Distracting Judges

There are a couple of flaws in your argument that lead me to believe that maybe you don't know exactly why the judges are on the field in the first place. Typically, the field judges are down there for individual execution. They are looking for uniformity of approach, blend from player to player, intonation etc. A lot of that is very difficult to judge from up top because many of the parts aren't exposed enough through the entire ensemble to be absolutely sure. I'm sorry, but you can't accurately judge the Cadets and the Blue Devils brass lines against each other for execution from all the way up in the box. Again, these guys are not looking for big picture. That's what your effect judges are for. Obviously the big picture is what's important to the crowd for the most part, but there are execution factors to the sheets for a reason.

So no, drum judges, brass judges, individual marching judges, etc could not do their jobs without getting an up close comparison from player to player. They use their ears AND eyes in their job because that IS their job.

The field judges can be gone IF we as an activity have got beyond the small stuff and only want to focus on the bigger pictures and sounds...If you really look at alot of field judges these days they cover alot less field than they used to and with new design concepts makes it even harder to judge.

As far as judging drums.. I am not a drummer BUT I did wonder with Cadets split concept how on earth was that judged by a drum judge who usually try to hover over that line...lol

The front sideline is always an option. DCI could (and should) adopt a policy prohibiting judges from going inside forms and becoming part of the show. You don't need to be three feet from the snare line to effectively judge what they are doing.

you wont get a good read there either, especially in the echo chambers.

3 feet? No, but sometimes you don't have room.

But trust me, with 150 bodies, 70 some brass, amps cranked to 10 and then a roof on the biggest stadiums of the year...you won't hear ####

Drum judges could easily do their jobs from a distance if they'd just judge less with their eyes, and start judging more with their ears.

nope. not even close.

The field judges can be gone IF we as an activity have got beyond the small stuff and only want to focus on the bigger pictures and sounds...If you really look at alot of field judges these days they cover alot less field than they used to and with new design concepts makes it even harder to judge.

As far as judging drums.. I am not a drummer BUT I did wonder with Cadets split concept how on earth was that judged by a drum judge who usually try to hover over that line...lol

Agreed, if our only priority is the big picture, sure, we could pull the field judges and do just fine, but a big part of the activity has always been the precision of it. Even BOA, which is much more big picture oriented than DCI, still has individual music judges on the field. If they take away the field judges, 1 of two things will happen. Either groups will stop attempting the level of detail that doesn't always get appreciated in the box, or they will stop trying to clean it since they won't get credit for it anyway.

The fact is, without an army of judges, the panel is going to miss a lot of stuff. The Cadets show is a good example of that. There's no way to catch everything, particularly with drill spreading the corps out as much as they do these days.

As for percussion judging, I've always thought that the system they used to have with a field judge and a box judge was the best way to go. Just as there are things you can't judge from the box, there are things you can't judge from the field too. Brass and visual are the same way. I'm the first to admit that my knowledge of guard is limited to a) stuff should typically go around together, and b) drops are bad. However, I would imagine that there would be similar stuff in the guard world.

Anyway, the way the sheets are written, there need to be judges on the field as well as in the box. To remove the field judges, we'd need pretty drastic sheet changes. Maybe that's what is on the new sheets everyone is talking about.

So no, drum judges, brass judges, individual marching judges, etc could not do their jobs without getting an up close comparison from player to player. They use their ears AND eyes in their job because that IS their job.

I've been marching, teaching, and judging for over 25 years. Judging, especially on the field, isn't the big mystery many people make it out to be.

• Like 2

with these huge oil cans they are playing in now why don't they just use a dart board?

Take it outside! Say no to Domes!!!

i agree ... tried football and drum corps indoors once each ... i prefer outdoors :)

• Like 1

1) Percussion judges are the worst for getting in the way.

2) do we REALLY need field judges on Finals night when DVD are being filmed??????

3) AND do judges REALLY need to be audio taped on Finals night?????? Doesn't matter to the staff what they have to say by then!

• Like 1

So we have two judges who have commented here with opposing viewpoints on whether they should judge on the field or not. which one of you is 'more correct' guys?

..I say two men enter, one man leaves....