Most Under Rated Shows Of All Time...

How about the 1974 Purple Lancers?

Maybe it's not underrated, just non-rated.

I don't remember the drill and visuals much, and I'm not a drumline expert, but I've recently listened to the show again a few times. Way ahead of its time. The opener itself (Divergents) sounds like the wind ensemble-style shows prevalent among the top 12 corps in the 90's. Concert (sorry for the old-school term - La Fiesta Mexicana) is also well-written and well-performed. There's a variety in the selections similar to what the current Cadets seem to be trying to pull off.

I wish there was a video available somewhere, to go along with the Kingsmen and Muchachos from that year (also mentioned a lot in this thread).

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - have you ever "seen" the camera coverage from 1983 ? (even 1984) it is a disgrace..you see malletts hiting keys, bells of horns, the inside of the bell during 1812..

Ahh, yes. You are correct sir! Very good point. The first DVDs I ordered were 84 and 87. For some reason I thought that the DVDs offered both multi cam and high angle, and was SEVERELY dissappointed to see that they were multi only. Oh well.

You are right about the camera work in 84. Watch Suncoast's closer, you would never know that during the huge closer push, all the way through the tag ending, they are doing a pretty darn cool flag effect on the field, b/c the #### camera man does a tight shot of the color guard presenting arms, followed by the drum major, followed by a zoom in on the flag and night sky. Irks me to this day.

I stand corrected.

I dont think its underrated at all. The show is always mentioned, was highly competitive and exposed.......respected, remembered, and referenced all the time....that does not an underrated show make !! :rolleyes:

It was the talk of the drum corps world during its performance years

~G~

Underrated in terms of Judging!

Edited by phantombari

I dig the 76 Oakland Crusaders. But, Phantom's Spartucus? That show made me choose to march in Madison in 82.

Purple Lancers were a gas but I can not remember if I liked 73 or 74 better. DId they not do the German National Anthem....one of those years? I think I remember them in finals at Ithaca.

I assume up top the Cavalier show phantombari is alluding to has something to do with clowns(R.I.P. Drum Corps Died 1971 , I remember the t shirts). Lets not forgat Alice or St Ritas "Perils OF Pauline" or Blue ROcks "Camptown races" and "Baby Elephant. "

Most underrated shows in my opinion:

1985 Madison - loved the guard

1989 Phantom - incredible horn line

1984 BD - simply "WOW"

1983 Knights - should have made finals

1985 Knights - Jesus Christ Superstar - awesome show from a smaller corps. It's amazing how a smaller corps can crank out a full hornline sound! Of course, I'm biased because I marched that show...

1988 Cavaliers - Firebird Suite, young corps - we worked our butts off to make it up to 5th place.

Under-Rated or... Under apreciated; A Historical Perspective:

* MOST * of the brass book of PERFORMED by Phantom Regiment over the last 25 years... Sure, many fans have expressed a sort of "conversion" to liking the any key thing, complimenting brass lines for their "wonderful" tone... But... PR cranked out a sound that was symphonic on G bugles.

I've read a lot of praise for 1974 in this chain so far... And I must agree! I find myself listeing to the recordings more often than any other... Of special significance to me though are the Blue Devils (Blue who from where???) and DeLa Salle. With the Dev's, you hear a rich and full brass line, foreshadowing the many titles to come. De La Salle's MUSIC was just so well arranged that year. Everything from the dramatic medley of Russian themes (equal if not superior to SCV's in the decade following) and the whimsical closer; an unique juxtaposition of "Shiek of Araby" and "Baccanale".

72 & 74 Anaheim Kingsmen... I could listen to those recordings from now until doomsday. Highly agressive brass line!

And although the title went to Anaheim that season, the Blue Stars kicked all forms of brass that year as well.

Troopers 1972 closer (American Salute?) produced some WICKED backfield sounds and Argonne Rebels... those kids had to have had three "lungs" at least!

