What's with all the hate for BD

Have seen some people say they are "tired" of seeing blue devils win but since 1983 the cadets have won more times that the blue devils. So what really gives?

Any particular reason you chose 1983 as your starting point to begin counting Devils victories? If you start from 1996, BD has won more. If you just looked at 2000 through 2006, the Cavies dominated. 1983 seems just as arbitrary as those examples.

Last I checked, BD still holds the record for DCI championships, as well as the most in recent years which may account for why people may be "tired" of them winning.

Any particular reason you chose 1983 as your starting point to begin counting Devils victories? If you start from 1996, BD has won more. If you just looked at 2000 through 2006, the Cavies dominated. 1983 seems just as arbitrary as those examples.

Last I checked, BD still holds the record for DCI championships, as well as the most in recent years which may account for why people may be "tired" of them winning.

Probably picked it because that was Garfield's The Cadets first championship. Made sense to me.

• Like 1

Probably picked it because that was Garfield's The Cadets first championship. Made sense to me.

I guess. Though I'm not sure what Cadets' first victory has to do with analyzing why people are tired of BD winning.

I guess. Though I'm not sure what Cadets' first victory has to do with analyzing why people are tired of BD winning.

Use it as a starting point....from 83 on, BD's won 9 times, Cadets 10.

I think the reason BD gets more grief for winning all the time isn't so much the winning record as they haven't placed lower than 5th since 1974....and THAT was a one year shot. Everyone else who's taken the ring has yo-yo'ed a lot.

BD's consistent placement rage simply gives the perception that they're always on top, when the competitive result show otherwise.

Always in the hunt? Most certainly. The corps to beat every year? An argument could be made for that as well.

• Like 1

<snip>

I think what really makes blue devils unique (and hard to understand if you weren't a part of the corps) is that you are allowed to be an individual in the corps and not controlled to being a "robot" of an organization. This mentality doesn't happen to many other places. Not saying that either is better or worse. Just different. When individuals are allowed to express themselves they don't always choose the best, or most professional way.... But this mentality does allow young people to feel like they matter to the organization and help them transition into adulthood. Also, it helps to put out a level of performance quality that is unmatched year in and year out.

See, ya lost me there. I hardly think that BD is the only organization that allows it's members to be individuals. Unless you've been in a corps that you think forces it's members to be a "robot" you wouldn't really know what their experience is. Just as you explain that folks who haven't marched in BD don't really understand what it's like to be a part of that organization.

Use it as a starting point....from 83 on, BD's won 9 times, Cadets 10.

I think the reason BD gets more grief for winning all the time isn't so much the winning record as they haven't placed lower than 5th since 1974....and THAT was a one year shot. Everyone else who's taken the ring has yo-yo'ed a lot.

BD's consistent placement rage simply gives the perception that they're always on top, when the competitive result show otherwise.

Always in the hunt? Most certainly. The corps to beat every year? An argument could be made for that as well.

I think the point was though, why the arbitrary starting point? A win-loss record, is a win-loss record.

As for placing above 5th place, it's not like Cadets, have spent a lot of time in 10nth place either....none of the The Cadevliers spend much time below 5th.

I think the point was though, why the arbitrary starting point? A win-loss record, is a win-loss record.

As for placing above 5th place, it's not like Cadets, have spent a lot of time in 10nth place either....none of the The Cadevliers spend much time below 5th.

No....but look at the placements starting with 83 (so both corps have the same # of years). Let's use the past winners still on the field (sorry Star and Kingsmen) and who have more than 2 wins (sorry Phantom and Madison...your placements for this discussion are just too painful to look at)

BD: 2, 2, 3, 1, 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 4, 4, (87-92 could be considered the "dark" years), 1, 3, 1, 1, 3, 1, 3, 2, 2, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2 BD only moves up or down 3 spots twice...all other moves are 1 or 2 spots.

Cadets: 1, 1, 1, 4, 1, 4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1, 4, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 5, 3, 5, 1 Cadets move up or down 3 or more spots 9 times.

Cavies: 9, 8, 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, 5, 4, 1, 4, 7, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 3, 3, 4, 2, 3 (pretty consistent once they hit 1986, except for a couple of drop offs)

SCV: 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 6, 4, 7, 7, 5, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 3, 8, 6, 5, 7, 5, 7, 6 (ouch....getting seasick after 1989)

Ave placement:

BD: 2.2

Cadets: 2.3

Cavies: 2.8

SCV: 4.3

BD and Cadets HAVE been on each other's heels for almost 3 decades now...Cavies only slightly behind. SCV's revolving staff door seems to have really hurt them.

• Like 1

Thank you for displaying my point for me :)

I was just trying to point out that BD isn't alone in tending to be in the top 5.

No....but look at the placements starting with 83 (so both corps have the same # of years). Let's use the past winners still on the field (sorry Star and Kingsmen) and who have more than 2 wins (sorry Phantom and Madison...your placements for this discussion are just too painful to look at)

BD: 2, 2, 3, 1, 4, 3, 4, 4, 5, 4, 4, (87-92 could be considered the "dark" years), 1, 3, 1, 1, 3, 1, 3, 2, 2, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2 BD only moves up or down 3 spots twice...all other moves are 1 or 2 spots.

Cadets: 1, 1, 1, 4, 1, 4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1, 4, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 5, 3, 5, 1 Cadets move up or down 3 or more spots 9 times.

Cavies: 9, 8, 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, 5, 4, 1, 4, 7, 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 3, 3, 4, 2, 3 (pretty consistent once they hit 1986, except for a couple of drop offs)

SCV: 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 6, 4, 7, 7, 5, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 4, 4, 5, 3, 8, 6, 5, 7, 5, 7, 6 (ouch....getting seasick after 1989)

Ave placement:

BD: 2.2

Cadets: 2.3

Cavies: 2.8

SCV: 4.3

BD and Cadets HAVE been on each other's heels for almost 3 decades now...Cavies only slightly behind. SCV's revolving staff door seems to have really hurt them.

Thank you for displaying my point for me :)

I was just trying to point out that BD isn't alone in tending to be in the top 5.

MY point was actually that BD's been fairly consistent in placement. Others have yo-yo'ed quote a bit from year to year.

MY point was actually that BD's been fairly consistent in placement. Others have yo-yo'ed quote a bit from year to year.

I understand that, but you're talking about a plunge down to 4th in the world. The averages at the bottom of your post make it pretty clear.

Sure folks like an underdog....but BD is hardly the only group not considered an underdog.