• 1994 - Blue Devils
    • 1995 - Cavaliers
    • 1996 - Blue Devils
    • 1997 - Blue Devils
    • 1998 - Santa Clara Vanguard
    • 1999 - Cavaliers

98 SCV

• Like 1

This one is toooough. I went with 94 Blue Devils - especially from the year before, '94 was the equivalent of the line going from laid back to pushing forward.

Mike

Absolutely. The turn around from the year before is astounding, especially when you consider there were a lot of '93 vets in the '94 line.

I definitely would have to say 98 vanguard. BEATS.

This one's a tough one for me. Out of all of the 'best of' type threads, this is the sub-caption & era that I am the most familiar with. I saw almost all of these percussion sections live Cadets 90 is the only one I didn't see in person): almost all of them on practice fields, warm-up lots, and finals. Every percussion section on this list is obviously incredibly talented, had great quality of sound, and an outstanding book, and narrowing it down to a "best" is difficult!

That all being said, I would have to give it to the popular, cliched choice of Star 93. That battery had a quality of sound that I still have never heard matched, and the way the percussion writing perfectly complimented the brass book (while keeping the minimalist design cohesive throughout) is brilliant. Star 93 doesn't have a flashy display of chops, or even a book that draws attention to itself. But the musicality of the book and the way the percussion book perfectly fits with the brass book and the mood of the ensemble production ON TOP OF the impeccably perfect approach and execution from the members puts Star 93 a little bit above the rest of the pack.

I agree with you that 98 Vanguard was an incredibly talented section. 98 was my age-out year (in another corps), and I saw a lot of SCV that summer, and got to hang out with a lot of their drum line members after shows and on free days (there are stories from the Montreal free-day that are fairly legendary to those who were there :tongue: ). While i think Cavaliers 98 percussion section was equally talented, I will always have a fondness for the SCV 98 percussion section and I LOVE the book! I'd put them as 2nd on my Best Percussion Caption of the 90's list with a 3rd place tie going to Cavaliers 92 & 95 (and probably BD 94 rounding out the Top 5)

**This has been discussed before, but SCV also won the Drum Trophy for 1991.**

My 90's DCI Highlights

SCV 91 made their title dramatic with accellarando end of their book, capped with the helicopter effects.

Star 93 - What can you say, what SCV was trying to pull off in 84, Star made it happen in 93. Just listen to the judge's tape

BD 94 - Was a game changer, body movement aka Monkey Drumming which every High School Drumline mimicked that fall, set the stage for BD dominance in the 90's

Cavies 95 - Just clean and well executed book. Well played

SCV 98 - The judges tape says it all, musicality and execution at its peak. Beautifully written.

My Top 10

1. Star 93
  2. SCV 98
  3. BD 94
  4. Cavies 95
  5. Cadets 90
  6. SCV 91/Cavies 91
  7. BD 97
  8. Cavies 92
  9. BD 96
  10. Cavies 99

**This has been discussed before, but SCV also won the Drum Trophy for 1991.**

My 90's DCI Highlights

SCV 91 made their title dramatic with accellarando end of their book, capped with the helicopter effects.

Totally forgot SCV 91, even though it's one of my favorite books :doh:

I think that book (battery and pit) was notey, musical, and total game changing. I think one could argue that there have been few big innovations in marching percussion arranging since 1991 that have been as significant.

come on this is easy.... 93...