Since I wasn't born until well after many of these "historical" moments, I should present the performances from my lifetime that I recall as underrated as well:

Bluecoats. A very tasteful highly musical presentation of some classic rock. Nice!

Southwind... as a div. 2 corps (and d 2 champs!) performing music from Robin Hood... a mid-voice player's dream! Should have seen a semifinals appearance... at least.

Colts. I expected a lot more people to come forward with praise for this show... What a way to enter finals! Iowa's Four Seasons: Great soloists and probably the ONLY show that actually ENTERTAINED the fans in Jackson! (aside from Madison, of course)

Also really enjoyed X-Men that season too... sweet afro-cubano percussion feat.

1995 Magic of Orlando... The Animals show, wherein the show plot "evolved" from the sea, to the land, to the air... accomanied by the music of (who else?) Robert W. Smith. If for some reason you are unfamiliar with it, the show is an eclectic blend of symphonic voicing and driving ethnic percussion, with a fair helping of jazz thrown in for good measure. The show totally ROCKED! Of especial interest is the drum feature, wherein the line shouts, "what - the..." and thankfully keeps the show well within the bounds of "family-orientation" by leaving the rest to your imagination!

Also, Toledo's Glassmen had a wonderful and highly entertaining show with reworkings of traditional hymns with an in-your-face brass line. This should have been their first year in the top 6, in my humble opinion.

I was marching with a national contender in 1996. My opinions of the top corps in d.1 are extremely biased... Didn't have much time to check 'em out either, going on last as defending champ and all ;)

However... Carolina Crown sticks out in my mind as unique and underrated. Performance issues were evidenent throughout, but the idea and complexity of the show deserve praise.

1997 Phantom Regiment. The Ring. The brass. One flag. PHANTASTIC drill (for a historically brass-oriented corps)

1998 Spirit... Dear Diary, Ooooohhhhh YEAH! Saw them once at Mich. City, IN... Have since been attempting to collect all my hair and put my facial features back in their original place.

The Phantom Legion/PR Cadets were cooking in Div 3 at this time as well. The Mandarins just seemed to have a better relationship with DCI though. Legion was, in my honest opinion robbed in '98.

1999... I liked Southwind again this year! It wasn't the same, but it was awesome to see them back and in a totally new uni. Loved their musical selections and they attempted some pretty spiffy drill!

And who could forget Madison that year? Probably the last truly excellent package they put out... until this season... Once again, I find myself talking about a show I expected more people to cite as underrated.

Also... this was the year I became enamored with colorguard, namely, Crown and Boston's. The East Coast is a guard breeding ground!

I was busy marching again in 2000 and 2001. I caught a few perfromances here and there, but nothing really sticks out in my mind as underrated.

2002 Phantom Regiment got shafted. THAT was a top-shelf corps! They are in the hunt right now for that title they so richly deserve!

This season, I was gonna say Blue Stars until tonight's results came in. Capital Sound has a GREAT guard this year and the horns are very musical, esp. the baritones. Wisconsin drum corps is back this year! in Div 1... I don't understand why Glassmen are seeded so low. The have put out yet another well designed show that is both entertaining and intellectually captivating.

Edited by euphonium96

And, as an added trivia contest, does anyone know what transpired at the 1989 retreat regarding Suncoast and Spirit?

<<Hint>> Spirit did NOT make finals in 89.

Suncoast formed a delta with their horns on the field during retreat.

Very classy.

Now that was Class!! Like something Spirit would do, or Crossmen. You gotta love a class corps.

Euophonium96 wrote:

<<<<<1997 Phantom Regiment. The Ring. The brass. One flag. PHANTASTIC drill (for a historically brass-oriented corps)>>>>>

In the late seventies and early eighties...actually throughout their history, Phantom has been known for, identified by, awarded for and praised for their drill and visual aspect...even more so than their brass offerings. Aside from their 89 High brass trophy, their most successful caption has been M &M and visual.

~G~

i wouldnt say the most because i havent seen many shows in the past.....but id say SCV 2001...anyone agree??