DCI CD's no longer available?

I'd love access to non finalist shows. that'd be the thing that got me downloading

Here here!

• Like 1

I'll jump on that bandwagon (corpswagon?)!

I believe DCI has the Kobald recordings in a closet somewhere. We should demand they release them!

and they can demand we pay for the licensing.

And therein lies the dilemma.

I remember BITD that corps were supposed to get appropriate permission from composers, but I also doubt we paid Mangione for the rights to "El Gato Triste". Not to mention Orff & "Carmina Burana"

Can we currently get '76 Oakland Crusaders or '75 Kilties? Also:

That is a hope shared by many within DCI. It would require a lot of licensing issues that go beyond the initial licensing at the time of the prior seasons. I can't promise anything, but don't give up hope.

So if 2 corps played the same music (let's use Bridgemen and Royal Crusaders, who both played music from 'A Chorus Line') and one made finals and the other didn't, even though both performances have been sold in the past (on LP) you can't buy them now? If that's true, where's the difference, other than one corps made finals and one didn't?

So if 2 corps played the same music (let's use Bridgemen and Royal Crusaders, who both played music from 'A Chorus Line') and one made finals and the other didn't, even though both performances have been sold in the past (on LP) you can't buy them now? If that's true, where's the difference, other than one corps made finals and one didn't?

The difference, as I understand it, (which doesn't mean it's the absolute word...as I'm learning new things all the time), is that the permissions requests have already been submitted for the finalist corps for recordings already available, whereas the process would have to start anew for all the other corps. Rights holders are paid for each corps performing their music.

It can be done, but it's laborious and time-consuming process to go back every year to a multitude of shows and get the permissions. In addition, DCI has to keep track of every CD and DVD produced and this will add another layer of accounting responsibility.

Some day, I hope it does happen. DCI wants to make everything available that is desired by the fans.

My pipe dream:

DCI releases ALL older videos including the semis/prelims high cams from the late 70's to mid 80's, ALL the Video Express high cam and multicam quarters and semis years from 1988 to 1994, all the Ken Kobold audio recordings, and all the non-finalist corps audio recordings from 1974 to 2004. Oh, and heck, thrown in a new release on 180gram LP - complete set of champs from 1972 to present for all the audiophiles of the DCI world. :)

Too bad the licensing fees alone make this all impossible.

leed17

And therein lies the dilemma.

I remember BITD that corps were supposed to get appropriate permission from composers, but I also doubt we paid Mangione for the rights to "El Gato Triste". Not to mention Orff & "Carmina Burana"

they may have...but the rules have changed a lot since then. there's the real dilemma

Oh, and heck, thrown in a new release on 180gram LP - complete set of champs from 1972 to present for all the audiophiles of the DCI world.

^Sign me up! :music:

Ya know what's nice? The human capacity for memory. Some of my most beloved musical memories of drum corps are stored in MY brain, (small though it may be) and all I have to do is call up 1974 SCV and start singing Die Gotterdamerung in my head, to myself, followed by A Young Person's Guide, etc. Or Madison's Slaughter on 10th Ave. And it's free!!! I don't have to pay any stinking fees to anyone!

And while I can't remember every show I ever heard, I have enough stored in my upstairs closet to keep me occupied for a long, long time. :thumbup: