Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

According to SCV's facebook page, "Something Blue" is indeed Mackey's "Hymn to a Blue Hour".

From John Mackey's Facebook:

John Mackey

Santa Clara Vanguard has announced that their 2012 show will include my piece, Hymn to a Blue Hour. Hooray!

Hymn to a Blue Hour

ostimusic.com

just in case you wanted further confirmation.

• Like 2

Wow... What a beautiful piece. http://ostimusic.com/Hymn-media.html I think Gail would love it. I can picture him conducting it, which tells me it's a winner.

• Like 3

The THOUGHT of Hymn to a Blue Hour as arranged by JD Shaw is giving me shivers right now. So excited for this.

• Like 3

The THOUGHT of Hymn to a Blue Hour as arranged by JD Shaw is giving me shivers right now. So excited for this.

Amen to that! SCV will totally OWN this piece.

• Like 2

I cannot imagine anyone else playing this.

I cannot imagine anyone else playing this.

2011 Oregon Crusaders. So, technically speaking it could also be the something borrowed song. Still, I have downloaded it and listen to it every day. Congrats SCV. :worthy: :worthy:

Edited by ozarkbugler

Vanguard's my favorite corps, but I hope this isn't the actual rep. Honestly don't know what corps are seeing in this Mackey fellow. As for Mars and Jupiter . . . they're more than worn out, but SCV has done a great job in recent of years of offering different reinterpretations of pieces associated with other corps. I'd rather SCV bring some new music to the field, but I wouldn't mind seeing how the present The Planets.

Oh, if you want to play the "We know our show but we're not telling you!" game then it would be best not to announce it to a gym full of excited kids. And if "copyright issues" are preventing a public announcement then you definitely shouldn't announce to anyone, period, until those issues are cleared up.

I love how people keep talking about the idea of SCV doing the Planets as if it is "borrowed from other corps". Yes, Cavies did it twice but are you aware that SCV actually did it first? Go check out SCV's musical selections from 1980 on corpsreps.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 2

From John Mackey's Facebook:

John Mackey

Santa Clara Vanguard has announced that their 2012 show will include my piece, Hymn to a Blue Hour. Hooray!

Hymn to a Blue Hour

ostimusic.com

just in case you wanted further confirmation.

I think I'm going to really like this show! :thumbup: