The Sea Hawk

Watched it just this afternoon! Great movie, great score.

:lookaround::tongue:

Edited by JonW

By that, you mean breaking whole musical phrases into bite-sized chunks, then throwing them into a musical Cuisinart, so in the end, they're barely recognizable as coming from the same composition? Something like that? :cool:

No, I mean a modern drill with a new arraignment based on the whole composition.

• Like 1

Crap stage combat from Flynn, tho.....give me Rathbone/Power in The Mark of Zorro (1940) any day!

How about Flynn/Rathbone in 'Robin Hood'? That was on yesterday just before 'Sea Hawk' (was that AMC or TCM?). LOL, I DVR'ed Robin Hood and should have done both. :doh:

1980 Reading Buccs opened with SH in 1980 when they (sussfully) defended their DCA titla. LOL, have that on DVD and should watch that instead of the DVR.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I always associate “Sea Hawk” with 27th. It fit their sound and style. I also remember Guardsmen doing it, but 1980 was a tough year for them and they somewhat struggled with it.

Since most corps today usually decide on a show with a theme and select the music accordingly as opposed to the past when corps usually selected musical pieces they wanted to perform and shows did not necessarily have a unifying theme, I think it would depend on how it fit the show of a given corps.

If I had to think of a corps that could do justice to the piece, Blue Knights, perhaps due to last year’s show comes to mind. Boston Crusaders could also do it justice, but I’m not sure I could hear BAC do it, unless they were doing a tribute to their former rivals. BAC could also do it, not as a tribute to rivals, but also dig to their former competitor the Guardsmen. A high school friend marched with BAC. She and her friends claimed that the only reason Guardsmen made the finals was due not to their talent, or bribing the judges (that’s why North Star made it, according to this crew), but the fact they were well rested because the Guardsmen never had to do their own laundry. They couldn’t—they all had servants at home.

Now, if you are a former member of the Guardsmen, grew up in the wrong part of town without servants and worked for all you had, and dealt with your own dirty socks and grungy t-shirts, don’t jump down my throat. I’m only repeating a drum corps tale that probably isn’t true any more than Spirit of Atlanta dined on steak and lobster while everyone else ate hamburgers that were only 50% lean.

I always associate “Sea Hawk” with 27th. It fit their sound and style. I also remember Guardsmen doing it, but 1980 was a tough year for them and they somewhat struggled with it.

Since most corps today usually decide on a show with a theme and select the music accordingly as opposed to the past when corps usually selected musical pieces they wanted to perform and shows did not necessarily have a unifying theme, I think it would depend on how it fit the show of a given corps.

If I had to think of a corps that could do justice to the piece, Blue Knights, perhaps due to last year’s show comes to mind. Boston Crusaders could also do it justice, but I’m not sure I could hear BAC do it, unless they were doing a tribute to their former rivals. BAC could also do it, not as a tribute to rivals, but also dig to their former competitor the Guardsmen. A high school friend marched with BAC. She and her friends claimed that the only reason Guardsmen made the finals was due not to their talent, or bribing the judges (that’s why North Star made it, according to this crew), but the fact they were well rested because the Guardsmen never had to do their own laundry. They couldn’t—they all had servants at home.

Now, if you are a former member of the Guardsmen, grew up in the wrong part of town without servants and worked for all you had, and dealt with your own dirty socks and grungy t-shirts, don’t jump down my throat. I’m only repeating a drum corps tale that probably isn’t true any more than Spirit of Atlanta dined on steak and lobster while everyone else ate hamburgers that were only 50% lean.

Actually, BAC DID in fact play "The Seahawk" almost in its entirety 14 years ago. The show theme in 1998 was "Seascapes", using The Seahawk and Captain from Castille as the source material. The Korngold and Newman movie scores worked well together, plus giving the corps a great justification to end with Conquest. That year was one of several pivotal years where the corps found itself on the edge of extinction, but it perservered in any case and cracked the top 12 the very next year in 99. Great music (but brutal soprano notes...).

• Like 1

has anyone ever done this.

Yep

I played that piece in my HS marching band. tongue.gif

VK played a bit of it in their 1990 show to make fun of the Cavaliers!

Ah, I remember. That was the same show VK didn't play "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" in order to make fun of Blue Devils. :tongue: