The Edge - Today's the day

I watched "Dancing with the Stars" tonight, so I have no idea what happened. :tongue:

Other than seeing them (Dave Bruni and a few others) in a segment preview as they were walking through the "waiting room"......

Link to the still Joey posted on the group's FB wall...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150979440291779&set=o.235806229851374&type=1&ref=nf

The Edge's performance has not been aired as yet. The show promoted that they will be back to the NY try outs next week....

*edited to add link*

Edited by TennTux

Someone made a interesting observation over on FB that maybe it was Sterns early Radio days at Rochester. That he remembered Rochester didn't welcome him with open arms, and he holds a grudge, and the edge paid the price for that grudge. Discuss???
I highly doubt it. Look I know many here want some kind of evil conspiracy that kept the Edge from going to Vegas, but that option is right above Ufo and Kennedy conspiracies. Plus....you're forgetting, he's one of three votes, and the stuff about the producers. or, if someone really wants to go there, call 1-800-277-4653 ( you spell it out) tomorrow and ask Howard. really, this is getting a bit insipid <BR><BR><BR>correction, the phone number is 1-888-927-7465<BR><BR><BR>aka 1-888- ######## Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4

Would he actually hold an almost 20 year grudge? Or are we stretching the perimeters of logic now?

[snip] text too long for some browsers to handle [/snip]

Edited by JohnD
Sorry Jeff - your post was screwing up the page on a number of browsers that don't know how to handle long words.

So, there's not enough drama in drum corps? Hmm...

They're not looking close enough, IMO.

Jeesh, just realized I'm a full page behind in this thread. If already beaten to death, OK to ignore.

So, I read the whole thread, and I still ask: Who says there's not enough drama? I'd like to know how close they looked.

For instance, there's the story of the kid who had half of his foot blown off in Desert Storm. After a gruelling, painful recovery back at home and with his foot still wrapped, he went to a drum corps show. Bluecoats invited him, he called his Mom and said "See you at break", and got on the bus. He marched the entire season, carrying tenors and soaking his foot in ice when he wasn't on the field.

You want drama?

Let's see, times 150 kids in a corps, times 43 corps...surely they can find drama.

The rook-out?

The 15 year old?

except in the 3/4 minutes they have, they dont have time to dive into all of that. Plus, this group is not your every day drum corps.

• Like 1

So, there's not enough drama in drum corps? Hmm...

They're not looking close enough, IMO.

Jeesh, just realized I'm a full page behind in this thread. If already beaten to death, OK to ignore.

So, I read the whole thread, and I still ask: Who says there's not enough drama? I'd like to know how close they looked.

For instance, there's the story of the kid who had half of his foot blown off in Desert Storm. After a gruelling, painful recovery back at home and with his foot still wrapped, he went to a drum corps show. Bluecoats invited him, he called his Mom and said "See you at break", and got on the bus. He marched the entire season, carrying tenors and soaking his foot in ice when he wasn't on the field.

You want drama?

Let's see, times 150 kids in a corps, times 43 corps...surely they can find drama.

The rook-out?

The 15 year old?

I think what A LOT of people on here are forgetting is that "Drum Corps" was not auditioning for Americas Got Talent. A performing arts group called "The Edge" was. The drama you described, while great, is not even on the table. Any drama that would be associated with The Edge would be whatever associates with members of the group. What your describing in the quote above is like bundling all of today's vocal artists across the entire industry onto one 12 year old girl auditioning. If every DCI World Class drum corps went to audition for AGT then your quote above would be valid. But it ISN'T in this case because the two entities are separate.

The producers are not looking at The Edge as the face of Drum Corps, and we shouldn't either, because it's not. They are a branch off performing group...

Look... I was really hoping The Edge would make it through the first round.. but it didn't. It's simply not a style of music the general radio head turns to. You have to remember the scope of the show. What act would be successful setting up shop in Vegas and entertaining masses of people every day? IMO The Edge is not that. A great group, no doubt. But imagining people from all over the world buying tickets night after night to see them.... I'm sorry but lets be realistic here.

Drum Corps itself is NOT being attacked here.

And in all fairness, I would say to The Edge what I would say to any of the performers who don't make it onto these shows like American Idol, The Voice...etc.. If your really putting all of your hopes into one shot on a TV show, you were doomed to fail to begin with. (Not saying that is the case with The Edge).

It is not a failure that they didn't make it onto AGT. It's simply a road that is not open at this time. I'm sure they will move on in a different direction and be just fine. I commend what these people did. I certainly would not have the time, talent, energy, or drive to do what they have already done. I wish them all the success in the world moving forward. This just wasn't a great avenue for them at this time.

Go ahead.. dislike away. If nothing else, I know DCP keeps my inbox active. tongue.gif

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 4

Someone made a interesting observation over on FB that maybe it was Sterns early Radio days at Rochester. That he remembered Rochester didn't welcome him with open arms, and he holds a grudge, and the edge paid the price for that grudge.

Discuss???

Anyone who tunes in to Howard 100 even 20% of the time knows that Howard regularly credits the difficult times in his career for getting him where he is today. A lucrative 500 million dollar contract for 5 years. The most lucrative contract in broadcasting.. period. He rarely calls up the past in a negative light except for his days at NBC.

Right now, he has started a law suit against Sirius XM for parts of his contact not honored and he still praises them regularly for being a great company with great vision. Even a company he is legally fighting, he still speaks well of.

So to think he would hold his small time in Rochester against a performing group 20 years later, especially when it offers him ABSOLUTELY no gain in doing so, is completely absurd.

Likely one of the more ridiculous statements I've ever read on DCP.. and that's saying something.

Just to point out... I know it's just a repost from FaceSpace.

• Like 4

He was in the Bluecoats tenor line before he went to Desert Storm. Arriving home, he was understandably bummed out about things. There was an opening in the Bluecoats tenor line and while I don't remember the details of how he got involved again, (whether he approached the corps of they approached him), he ended up back at the corps and marched most of the show. I say "most" because there was a rapidly evolving drill movement for the drums that he was physically unable to keep up with. Steve Brubaker adjusted the drill to bring the tenors right to the very front immediately before this segment and again immediately after. He inconspicuously slipped into the pit during this part and then slipped back into the line after it. If one wasn't aware what was going on, they would miss it. There's a video sidebar on the PBS broadcast DVD about that.

Would he actually hold an almost 20 year grudge? Or are we stretching the perimeters of logic now?

20 years? First time I heard him was 1989 when working in Philly. Don't know if we picked up the NYC station or Philly had it in syndication. He played a bit the he supposed just found (or was given him) that he wondered got him fired from his first job. He was laughing about it so doubt if he was too upset.

Bit was called "Godzilla Goes to Harlem". Tame by todays standards and best line was "Godzilla? When did the Italians move here?". PS - Godzilla got mugged at the end.

There is another episode of AGT on tonight (Tuesday) at 9:00 EST (NBC).

Edited by Santana