• 1992 - Cavaliers
    • 1993 - Star of Indiana
    • 1994 - Blue Devils
    • 1995 - Cavaliers
    • 1996 - Blue Devils
    • 1997 - Blue Devils
    • 1998 - Santa Clara Vanguard
    • 1999 - Cavaliers

Please add STAR to 1991. Although Cavies and SCV were announced as co-drum winners, there was a mistake made. Star also scored 19.3. (There was no averaging or anything like that back then.)

I voted for SCV 98 for one reason: to knock off Star 1993. That corps seems to carry the same weight as "Citizen Kane" does for the AFI as the best film ever made. It's very good, but is it really the best film??? It's hardly as interesting as other worthy films. Same with Star. I remember 1993 very vividly. Cadets drums were hot and on fire championship week (winning drums on Thurs and Fri). They ticked finals night and lost the trophy. Star was NOT well-received all season. DCI North in Buffalo? Golf claps when they won (decisively). DATR? Cadets finally got them. The crowd was CRAZY! When the Cadets won DCI, the roar from that crowd was off the charts, too. Star's "F.U." to the fans for the screaming and pounding on backs when they fell to 3rd in 1992 (to one of the dirtiest Cadet shows since the 70s) backfired on them, so they took their ball and went home. Hey, thanks for Blast! though. Great stuff!

PS: Nothing against Indy. "Roman Festivals" is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on a football field. I just think 1993 is overrated.

• Like 1

I agree with you that 93 Star is (slightly) overrated, but your perception of Star is not correct. Bill Cook, Jim Mason, and company had decided before the DCI Championships (heck, before the 1993 season even began IIRC) that it would be Star's last season in DCI and they would be touring with the Canadian Brass in 1994. I believe they signed a letter of intent with CB at the start of the season, although they didn't make the official announcement until September. So no, 1993 was not an "FU" to the fans, nor was it Star taking their ball and going home. The creative staff felt they had reached the limits of what DCI could offer at that time, and wanted to go out in a blaze of glory trying something very different.

As to the poll: real tough call for me between 92, 94 and 98. I went with 1994. Why? The monkey-sticking at the end of Day Danse. Still amazing to this day. Such intensity in that show. There's a reason I considered it the top DCI show for 14 years.

• Like 1

I find this odd: Star wins DCI in 1991 for a very good show still considered today to be rather mainstream. It was just the Rich Guys winning that bugged so darned many people (we're seeing the same incessant whining from Occupy, Rape and Steal Wherever the Wind Blows today). So, the next year, the staff tries to warm up to the fans by waving a few American Flags around. "Why won't you love us?" The fans mocked them by roarrrrring their approval for the Cavies. 1993 was indeed the biggest and very best FU ever designed by a drum corps. And if not for the DCI tag ending in the "Dance of Vengeance," they wouldn't have had an applause point. State of the Art? Yes. Did it change drum corps? No. If indeed 1993 was planned to be Star's last year on the football field, what a great way to go out. On THEIR terms. For that, I sincerely applaud them. :)

• Like 2

For many, many years I felt the Cadets tenor break early in their '93 show (if you know the show, you know which one I mean) was the greatest tenor drumming I'd ever seen.

(I recently found a transcription of the break and discovered, to my astonishment, that it's deceptively straightforward. Of course, I've also had 20 years of banging along with it for practice.) It's still one of my favorites.

Mike

I went 1997 BD. Underrated show all around. Best "quiet ending" ever in drum corps.

I know its hard and sometimes laughable to call a championship show underrated, but still. I feel like there is a lot of underrated drum corps from the mid-late 1990s.

• Like 3