Restructuring Classes

I'm not sure about this... I like the idea of having more divisions in DCI like before, but its kinda like saying because the Troopers havn't made finals in years they are not to be in world class... I think they should be in my opinion... they are just a great corps.

They made finals 2 years ago...

Oh, I was talking more about the distinction between "World Class" groups and "Open Class" groups -- not the business side of the distinction, but rather the performance level. I'm perfectly fine limiting the number of WC groups to those groups who actually *are* world class.

For example, Pioneer is in the DCI World Class. They (and other groups in World Class) are not at a world class level of performance, though. In fact, there are high school bands that are better, performance-wise. What's wrong with making WC an exclusive group?

This is where I was coming from. Like it or not, there are some pretty clear tiers in WC right now, and I think separating these groups (and adjusting the judging scales accordingly) would allow for more corps to put on successful shows without having to program to the demands that the top 6 create.

Mike

Shouldn't the concept of classes be organic? If you can move up for stepping up the game, shouldn't you move down for not keeping on par?

I will play your game, and would be comfortable with something like this:

a) Top 25 from previous year compete in WC during the summer; non-top 25 from previous year, plus any new corps, compete in OC.

b) OC have their Finals on Wednesday of Championship week.

c) Top (whatever) from OC Finals then get to compete with WC on Thursday of that week.

d) Top 25 from Thursday then move to Friday and become the next years WC, while those who do not make it to Friday will be in the next years OC.

This is where I was coming from. Like it or not, there are some pretty clear tiers in WC right now, and I think separating these groups (and adjusting the judging scales accordingly) would allow for more corps to put on successful shows without having to program to the demands that the top 6 create.

Mike

More classes to create more winners? Well, if everyone is a winner, nobody is a winner. Also, nobody forces a corps to compete in the WC. Two classes are sufficient as long as the lower class accommodates the (minor/younger) corps and promotes the (major/mature) corps into the WC.

This was, as recently as 2009, part of the DCI mission statement:

"Drum Corps International is the promotional, educational, and service arm of the drum and bugle corps activity."

Is this no longer true?

well according to Daniel it's just about PROMOTING DRUM CORPS SHOWS

More classes to create more winners? Well, if everyone is a winner, nobody is a winner. Also, nobody forces a corps to compete in the WC. Two classes are sufficient as long as the lower class accommodates the (minor/younger) corps and promotes the (major/mature) corps into the WC.

The idea, based on WGI that has been floated here is more to level the playing field competitiely. The hang up is the business side

no issue....but you have to change the business model. It's quite clear some want OC to get nothing, some are ok with what they get now. If I am Pioneer, getting WC money, being "forced" into OC is a financial bloodbath. You have to have both sides of the house in order, and DCI for far too long only thought about the scores, not the business

Who wants Open Class to get "nothing?"

Who wants Open Class to get "nothing?"

well if you look at the current set up, they don't get much. if you follow the G7 proposal, they got less than not much.

Somewhere in this discussion I asked this question, but do not remember seeing an answer:

Dan, in your model in WC, I get the impression that less emphasis is placed on the competition. I could have surmised it from your comments about all corps performing at a closer level to one another.

Is the competitive angle of DC worth anything to the investors you envision funding the new org?

If competition stays important, are you going to change the sheets to better judge the corps playing on such a similarly entertaining and competitive level?