Cadets2 question...

That and t has a lot of corps that are scared of the completion.

Really? I don't buy that at all. Where do you get this information from?

I'd go with KCWolfPack that C2 is hurting recruiting by restricting the age. But since it is under the YEA umbrella I could see why they would want to limit the age to be more geared to "youth". (Not to argue how what I just typed has a lot of holes in it.) Or maybe.... starting an All-Ager is enough of a change for YEA to handle for 2012, let alone opening up the age.

Speaking of which......

Waiting to see what numbers show up for C2 camps..... and how this might/might not affect the age range.

Pass the pocorn.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'd go with KCWolfPack that C2 is hurting recruiting by restricting the age. But since it is under the YEA umbrella I could see why they would want to limit the age to be more geared to "youth". (Not to argue how what I just typed has a lot of holes in it.) Or maybe.... starting an All-Ager is enough of a change for YEA to handle for 2012, let alone opening up the age.

Speaking of which......

Waiting to see what numbers show up for C2 camps..... and how this might/might not affect the age range.

Pass the pocorn.....

Jim, I think they had camp last weekend, didn't they? There should be some numbers already reportable (can you pass that popcorn please).

As for your thoughts about the age restriction hurting recruiting, I don't know. I think they WILL have a great deal of C1 cuts to fill the corps. It might take a couple of months for that to settle in though.

I guess for me, the age thing is part of what makes me scratch my head about their circuit choice. If they are going to restrict age to a DCI (or close to) limit, why compete in the all-aged circuit?

What I wish they would do since they HAVE chosen the DCA circuit is open it up. Imagine the loyalty they would create in their alumni to be able to finish where you started within the organization. You start in C2, then make C1 and stay there until you age out. THEN after aging out you come back to C2 and "supervet yourself til death do you part". Imagine the leadership C2 would have in about 6 years.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

I do not understand the reasoning that limiting your potential member pool to such a narrow age range is an advantage. To say that it is an advantage is to say that it is not possible for a 26+ year old to out play or out march a 25- year old.

I don't believe their intent on the age cap is to make their corps youthful for the pupose of being able to handle difficult visual requirements. If it is their intent, that would be silly. IMO, it would be much smarter to allow all ages to audition and through the auditioning process...narrow down the applicants to those that they feel will be able to handle what they plan to do on the field, regardless of their age. If that ends up being 25 year olds and younger....so be it.

For whatever reason, they chose to restrict the age of the members (which they are perfectly free to do). I believe that gives them a disadvantage as they are selecting from a smaller pool of candidates that the other corps they are competing against.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that as a 41 year old, I'm pretty sure I could be a very capable member of that corps. However, they don't even want to see me. That's their choice. I'll march elsewhere. Life goes on.

part of the reason may be YEA's mission and philosophy. After all, what does the Y stand for in YEA?

Jim, I think they had camp last weekend, didn't they? There should be some numbers already reportable (can you pass that popcorn please).

As for your thoughts about the age restriction hurting recruiting, I don't know. I think they WILL have a great deal of C1 cuts to fill the corps. It might take a couple of months for that to settle in though.

Not knowing the answer, I wonder how many of the cuts live local enough to be able to do weekend corps in the Northeast. Also wondering which pull is greater - wanting to do (any form of) Cadets or wanting to do DCI. With the wildcard of anyone who thinks being in C2 would help them make Cadets before the age out. Or would being in another DCI corps be more of a help.... :huh: (question without an answer)

LOL, bringing back memories of my second year of Drum Corps and not knowing the background of Rochester Phoenix (story got better the more I knew). Also my first year back and seeing "San Francisco, CA" on the screen at Scranton, and then seeing this huge ###ed corps on the field. :blink:

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far either. Heck, someone was already willing to bet me over my prediction of C2 winning this season. :)

and I'm tied to no corps. but the amount of freakingout about the Cadets, from the day it was formally announced, and even now with one camp is hysterical. Look it's 12/1/11. Every show looks like a winner on paper now. Everyone had ( hopefully) great turnouts at their first camps.

No DCA title has ever been won by the hype on DCP...and the funny thing is the C2 folks aren't doing any of the hyping! It's the freaking out by others not even tied to YEA that's doing it.

and what's better for YEA is, the more others keep freaking out aboutit, the more attention it gives them. I meanmy God, you'd think Bucs folded, Cabs lost a lot of bodies etc just because Cadets started a DCA corps!

I mean what next...younger members of MBI and the Renegades will fly in every week just so they can do it?

Until they've competed in a show, all we know is it could be great...or it could tank. That's all we'll know. I'd imagine they will be good, but some folks act hee like the rest of DCA should just quit already.

• Like 1

I guess for me, the age thing is part of what makes me scratch my head about their circuit choice. If they are going to restrict age to a DCI (or close to) limit, why compete in the all-aged circuit?

What I wish they would do since they HAVE chosen the DCA circuit is open it up. Imagine the loyalty they would create in their alumni to be able to finish where you started within the organization. You start in C2, then make C1 and stay there until you age out. THEN after aging out you come back to C2 and "supervet yourself til death do you part". Imagine the leadership C2 would have in about 6 years.

Not necessarily on C1 cuts....because many of them may have flown in to try out. They aren't go into fly in for a DCA corps that is weekends only

• Like 1

part of the reason may be YEA's mission and philosophy. After all, what does the Y stand for in YEA?

Hi Jeff

I wonder about the whole youth thing today.I dont think most, especially in WC are youth anymore maybe. I also don't think youth means the same as it did when we were younger. Just a thought. Kind of the kids lable for DCI...what kids?..lol.....................Maybe DCI needs to re- look at what youth means and if youth is what they want to support maybe look to OC

Hi Jeff

I wonder about the whole youth thing today.I dont think most, especially in WC are youth anymore maybe. I also don't think youth means the same as it did when we were younger. Just a thought. Kind of the kids lable for DCI...what kids?..lol.....................Maybe DCI needs to re- look at what youth means and if youth is what they want to support maybe look to OC

I don't disagree with you on what is and isn't considered a youth. But given DCI's approach and YEA's mission to youth, I cant imagine having 40 year olds fits into their philopsophy where maybe a 25 year old may. I dont pretend to know the ins and outs of the youth label and mission statements etc