Madison Scouts 2012

Finally, yesterday I was able to watch a practice and see the Scouts live. Some observatios --- They are making a lot of changes both musically and drill wise and the kids are working hard. Not as clean as we would like but that will come. The changes that are being made seem to help in the transitions in the show and it seems to flow better now. I still think that the section where they play "The way we were" drags and feel that they are losing momentum during that part of the show. But - what do I know. I have all the faith in the world in the staff and I'm sure they have a master plan that I don't entirely understand.

In the show, crowd reaction was very good for the Scouts,and a very nice standing ovation at the end of their perfotmance. The field was grass and was a little tall. I think that caused some problems for all the corps and could account for the scoring being a little lower than most of us expected. Though appreciative, the crowd didn't understand drum corps. Lots of marching band comments in the stands and when the announcer asked for a show of hands of the people attending their first drum corps show, it looked like about a third of the crowd raised their hands.

The person sitting next to me was attending his first show and just sat there staring while the corps performed - kind of like what the #### is going on. Overall, a pretty good show and an enjoyable evening.

Question can members wear transition glasses? When I marched with a different corps they woydnt let me and tomorrow I'm getting new ones. I plan to audition at Madison next year.

We had a couple guys wearing them when I was marching. I myself wore contacts because I can't stand not having the level of peripheral vision that contacts allow vs. my glasses.

Here's a little update about the Madison Scouts documentary that we are working on....

We were interviewed last week by Tim Hinton and Scout Alum John Bogenschutz for the Marching Roundtable podcast. Tom and I talk about our involvement with drum corps, marching with the Scouts in the mid 90's, how this project started, what it's been like working with the members and staff during the filming, the goals for the film and so much more. Take a listen to it HERE and share it with your friends. You can also find it in the iTunes store if you search "Marching Roundtable". It's episode #108 "Scouts Honor: Inside a Marching Brotherhood".

Thanks so much,

Mac Smith

• Like 2

Two consistent complaints people are expressing about Madison's show...A growing number are referring to the Scouts as the "Madisynth" Scouts because of what they're hearing as an "over done" sound emanating from the electronics...And the other consistent remark is that people are apparently having a hard time with the "re-framed mash-up" meshing. I'm thinking it's probably rather early in the grand scheme of things, and we're a ways off from seeing and hearing the end product. I haven't seen the show yet, but I'll finally get to see the Men live on the 19th in Austin/Round Rock, TX so I can come to my own conclusions. But, I'm curious what others impressions are that have seen the Scouts live, especially as of late.

Neither of those things are limited to Scouts, they're simply complying with the sheets du l'an...

Good for them! They'll use this year to get back to the top tier of corps and then once they're there they can do what they want!

I agree. They are in character. I have seen them many, many times and have never had a negative impression. Honestly, would Donnie VanDoren allow an attitude problem to permeate the performance of the Scouts in a show? Are we familiar with his expectations? The guard is busting their ### to get better just like everyone else.

Isn't Dinnie VanDoren their "horn guy", not their "guard guy"?

Just saying.... I studied under him for a while back in the day and he is great, but he's not the corps director.... satisfied.gif

Don't know if this has been addressed...or commented on...but is there any chance of the Scouts adding a red sash this year? And why the white at the end of the show? The visual scores are telling something...drill, I assume...and some technique? Color has to be some of the issue....like the uniform...just rather dull. Guard look is cool....except for the end of the show...just don't get that. I am sure there is some meaning to it...what, I don't know. Otherwise...love the show. Saw them per season in Franklin, IN...a real improvement overall....so surprised that they are placing where they are. To me they are way better than that.