Best Stadium to Perform in?

I'll give you my personal favorite from a fan's point of view; Columbus, OH, the soccer stadium for the Columbus Crew.

The grass field is manicured to within an inch of its life. It's like plush carpet, and the location is quiet so the performers don't have to compete with train noises or highway traffic noise. It is a mid-west crowd, so they are very knowledgeable and polite (ie no idiots yelling during the shows). All the corps get a nice hand, big and small. Bluecoats and Scouts traditionally get rabid vocal support and standing O's from the fans.

The venue is smaller in overall capacity and fully closed in on all sides, so it's very cozy and you don't lose the sound out of an open endzone. The fans are very close to the field. Because it is a fairly new stadium, all the seats are ultra-modern, clean, NOT CROWDED with plenty of leg room, and comfortable with arm rests and backs. The food is expensive but good, and I'm not sure but I think they sell beer.

Add in clean bathrooms, easy entry and exit to four-lane interstates, and we've got a real gem for performers and fans alike.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I have a Wisconsin trio.

Whitewater: A very good sounding stadium amidst a bucolic farmland setting of rolling hills.

The Ozaukee County Fair in Cedarburg: Performing amidst the screams from the carnival rides to the side of the stadium.

LaCrosse: A quaint, charming town.

• Like 1

I don't remember the stadium's name in Boston but it's where CYO was held every year in the 70's. I marched there for 4 years and always thought that the crowds were always the most appreciative of our drum corps activity. The stadium was a dump but loved the crowds.

Edited by Tupac

I'll give you my personal favorite from a fan's point of view; Columbus, OH, the soccer stadium for the Columbus Crew.

The grass field is manicured to within an inch of its life. It's like plush carpet, and the location is quiet so the performers don't have to compete with train noises or highway traffic noise. It is a mid-west crowd, so they are very knowledgeable and polite (ie no idiots yelling during the shows). All the corps get a nice hand, big and small. Bluecoats and Scouts traditionally get rabid vocal support and standing O's from the fans.

The venue is smaller in overall capacity and fully closed in on all sides, so it's very cozy and you don't lose the sound out of an open endzone. The fans are very close to the field. Because it is a fairly new stadium, all the seats are ultra-modern, clean, NOT CROWDED with plenty of leg room, and comfortable with arm rests and backs. The food is expensive but good, and I'm not sure but I think they sell beer.

Add in clean bathrooms, easy entry and exit to four-lane interstates, and we've got a real gem for performers and fans alike.

I'm with you, the Crew stadium is really nice. The warm-up areas weren't the best, having to deal with a bunch of hills and geese herds.... And last time I marched there, the fair was going on, so it was really busy. But the stadium itself is really amazing, great to perform in, really get close with the fans in the stands.

Camp Randall - Great stadium sight-lines

Don & Nona Williams Stadium (Menomonie, Wi)

EKU (Richmond, KY)

Floyd Stadium (MTSU)

UW-Whitewater

Edited by Toby

Three words: The Big House...

The top 7 (8 really) are by far above the rest...

1. Allentown, PA (Far and away #1, and the closest to my home too)

2. Gadsden, AL (SOOOOO upset it's not on the schedule yet this year...)

3. Salem, VA (Surf always finds a rehearsal day scheduled here every year, about a week or two before the show. Beautiful stadium)

4. Warrenton, VA (Not sure why I put it over the others, just a great atmosphere I guess)

5. West Chester, PA (The other "local" show for me, I had marched at both J. Birney and Farrell stadium in HS prior to marching with Surf)

6A and 6B. Lynn, MA and Quincy, MA (Again, awesome atmosphere, and many Surf members' favorite announcer outside of Mr. Crocker)

7. Indianapolis (Eh... it's Championships, and it's awesome to culminate the season in such a huge place)

CH Collins Athletic Complex - Denton, TX - great stadium, so close to the crowd you can see their faces

Berry Center - Houston,TX - amazing acoustics, beautiful stadium

J. Birney Crum Stadium - Allentown, PA - tradition, great crowd, great food, awesome atmosphere, amazing acoustics

Lawrence High School Stadium - Lawrence, MA (Lynn and Quincy are great shows as well)

- small stadiums with incredible crowds, the best announcer in DCI outside of Brandt Crocker and possibly Dan Potter

MTSU - Murfreesboro, TN - very excitable crowd, great stadium

Broken Arrow High School - Broken Arrow, OK - great stadium and high school crowd

Georgia Dome - Atlanta, GA - extremely loud and an awesome atmosphere

Probably forgot a few... Honorable Mentions: Salem, Orlando, Dubuque and Waukee (IA)

• Like 2