New judging system passes unanimously

Ain't THAT the truth! They could write to the sheets and come out with a show fans would eat up the likes of 82 or 86 and some would STILL #####!

Well, you can't please some of the people all of the time - or some such saying.

I for one can be pleased some of the time, so there are separate groups around. Let's not group a bunch of people to "that" group... tongue.gif

soccerguy - the hornlines aren't miced so there is no way to adjust their volume by turning a knob as you say. you still have to get all the mellos to play softer if they are too loud in a section.

right, but there are ways to adjust the 5000 marimbas with the turn of a knob.

if the corps is naturally out of balance, I accept that... it is much harder for me to accept being out of balance when the fix only requires the twist of a knob, especially when the instruments are louder than they are naturally and the only reason they are too loud is because of something outside of the performers control.

I had the exact same reaction. What is this crap?

I've always defended the more aesthetic elements of drum corps as things that the really great groups are able to pull off when the design and performance reach a certain level, but trying to quantify these incredibly high level ideas is a joke -- especially when half of the corps have ensemble problems in August.

We agree. Yet my post gets -2 while yours gets +1. You must have superior conceptual aural vision because obviously you can engage the audience with contour, communications skills and emotional commitment.

I, on the other hand, type in turds.

HH

• Like 6

all areas of " SUBJECTIVE".

what isn't in any form of judgement? Hell in law, they give you sentencing guidelines...you could only get 6 months. you could get 20 years. Depends on how the judge feels as to what you get.

Same thing here, even in the tick system.\

and I'll clarify the WGI world...in percussion it seems to work well. I avoid the guard world :tongue:

I dunno....WGI looks for some of those thingsand it works quite well there.

I know. And the same drivel has been working in drum corps for a generation.

The point is the exercise was intended to simplify and improve the judging process, to make it easier for everyone to understand what's being rewarded and why.

Let the corps with the best conceptual aural vision win. I got no problem with that. I just wish the established criteria were written in a way that we could understand. That would make it easier to justifying call the judges "stupid" next summer.

HH

• Like 1

I know. And the same drivel has been working in drum corps for a generation.

The point is the exercise was intended to simplify and improve the judging process, to make it easier for everyone to understand what's being rewarded and why.

Let the corps with the best conceptual aural vision win. I got no problem with that. I just wish the established criteria were written in a way that we could understand. That would make it easier to justifying call the judges "stupid" next summer.

HH

at this point and time, all we can all do is wait to see what educational materials come out. We've been promised they would, so we have to wait.

If they don't, then like you and many others, I'll call em out on it.

Trust me, you know I'm not one to defend DCI blindly....hell you have taken me to task for it!

Just another judging system I don't understand, so I'm cool with it.

• Like 3

at this point and time, all we can all do is wait to see what educational materials come out. We've been promised they would, so we have to wait.

If they don't, then like you and many others, I'll call em out on it.

Trust me, you know I'm not one to defend DCI blindly....hell you have taken me to task for it!

This demonstrates you have great conceptual aural vision... I think.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

We agree. Yet my post gets -2 while yours gets +1. You must have superior conceptual aural vision because obviously you can engage the audience with contour, communications skills and emotional commitment.

I, on the other hand, type in turds.

HH

I went to the DCP Aural Commitment Workshop this afternoon. Really helped me understand how to tie my thesis statement to the underlying sarcasm in a meaningful, yet accessible way. Also, I take pride in spelling things, although I suspect the new sheets may also de-incentivize proper spelling, as it is so "un-artistic."

Me and my DCI rings have so much to learn.