Cadets2 and their potential, but I highly doubt the corps proper are "scared".

This isn't my first rodeo either.......................

ride em cowgirl

• Like 1

I believe this excuse is a red herring, i.e. charter, insurance, 501cwhatever,....................this corps (or any other for that metter) could be whatever they want to be, they could form a new (seperate) non profit,............etc...........just like starting any other new corps would have to,..............

ftfy

I agree that there's nothing to stop YEA from creating an all-age corps with no age-limits...

EXCEPT

it doesn't make any sense for their organization. Limiting the performer's age fits their "mission statement".

from their site:

Mission Statement

The mission of Youth Education in the Arts is to support the development of young people into magnificent human beings through participation in the performing arts.

So creating a corps for 40-something old guys doesn't make much sense for them.

Creating an outlet for weekend-only corps does.

As for the OP's question (why DCA) it bloody obvious. For a corps based in the Lehigh Valley, DCA provides a much better weekend-only schedule than DCI-Open. Lots of other reasons (many in this thread) but I suspect that this a primary one.

• Like 1

No DCA title has ever been won by the hype on DCP...and the funny thing is the C2 folks aren't doing any of the hyping! It's the freaking out by others not even tied to YEA that's doing it.

and what's better for YEA is, the more others keep freaking out aboutit, the more attention it gives them. I meanmy God, you'd think Bucs folded, Cabs lost a lot of bodies etc just because Cadets started a DCA corps!

This.

This is what bugs me the most. All this attention for a corps that has had ONE rehearsal.

drumcorpsdrummerman2012, I will SLAP BET you that C2 won't win. I would do likewise to say they won't be top 5. No one is going to just roll into DCA and suddenly dominate. That is obsurd. They will be quality, no doubt. But win? Please. Their age cap is a HANDICAP, not and advantage. They are choosing to exclude themselves from more experienced, very talented people simply because of their age. How are they going to be superior by limiting themselves to 16-22 year olds and recent Cadet age out that HAPPEN to live on the east coast AND choose to join C2? I march with 2 former Cadets that have been asked to march C2 and have actually turned down the offer.

I've said it before, I would put my bassline from last year up against ANY other in DCA and quite a few in DCI just for grins given the oppritunity, and of the 5 of us only 2 would be elligible for Cadets 2 this season because of age. 2! Disadvantage: Cadets! Not to metnion I've heard through the grapevine their dues are in the $1500 range. Huge disadvatage to C2!

I, for one, applaud Cadets 2 in DCA. I think it is great for the Cadets, YEA!, DCA, DCI, and the plethora of C2 and C1(w/ C2 experience) age-outs that will be looking for another corps once they're out and decide to go to Hawthorne, or Bush, or Reading, or Empire, etc...

This.

This is what bugs me the most. All this attention for a corps that has had ONE rehearsal.

drumcorpsdrummerman2012, I will SLAP BET you that C2 won't win. I would do likewise to say they won't be top 5. No one is going to just roll into DCA and suddenly dominate. That is obsurd. They will be quality, no doubt. But win? Please. Their age cap is a HANDICAP, not and advantage. They are choosing to exclude themselves from more experienced, very talented people simply because of their age. How are they going to be superior by limiting themselves to 16-22 year olds and recent Cadet age out that HAPPEN to live on the east coast AND choose to join C2? I march with 2 former Cadets that have been asked to march C2 and have actually turned down the offer.

I've said it before, I would put my bassline from last year up against ANY other in DCA and quite a few in DCI just for grins given the oppritunity, and of the 5 of us only 2 would be elligible for Cadets 2 this season because of age. 2! Disadvantage: Cadets! Not to metnion I've heard through the grapevine their dues are in the $1500 range. Huge disadvatage to C2!

I, for one, applaud Cadets 2 in DCA. I think it is great for the Cadets, YEA!, DCA, DCI, and the plethora of C2 and C1(w/ C2 experience) age-outs that will be looking for another corps once they're out and decide to go to Hawthorne, or Bush, or Reading, or Empire, etc...

Wow!

C2 might as well fold before they start ! So many disadvantages.

Wow!

C2 might as well fold before they start ! So many disadvantages.

So basically if you're not going to win, why try?

You misunderstood me. The hype is that they are going to blow away the competition "by no less than 4 points" in someone else's words. I am saying they are handicapping themselves too much for that to happen. NOT that they should just give up. They will likely develop a very high quality corps and begin to generate a whole new breed of high quality potential applicants for The Cadets in the future. But needless to say they will be starting with a younger, less experienced stock of talent. If they get good enough, can afford it, and so forth then they will probably end up in C1 and not C2.

Clearly, I never suggested they might as well fold before they start as I gave a laundry list of advantages for everyone. Cadets2 is a good thing. I am not a fan of YEA!, The Cadets, or George but this is a GOOD thing, IMHO. As a fellow competitor I am excited to see this new corps on the field next summer.

Edited by OldManDrumCorps

So basically if you're not going to win, why try?

You misunderstood me. The hype is that they are going to blow away the competition "by no less than 4 points" in someone else's words. I am saying they are handicapping themselves too much for that to happen. NOT that they should just give up. They will likely develop a very high quality corps and begin to generate a whole new breed of high quality potential applicants for The Cadets in the future. But needless to say they will be starting with a younger, less experienced stock of talent. If they get good enough, can afford it, and so forth then they will probably end up in C1 and not C2.

Clearly, I never suggested they might as well fold before they start as I gave a laundry list of advantages for everyone. Cadets2 is a good thing. I am not a fan of YEA!, The Cadets, or George but this is a GOOD thing, IMHO. As a fellow competitor I am excited to see this new corps on the field next summer.

There's actually far more "it's unfair" hype here than "C2 is gonna win".

No doubt C2 faces some challenges. But I don't think the inexperience factor will be as difficult to overcome as you seem to suggest. HS MBs do amazing things every season with "inexperienced" performers.

Add in one of the best design teams in the business.

Shake well.

I don't KNOW what C2 will do competitively. IMO the big unknown here is the instructional staff.

Gonna be fun to watch what happens.