Broken Arrow - where would they place at DCI?

49 members have voted

1. 1. Where would BA Place at the 2011 DCI Championships

• 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • 13th
    • 14th
    • 15th
    • 16th
    • 17th
    • 18th
    • 19th
    • 20th
    • 21st
    • 22nd
    • 23nd
    • 24th
    • 25th

For this exercise, I looked at the clip of Broken Arrow and imagined that the instruments were replaced with a drum corps horn line. If the kids had the same ability with these instruments, they would be competitive. The musical program is rather sophisticated and seemed to be reasonably good. The color guard moved throughout the show. I didn't find that the drum line came across all that well, though I would be willing to blame my computer sound system on that. I also don't think it was filmed from the best vantage point. Some of the maneuvering looked rather odd which I think was due to camera angle, it was hard to tell formations, and it did not look as clean as some drum corps shows this past summer. I say this based on this clip. Perhaps if I saw the show live, I'd be praising it to the hilt, but it is still a solid performance.

Now, how would it have placed at DCI? I'm going to use three corps I'm familiar with to make this decision: Jersey Surf, the Spartans, and 7th Regiment (25th, 26th, and 31st in prelims respectively). Based on this clip, I would say they are not as good as Surf or Spartans. They could be in 7th Regiment's range, but they'd have to be a bit more solid throughout. In Open Class they'd be a contender, World Class I'm not so sure, but if age out rather than graduation were the case, and this groups stayed together another two or three years, they'd be a force.

Most important point that should be agreed upon by all pageantry enthusiasts, whether band or drum corps after watching this clip: funding combined with a quality instructional staff makes for a wonderful program of musical quality. Support arts funding in schools!

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I've marched DCI with kids that competed at the same high school level (competed for BOA titles) as Broken Arrow, and the kids said that the levels of performance and demand between DCI and BOA are not comparable. I don't know what more you can want than that.

That said, the Broken Arrow program is obviously incredible and better than basically every high school program in the country. At least on the marching side. I have no idea how good their concert program is. The band I work with just went to our first BOA regional last year, so obviously Broken Arrow would wipe us off the field, haha.

I'm with Tim on this. And I don't think its disrespectful of Broken Arrow to place them in the third dozen of the DCI ladder. Performing more or less on par with these corps is a compliment. Few high school programs can come close to that level, which is why Broken Arrow placed where it did at BOA.

The difference between the best BOA bands and the best DCI corps is much the same as it is between the top of the DCI pyramid and its broader base. A greater concentration of maturity and talent combined with an instructional staff experienced with and prepared for success makes a difference.

HH

• Like 1

Honestly, after watching several VERY lackluster shows from the 2012 season:

Boston Crusaders, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Spirit, Troopers, Academy, Colts, Crossmen... etc etc etc.

I honestly think if everything was 'even' and such, Broken Arrow could have placed as high as 8th - 12th IMO.

This band executes at a level that is EASILY equivalent to most drum corps, and BETTER than several.

Flame me if you wish, but to ignore the obvious is just close-minded!

Obvious? Perhaps you have the advantage of having seen their 2011 show live in competition. I did not....and thus, evaluating based only on the YouTube link, I'd say the performance I see and hear there would belong somethere in the 8th-12th place range....in open-class.

I'll bet they performed much better than that in competition.

The BOA comparison comes up every year. There is no way a BOA band makes DCI finals, beats a World Class corps during finals week, etc etc so on and so on.

If this band showed up at DCI during finals week, and performed their show at the caliber of the YouTube video, as was allowed to compete with their instrumentation (and show length and rules etc) they would come in dead last in World Class. This is not meant to be a bust on bandos, I was once a bando, but a great high school band does not compare to a drum corps in August. Please stop posting these types of threads.

• Like 2

This poll is an absolute tragedy. As of this moment, two people have voted that Broken Arrow High School should have gotten 10th place in the 2011 DCI Finals over the MADISON SCOUTS. How could anyone be that... wrong?

I'll tell you what is wrong with the Broken Arrow show; nothin'.

Their individual marching technique/execution is great. You can tell they get good musicians coming into their program, as they play with marvelous musicality, in tune and with great emotion. The drum line had some clean moments, I'm not a guard person but their guard looked first class. I wasn't sure about the pit, but it looked like a bunch of synthesizers, not keyboards played with mallets. That's not a critique, just a comparison to what I've seen of World Class drum corps. The show design was great, and frankly, I loved all the music.

If you want an exact number for a DCI placement, I can't give you a good one because I don't know all the lower end corps that well, so don't take my guess as any kind of knowledgeable opinion. Still, to answer your question, I wouldn't put them much higher than 18th.

+++

Note to OP: Nice use of the new DCP Youtube policy so we can all view and comment on a common show. Well done, sir, you've set an excellent precedent.

Edited by wvu80

The BOA comparison comes up every year. There is no way a BOA band makes DCI finals, beats a World Class corps during finals week, etc etc so on and so on.

If this band showed up at DCI during finals week, and performed their show at the caliber of the YouTube video, as was allowed to compete with their instrumentation (and show length and rules etc) they would come in dead last in World Class. This is not meant to be a bust on bandos, I was once a bando, but a great high school band does not compare to a drum corps in August. Please stop posting these types of threads.

Totally agree. This is the most amazingly moronic thread I have seen in weeks. What I heard in that youtube clip was terrible. If anyone thinks that that level of performance approaches a DCI corps they are either in the Broken Arrow band themselves, or deaf and blind. Actually even a deaf and blind person would place them dead last. Not only was it terrible sounding quality wise, it was BORING.

Edited by ApathyJones