I Say... The Greatest Closer Ever Is...

79, 80, Spirit of Atlanta hands down. I am not being biased here.

RIGHT!

Really, I am NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Senior Corps ever have a great closer? I'm an ex Buccaneer so I'm going with Sylvia from 80 and 81. 81 Bucs still one of most talented horn lines I've ever had the honor to be associated with. Did n't march that year with Bucs ( Sunrisers in 81) but most of the 81 hornline marched in 84 when I joined.

OscarBuc

Did Senior Corps ever have a great closer?

I'm sure they did in the Senior Corps forums. :P

Did Senior Corps ever have a great closer? I'm an ex Buccaneer so I'm going with Sylvia from 80 and 81. 81 Bucs still one of most talented horn lines I've ever had the honor to be associated with. Did n't march that year with Bucs ( Sunrisers in 81) but most of the 81 hornline marched in 84 when I joined.

OscarBuc

I love the 87 version of Sylvia....George just sent his mace into orbit on his tosses!

I love how a very slight change in a 3 note decending line (in the baris/contras (7 bars from the end) from a major chord in teh orchestral version to a minor in the corps version completely changes the emotional content of the piece...

Did Senior Corps ever have a great closer? I'm an ex Buccaneer so I'm going with Sylvia from 80 and 81. 81 Bucs still one of most talented horn lines I've ever had the honor to be associated with.

Agreed. Had I continued my corps career out of junior corps, I would have wanted to march Reading in 1980. I had always thought they were awesome since 1972. Dang! At least I'd have one ring!

Rocketman

ampssuck

I'm gonna have to side with the "old school" types and narrow it down to three favs

with the idea being that this closer was played for mucho years and therefore becomes:

Danny Boy--27th Lancers

Auld Lang Syne--Kilts

Somewhere/Somewhere Over the Rainbow--Cavies

Honorable mention to You'll Never Walk Alone--Madison Scouts

Thanks to those who voted for '81 Softly As I Leave You--any guesses to how many guard members got stepped on when that step-over got put in at the end of the year??

Did senior corps every have a great closer?

This thread is getting pretty long but if you look back several pages you'll see my note about Lt. Norman Prince - The Princemen - from Malden Mass.

For many years their closer and "theme song" was Some Day My Prince Will Come. We're talking back in the 60s when corps used to turn to the end of the field and play going away from the crowd. Usually they would get half way through the song and the one minute warning gun would go off just before the first horn players crossed the finish line. If I heard this closer twenty times I'm sure I cried 20 times. It was beautiful. To me the only other closers that ever came anywhere close were Auld Lang Syne by Kilties and San Francisco by the Toronto Optimists.

In the late 60's and early 70's a corps from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada,

the Cadets LaSalle, had a soloist, I believe his name was Jean LeBlanc,

would end the show with a least a 20 second solo that would have the crowd on their feet before he finished. Back then corps ended their show with a closing fanfare or something. It was spine chilling, it had the hair on the back of my neck standing up, it was just great soprano playing. I loved it. Too bad I

only saw him once. Boy could he whail. It was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!