In the event of a major economic collapse...

That's what I mean. If DCI were to change their model (IE broadcast live, subject to blackout, on the internet?) they could keep up and survive. The question wasn't |would DCI survive as we know it?" It was "How would DCI cope in a worst case scenario econopocalypse?"

I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength on this. I'm a history buff and love to play the "what if?"/alternate Universe <$1 to Marvel Comics> mind exercise. Just pointing out the differences between the eras for those who might not know.

Hmm... even DCA did a pay-per-view live webcast of Prelims in 2011. We tried it as we couldn't drive to NY last year and really enjoyed it. Why not have that for regular season shows as a way to bring in $$$ and fans? At least until we work out that teleportation gizmo to save on gas and hotel expenses.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Hmm... even DCA did a pay-per-view live webcast of Prelims in 2011. We tried it as we couldn't drive to NY last year and really enjoyed it. Why not have that for regular season shows as a way to bring in $$ and fans? At least until we work out that teleportation gizmo to save on gas and hotel expenses.

I think many of us agree: as soon as DCI moves into the 21st century - as far as technology and fan involvement are concerned - it might actually start gaining market share. Can you imagine going to a friends house for a Finals party, the same way you go to a Super Bowl or March Madness party? Scary... wink.gif

I think many of us agree: as soon as DCI moves into the 21st century - as far as technology and fan involvement are concerned - it might actually start gaining market share. Can you imagine going to a friends house for a Finals party, the same way you go to a Super Bowl or March Madness party? Scary... wink.gif

there were several finals parties when PBS was doing this.....way to small a market for profits...as many said before we are a very small niche and i dont think its because of exposure I think the general public , no matter how good they see us still says...HS band

there were several finals parties when PBS was doing this.....way to small a market for profits...as many said before we are a very small niche and i dont think its because of exposure I think the general public , no matter how good they see us still says...HS band

No idea of the costs involved in webcasts. But if audiences in the stadiums go down and theater costs/benefits go to pot in a collapse, webcasts might be a good way to retain or garner new interest. I walked away from following DC for 10 years and, coming from experience, after the first season of no DC you really don't miss it. I only came back due to a few co-incidences and I'm one of the FEW people who came back after leaving. IOW - we have to worry about losing current fans along with looking for new ones.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks for the pseudo-history lesson, but lets be more specific when going for condescension: radio and popular film thrived during the great depression. I'm sure you remember that radio in the 1930's was essentially what TV is today (with drama, comedy, talk, and news programs). The music industry, I'm sure you'll recall, was decimated by The Great Depression, and almost completely collapsed. In fact, you know what was a popular alternative to fossil fuel when it came time to keeping warm? BURNING records/phonographs! The majority of record companies went out of business during the Great Depression (the ones that survived mostly stopped production of records and produced radios and radio programs).

Millions of Americans did, however, enjoy listening to music. For free.

This of course led to the birth of jazz in America, even if it did take half a decade to take a hold in the culture with many of the US's large 'markets' (New York, Chicago, etc) embracing the music. It literally took the birth of new technology (FM radio, which was able to reach a far larger audience than previously) AND a new art form/expression of music to break through during the middle of the Depression; and even then very few musicians made money/broke even as performers. I'm sure you're not implying that drum corps has any sort of impact on modern society as the invention of FM radio & jazz!

And even if all you say here is correct....competitive drum corps continued uninterrupted throughout the Depression....bigger than ever, in fact, if judging by the size of the national championship contests.

there were several finals parties when PBS was doing this.....

Very true; the atmosphere of being at someone's house in a party environment, instead attending an event at a movie theater, is a dynamic that I really miss. And with the advent of home theater technology, where the technical experience of wide-screen HD along with surround sound can occur in your home, the party would be that much more enhanced.

And even if all you say here is correct....competitive drum corps continued uninterrupted throughout the Depression....bigger than ever, in fact, if judging by the size of the national championship contests.

yes it did flourish during those times...fact is , its not those times now...NOTHING is even remotly the same, the kid, the support, the costs, the community..NOTHING..

• Like 1

Following not directed at audiodb, just a general comment...

Maybe corps should run Championships at the same time and place as a major convention of some sort. (Kind of joking.) Translation: the AL and VFW Championships were part of the National Convention. Notice I didn't say the National Convention was part of the DC show. :tongue: Too bad we don't know the percentage of audience members who were not there for the cenvention.

If anyone wants to get an idea of DC between the World Wars, may I suggest the "Boys of 76" book. Corps went to almost all the AL convnetions, won a few, and was "huge" at 60+ members. Great info on what the corps had to do to perform during the Depression.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Let's face it... if there's a major economic collapse, we're all screwed. :w00t:

And then, if I could spend my summers in Bavaria and winters on a tropical island, I'd be happy. :tongue:

Drum corps, and anything besides having enough food, water and shelter will be WAY down on anyone's priorities during a complete global meltdown. I suggest investing in food storage, gold and silver, and the most important precious metal, LEAD. :ph34r: