accent marching...just posted selling equipement

This kid is trying to play out his fantasy of being some kind of drum corps big shot. I've seen people around the activity like this before who can't wait to be the next George Hopkins, but never to this level of self delusion. It's ridiculous and kind of sad to watch. Chris Nagy is doing damage to his reputation which will follow him, and more importantly, like with the Eclipse disaster, he's doing damage to the reputation of legitimate startups and the drum corps activity. I sincerly hope that there are not band directors out there whose only interaction with drum corps has been through this guy.

Random sidebar...

Was a kid I marched with that was nicknamed "eclipse" because he wasn't all that small. It sucked ever being next to him because you had no way of knowing what was on the other side of him... he eclipsed anything beyond. You'd always get blamed if the set was fuzzy... because you couldn't see around him.

• Like 3

Anyone want to make a side bet as to what the next venture name will be?

I'll start the early vegas odds with:

5/2 - Eclipsing Accentures

10/1 - Ecliccent

25/1 - Acclipse

100/1 - Pipe Dream Drum & Bugle Corps

• Like 2

Anyone want to make a side bet as to what the next venture name will be?

Freedonia.

• Like 1

Freedonia.

7/1 - Freedonia

Just about as realistic as their business model and chance of fielding Eclipse next year....

I think Eclipse isn't in the works anymore; at least I haven't seen the Eclipse hot air balloon fly overhead lately.

Eclipse%20at%20X%20Hayes.jpg

• Like 1

And this image probably isn't a just reference, as it's about science fiction and fantasy.

blog+eclipse.jpg (Debating if a smilie would be overkill.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

Seriously, I wish them the best. If the business plan and execution were to work out, it could provide a valuable service to marching band members who don't have access to such training. And exposure to drum corps talent might get some new kids to come out for drum corps.

I wish to repost below an excerpt from some thoughts I had posted in the prior topic that has been closed. I hope that the spirit of these ideas are considered by those in a position of providing direction to the enterprise.

My personal preference would be to see a more modest business plan at first, taking such sessions to areas that aren't already swamped with great marching band programs that are chock full of good instructors. I suspect a less cosmopolitan setting for a pared down setting of hands-on camps could attract students from programs where not as much is happening as in the big programs in the major metropolitan areas. I think band directors might be more eager to send their students to such sessions if their students are not already exposed to practically year-round specialized marching instruction in their schools. (Marching band, winter guard, indoor marching percussion.)

Those schools in more major metropolitan areas with big marching programs may well have band directors and marching instructors/techs who might advise their students not to attend for the following reasons: (I'm proposing these possibilities from having known and/or worked with countless band directors over the decades...directors who are quite protective of their students.)

1) A band director or marching tech may ask, "What's the point?...My students are already receiving top-quality instruction that is paid for by the school/band program/band parents organization/students themselves."

2) Directors or instructors at the school would wonder if instructors at such a camp may provide suggestions and techniques contrary to what is being offered in the school program.

3) Directors or instructors at the school would wonder if instructors at such a camp may have substantially less experience working with students than instructors in an active marching band program.

4) Band directors are quite interested in knowing what the track record is of anyone they send their students to study with. They talk amongst themselves and share their experiences. And even in the most remote crevices of America, they have access to the Internet.

5) Directors and staff are concerned about students coming back from an experience with changed attitudes and even techniques and methods that may have to be "unlearned" if those techniques and methods don't gel with what is being taught at the school.

6) Directors and staff may wonder if they'll get any benefit from the hundreds of dollars their students will spend to attend such a workshop.

7) Directors and staff may be concerned if their students may return with a sour attitude if they don't get out of the workshop what they desire to get from it before they go in. The attitude of a grumpy student can be contagious.

8) Directors and staff may wonder what the fallout might be if they suggest their students attend outside workshops and the students come back with the attitude described above.

I restate that the idea for these workshops is potentially one that could be of a great benefit to many students. I certainly do hope that a workable plan can be put in place to attract the students who would benefit the most...students from schools and geographic regions that aren't saturated with their own specialized instructors already. I also wish a more affordable option becomes available for those who would benefit from this endeavor. (Much cost could be saved without the required hotel component.)

I want to believe everyone involved with this has their heart in the right place; but any such venture needs to be run as a business that expects to be around for a long time, intends to grow each year and doesn't try to come out of the chute like a Fortune 500 company.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

Eclipse%20at%20X%20Hayes.jpg

Does this have any connection to Bob Fields' "...old, leaky "Whats Happening" blimp" of the 1970's?